Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait, you can't do double bends on floyd's?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, at least it wasn't on poor little R2's nuts.
    You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

OK, my guitars with a TOM bridge and no locking nuts go no more out of tune than my SL3. None of them go out of tune unless you've just got them out in the sun from a cold case. You can tune TOM bridge guitars easily whilst you are still playing, for floating floyded guitars, it's an every string process which takes at least three repeated runs over the six strings.

Also you can't play along and solo to a Bon Scott era AC/DC LP with a floating floyd. It would make you tear you're hair out.

TOM bridge guitars are straight forward plug and play rock n' roll, no pain and no brain needed.

Floating floyd guitars completely eliminate the blues rock 'chatter' that, in addition to the notes, is an integral part of the sound dynamic and energy of the music.

R none....I'm out!
      Last edited by ginsambo; 09-15-2011, 03:16 PM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post

Also you can't play along and solo to a Bon Scott era AC/DC LP with a floating floyd. It would make you tear you're hair out.
        I have`nt jammed those albums out for a few years but just a few notes from out of the memory banks...
        If you tune up to the song `Go Down` which is somewhere between G# and A you should be right for the most part of the rest of that `Let There Be Rock` album. There are a few others here and there, e.g the song `Rock`N`Roll Singer` is tuned just below B.
        `Dirty Deeds` , `Powerage` and `Highway to Hell` (just going from memory here) are all in concert pitch as too is the live album from that era :think:

...So now that I`ve thrown in my 2 cents...

Last time I was at my techs shop we were still trying to sort out the trem on my Wildcard...
        We had it plugged in with a clean tone, just noodling around on it and passing it to each other when he said to me...
        "If you block the trem you can do double stop bends in tune"...
        I said "Fucken what???? I`ve been bending out of tune have I???"
        and then he`s done the big Hendrix double stop bend (with exactly the same fingering as that Hammet pic that Trem posted) and it sounded unreal so I said... "Don`t block it, just leave it as it is"...

This is fun hey?
        Last edited by Mr Sandman; 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

OK, my guitars with a TOM bridge and no locking nuts go no more out of tune than my SL3. None of them go out of tune unless you've just got them out in the sun from a cold case. You can tune TOM bridge guitars easily whilst you are still playing, for floating floyded guitars, it's an every string process which takes at least three repeated runs over the six strings.
          Nope. A slight tweak on one of the fine tuners isn't going to cause the other strings to significantly change pitch. Large changes will, but on a well setup Floyd, large changes shouldn't be necessary.

I have on occasion (on an outdoor gig on a cold evening) needed to unlock the nut and retune the whole guitar. Easily done between songs or sets, takes a matter of moments. Get your singer to fill or the rest of the band to goof around while you do it. Should only be necessary once for the gig.

alternatively, you can pop your LP back in its sleeve, pop a CD or mp3 of a Bon Scott era album into any number of software packages available for your computer and tweak the tuning of the album to suit whichever guitar you are using - regardless of whether it has a Floyd or not.
          TOM bridge guitars are straight forward plug and play rock n' roll, no pain and no brain needed.
          plenty of brainless dudes like me playing straight forward plug and play rock n' roll on a Floyded guitar.

Floating floyd guitars completely eliminate the blues rock 'chatter' that, in addition to the notes, is an integral part of the sound dynamic and energy of the music.
          what is this blues rock 'chatter' of which you speak? Can you buy it at the same place you buy 'mojo'?

R none....I'm out!
          already?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

ginsambo is just butthurt because everyone can do double and even triple bends but him.

