Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait, you can't do double bends on floyd's?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3reach View Post
    If you would have read I understand it now...
    So its possible to do Hetfield-hard palm mutes, double stops, and open string-bends, all while staying in tune?
    I did read it, you asked the same redundant question, so i didn't read it as an acknowledgment.

I'll add that as far as if i was doing a song specifically with an open string ringing while doing a bend or it was an important part of a riff, yes i'd probably use a hardtail for that. But it's not something i usually do so it has never been an issue for me.
    Last edited by Trem; 09-12-2011, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I want it to use it when I need to highlight certain notes, rather than use it non stop throughout songs like certain famous guitar players today
      All I've got to say is Jeff Beck. Although he doesn't use a Floyd, he does use the trem non-stop to great effect and it's beyond tasteful. Why do you bother comparing your style to 13 year old YouTubers? Personally, I would never say I was going to limit myself and say "I'll never play this or that." I'm open to any new technique I can learn. I'm not sure there is such a thing as "abusing" a Floyd unless you use a hammer. If you are a good player you are a good player. If you suck, chances are you won't have great Floyd technique either.

As far as double bends and palm muting go...they are a huge part of my playing, and I don't own a guitar that doesn't have a Floyd.

I REALLY want a trem, its just these things I learned have steered me away.

So its possible to do Hetfield-hard palm mutes, double stops, and open string-bends, all while staying in tune? Then why have other lots of other people on here and other forums who had floyds say they couldnt do these things and sold their guitars because of it?

Are there any vids of someone with an unmodified floyd doing all these things?
      Things you've learned? Just because someone tells you something or its written on the internet doesn't make it fact. Run down to a guitar shop and try it for yourself! Not sure why you mention "Hetfield-hard." A Metallica type mute is still just deadening the strings over the trem posts, not pushing back on the Floyd at the fine tuners. If people on forums couldn't pull that off, you're putting too much stock in opinions from forum members that can't really play.
      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
        I'm not sure there is such a thing as "abusing" a Floyd unless you use a hammer.
        reminds me of way back in the day when the rumor was that Steve Vai used to whammy so heavily that he would wear out one Floyd Rose a week. I dont know where that one originated, but it was the biggest load of bullshit I ever heard.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          reminds me of way back in the day when the rumor was that Steve Vai used to whammy so heavily that he would wear out one Floyd Rose a week. I dont know where that one originated, but it was the biggest load of bullshit I ever heard.
          I thought that was "until the almighty Ibanez Edge Pro" or whatever... Yes, only the Ibanez copy of the OFR can stand up to Steve Vai's whammy abuse.

Comment

I REALLY want a trem, its just these things I learned have steered me away.
            those things you have learned are untruths. You now have here a thread full of people who can refute every Floyd issue you have "learned"
            So its possible to do Hetfield-hard palm mutes, double stops, and open string-bends, all while staying in tune? Then why have other lots of other people on here and other forums who had floyds say they couldnt do these things and sold their guitars because of it?
            Lots of people on here? Which JCFers are you talking about? They must be sought out and bitchslapped for their pussitude.

As others have stated, palm muting is no big thing. Guys like Hetfield aren't wasting bunches of energy pushing their fists through the faces of their guitars to palm mute - they apply just enough pressure to make the strings "chugga chug". No problem on a Floyd.

Double stops are just two note chords. The type of bridge has no bearing on your ability to play them. No problem on a Floyd.

Open-string bends? Even easier on a Floyd - pull back on the bar, bend the string up. But something you can't do on a Tele without detuning a string - depress the bar and make the note go down! Release the bar and return exactly to pitch. Amazing!! No problem on a Floyd.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

maybe you need a heavy duty Floyd, one that will hold up to hetfield chugging palm muting and steve vai whammying. that should work for you too.

Comment

Does anyone know if there are differences in weight between RR1 and RR1T? I have back problems, the lighter the better.

Comment

I haven't weighed mine, but they feel pretty much the same to me. Of course no two RR1T will weigh the same anyways.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

been playing Floyds since '85. never had many problems getting any sound or style I want out of them. if I do, I improvise. playing guitar is an art form.

Comment

Floating floyds aside from single locking ones, I hope all this just comes down to personal perference. There is fact and there is fiction but I will stand by what I've said. This issue is probably a big divide.

But just one last thing, try this. Try playing with the locking nut undone on a floating double locking floyd guitar.....feels good don't it!

Ha ha!
                      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Why the far gone hell is this thread still getting replies???
                        HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                          Floating floyds aside from single locking ones, I hope all this just comes down to personal perference. There is fact and there is fiction but I will stand by what I've said. This issue is probably a big divide.
                          I think there may be some issues with the terms you are using. How do you define single- or double-locking trems?

You asserted in your first post that double-locking trems sit lower on the guitar. Whether a Floyd is single- or double-locking has no bearing on its height relative to the guitar. I have non-recessed double-locking Floyds that sit a half inch above the deck. I used to own a guitar with a non-recessed single-locking Floyd that sat on the face of the guitar - not recessed, but as low as you could go ie. no pullup.

Double-locking is where the string is clamped down at the nut and also by a string block where the string enters the bridge. Locked at both ends.

Single-locking is where the string is clamped down at the nut, but often fed through from the back of the guitar or the back of the bridge with the ball end still attached. Only locked at one end, the nut. That the bridge-end of the string is not clamped down means that with movement of the bridge, the string can move in its seat. So it is more likely to go out of tune. Much less effective than a double-locking Floyd.

The Kahler flatmount is an example of a single locking system. The ball end sits on a hook, the string is only clamped at the nut end.

You also said that by using a tremolo block, you make it a single-locking trem. How so?

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
                          But just one last thing, try this. Try playing with the locking nut undone on a floating double locking floyd guitar.....feels good don't it!
                          I do. On a couple of my guitars, I haven't locked the nut. Makes no difference to the playability of the guitar, beyond the fact that I don't use the trem on those guitars at all. Don't even install the whammy bar.

If that's how you're using your SL3, it's little wonder that you're experiencing tuning problems though.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

This thread is eternal.

Comment

An RR will weigh 6 or 7 pounds, give or take 5 pounds.

The only thing that a Floyd does "wrong" is makes bends a little harder on the first couple of frets. Other than that, if you can't get it done, it ain't the guitar IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                                An RR will weigh 6 or 7 pounds, give or take 5 pounds.
                                thats just what I thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X