Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait, you can't do double bends on floyd's?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i play like a ham fisted ape, i can do a lot with a floyd. 4 or 5 springs makes a floyd pretty hard to change pitch from bending 1 string, tho i cant do that dumb bouncing floyd trick w that much spring tension. oh yeah & i can do dropped D & i only have to tweak the G string slightly. granted if i used 2 springs i probably couldnt do it, & could probably do the bouncy trick...but F it, i play chunka chunka chugga not meddley meddley weeeee most of the time....

Comment

I think the point of this discussion is that you will never reach a definitive conclusion. Its all opinion. They are musical instruments for personal expression. There is such a thing as bad technique I guess, but no wrong way or right way of playing the things. Some people's thumbs are longer than their arms, some people don't have any thumbs or fingers at all. I reckon you read through the pages, you make your choices, but going back to the original post, I would have thought anyone who has the funds for an RR1 would know the score anyway, as they would have worked their way through other secondhand Japanese Jacksons first.

I am not old school by any means, but I grew up with fixed bridges, namely Les Pauls. My first guitar was a strat copy and I found I had to arch my hand backwards and bend my thumb over to play the thing near the bridge, kind of like a speed picking technique, just because the bridge was so low. I hated that technique as I'm lazy and heavy handed. So I got a Les Paul and played with my thumb bow backed and relaxed.

Recently I've built myself a Kramer bullseye copy with a Schaller non recessed floyd. Coming from a TOM bridge background, I love it, as you can tension the springs up real tight and the bridge sits at the same level as a TOM bridge, if they are over tensioned you fit a trem stop on the back. You can do the same as you can do on the TOM Bridge guitars with it and more.

I also have an SL3 which is a beaut. I love it but as it has the recessed, double locking floyd I do not like the lower bridge height greatly. Also it has 09's or 10's on it, so i has a fairly light string tension with the bridge parallel to the body. I do not play it with the locking not undone. Honestly on this guitar, to do the blues stuff I do on the TOM Bridge guitars with loads of open and plucked strings whilsts holding various bends would be a real effort for me. It would necessitate an almost Jerry Donahue type of string bending which is way too complicated for what it actually is. However I could do it on the single locking Kramer copy, if the spring tension is up and it has a trem stop, or perhaps on the SL3 if I fitted 11 gauge strings and beefed up the springs...but that one is a maybe.

Regarding playing with the locking nut off on a Floyd guitar - it is just meant to be a demonstration. It shows that the strings are more elastic the longer they are, so bends do feel slinkier without a locking nut. This feels more natural to me. For me, a floating recessed floyd just feels wrong. I'm sorry, but for me the springs seem to sap something out of my music that was there before with a TOM Bridge, or even a non recessed floyd, it makes everything sound.....conventional.

I will try 11's on the SL3 though and 5 springs....but then it won't trill will it? You so much as breath on it and it starts whammying the way it is set up. But then that is testament to how well its set up, so why ruin it? I just use it for some stuff.

My final point is that if you like light string gauges, maybe because you are used to Gibson scale lengths, then a floating floyd can be VERY sensitive and there ain't nothing you can do about that but lock it down, and what is the point in doing that?

TOM bridge RR1 with 009's! and I want one....and a Charvel Pro Mod first maybe but.

Anyway, its all only words. I reckon you buy whatever looks the sexiest in the shop and get so stoked every time you so much as even look at it that you learn to play it well and mould yourself around it.

And to explain my language, by single locking I don't mean single locking, I mean non recessed, by double locking, I mean recessed. By gratcha pooed my pants wwwanksers, I mean 10 pints of the strong warm stuff or so, maybe less on a warm day...
      Last edited by ginsambo; 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

No, there is a definitive conclusion and it goes like this: anything you can do on a hard-tail you can do on a Floyd.

Dude, what are you on about? The strings are NOT longer with the locking nut undone, otherwise the intonation would be fucked every time you take off the nut locks. That makes no sense. I think what you're trying to say is that the strings have more give but then again the whole point of having a Floyd is so that the stings stay at EXACTLY the same position every time the bridge returns to zero-point. Also, if you play using lighter string gauges chances are you don't play that hard to begin with so your point about it being very sensitive is moot. Personally speaking i play pretty much percussively and have never had any of the Floyd-related 'issues' that were mentioned in this thread.

I've had 12 gauge strings with three springs in the back and tuned to C# and i could get it to trill easily, i don't see why you can't with 11's. But five springs is a bit excessive.
        Last edited by Devotee; 09-14-2011, 06:30 PM. Reason: typo
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          If your a physicist, its going to be an awful boring debate. if your not a physicist, its going to be an awful boring debate. Its physics!
          750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
          Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Why wont this thread die???? :dead:
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by 3reach View Post
              Wait, you can't do double stop bends of floyd's?
              On floyd's what, exactly?
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by SixstringKing View Post
                Oh this looks like it might get good!

Told you so!!!!! :dead:
                You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

I dont know, I think this thread is ripe for a derailment.
                  HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                    I dont know, I think this thread is ripe for a derailment.
                    Well, can you do double stop bends on THIS Floyd?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                      Well, can you do double stop bends on THIS Floyd?

This only proves one thing, Andy.

Whats that Floyd?

IF you want to get a good suit, you need to go to Mont Pilat.
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Floyd Rose, any good?

Comment

Screw it just get a Kahler!
                          It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                            On floyd's what, exactly?
                            On Floyd's nuts!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              On Floyd's nuts!
                              R3 or R4?
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

The big one... R5!
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X