Blues rock chatter? Really man? Really?
            It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Guy's..... Ever feel like you're just banging your head against a brick wall??? The naysayers will never get it! Understand!! They obviously haven't played any guitars with Floyds or ones that were set up properly. You are waisting your breath! You, me, we can play obviously anything on our Floyd equipped guitars with no problems at all. Bend this, trill that, anything from AC/DC to BB King and everything in between! Can't play AC/DC on a Floyd'd guitar?? Buddy, I've never ever slagged anyone on their playing ability but if you can't play a solo by Angus on a Floyd'd guitar (I've been doing it for 28 years) well... Lose a couple of string and start learning Cliff's parts.
              You paid for Platinum..But you're gonna get Gold! - horns666

Comment

I'm laughing at the idea that you can't play heavy music on a Floyd'ed guitar... I've been using them for over 20 years and at least in my younger days played nothing but the heaviest speed and thrash metal we could think of. With .009 strings, uphill both ways, AND WE LOVED IT.

Comment

CD's are the work of satan man. They are clipped compared to LP's. You can really notice if bats keep you awake at night. Also I pissed on a few of them and they didn't play after that, an LP however would have survived that scenario. The government here want to move to ban analogue radio, just so they can free up the frequencies to sell off more of our infrastructure to foreign mobile phone investors and get more more income from the amount of digital radio stations you can fit into the bandwidth. Problem is all the digital radio stations clip the music to about a third of the info on CD's, so they sound awful, especially when listening to classical.

Take an analogy, Floated floyd guitars are like Cd's compared to LP's. I can play everything I want on the SL3 that I play on my other guitars, anything new I can usually figure out by listening to it. But I never feel at home with the shape and bridge height of the SL3 and it always sounds more clinical than on my TOM Bridge guitars, which I don't like. My action is set pretty high as I play with 009's or 10's and they are usually cheap, because otherwise the strings buzz. I will say my leanings these days are exploring Chet Atkins, Chicken Pickin or classical and old school very early '80's metal, but there are some good new thrash bands about like Lasarus AD. But, Ha Ha, they all play TOM bridges.

I have this image in my mind of all locking nut guitar players spending hours tuning fastidiously to tuning devices and TOM Bridge players just striking an open chord and tuning up all the strings before the high E has even started to fade in reasonance.

Yeah you can play Johnny b Goode on an SL3 with a few minutes practice, but it is a damn sight more direct, uncomplicated and sounds better IMO on a TOM Bridge guitar. When you play on a SL3, you are going all Jerry Donahue, bending up the two double stopped high strings half a semitone with your first finger, whilst bending the third string up a step with you third. And 2 and 2 & 1/2 step bends are a nightmare, especially when playing other strings whilst holding the bend as the bridge rocks forward so much.

I for one am not for conversion. But both style of guitars have their merits.

But, between you and me, if I could find a Jackson with a floating floyd at the height of a non recessed floyd, I'd probably quit moaning.

Although I'm looking to get a pro mod as one of my main guitars, that is about my limit. I would never get another floating floyd equiped guitar and that includes the RR1. In fact it pisses me that the majority of Jackson professional USA models have a recessed floyd as standard. Grover jackson would understand where I'm coming from!
                  Last edited by ginsambo; 09-16-2011, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Comment

• ginsambo, as an audio systems engineer, i can tell you that CDs have a wider dynamic range than LPs. How does that fit into your (illogical) analogy of a CD vs LP / Floyd vs TOM?
                      I can also tell you that digital radio uses MPEG or AAC encoding depending but usually the overall quality is like that of an mp3.

At this point you're just grasping at straws really. I bet if Chet Atkins had a Floyd, he could have done some crazy shit.

Anyway, let's take this opportunity to appreciate some nice asses:

It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

• WOW.............

this thread has goes to eleven.

If you guys need me, I will be in my woodshed trying to learn to play johnny b goode on a floyded guitar. see you next spring.
                        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• you'll never get there, tone. You're missing that blues rock chatter
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

• Nothing like a bad analogy!

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              you'll never get there, tone. You're missing that blues rock chatter
                              you know, I think your right. I should just give up playing guitar. I mean the floyd thing just ruint me.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• Damn floyd rose illuminati. Its a conspiracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X