Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait, you can't do double bends on floyd's?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gone back to my original problem now which is that the vol pot is well in the wrong place for me on my SL3, I wore the tape holding it out and I keep hitting it and turning it down.

I'II fix that first as have been advised already. Played it so much yesterday I put a gurt stratch to the primer in the back of it. Don't worry about stuff like that, as its on the back and its for playing eh, but at the back of my mind, I do worry that one day I will wake up and worry and be depressed about it though or maybe someone else might worry about it one day. But that doesn't worry me, maybe it kind of does. To me buckle rash is a sign of a good guitar with experience though. I'm always wary of 'mint' guitars. I know some people do keep them that way, but its like an engine, you can't leave them standing for too long as the condensation will start to rust the cylinder walls and if its got no marks you kind of wonder if the player really dug it and maybe they rejected it because it couldn't cut it. Obviously you don't drop it or put a big chip or dent in it, but I think I'm in a minority there with that attitude towards used guitars though.

I have a habit of wrecking strap button fixings also, as I press down so hard on the thing when I get a bit carried away. You know how it is, when its sounding good, its so good, you just wanna eat the thing, its so wholesome. I need some longer screws.

The way the SL3 is set up now isn't very rock and roll anyhow, with 009's and the bridge parallel against the body, which is how I guess I should set it up, it obviously doesn't suit my style, as when you play notes hard and you can hear it detune slightly as the springs give in response to your pick hand. Anyway 11's or maybe two extra springs will fix that.

Without the hand rest bridge technique on bends, it sounds bad man, in a bad way. Too out of tune for anything. But with the hand rest thing you can do unison bends easy, a few runs and then end out with a violent bar dive vibrato on a pinched harmonic...cool! Its still set up very light, too light for me I think, but don't know whether to change it or just use the guitar for some stuff and adapt to it a the lightly setup floating trem can do some crazy stuff if you are careful. Also notice that I wear frets out quite fast. Around 6-8 months and its starting to buzz from the unworn upper frets on the lower string up around the 18-24th fret. Bloody thing has started to buzz a little bit on D and G strings and the action is fairly high still. My other guitars are like that. 12 months max without a fret dress. I though Jumbo's might last a bit longer than that though and didn't think I played it that much really.

Anyway its nice to have something completely different to the TOM Bridge guitars as, mostly due to the Jackson radius fretboard, it does pull something else out of you and its not good to be stale and tread water and stay the same eh.
    Last edited by ginsambo; 09-18-2011, 03:19 AM.
    You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

• Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
      C'mon, have some balls and just let your freakin bend go a little flat, you're playing rock 'n roll for Christ's sake. It's supposed to be fugly. When you start playing your Floyded Jackson in the symphony, we'll worry about your bends being in tune perfectly. You're talking about playing AC/DC?...when have their guitars been in tune perfectly? And better yet, when will you be rocking a little Whole Lotta Rosie in a bar and have a drunk patron come up and criticize that one or two of your bends went a little flat....jeez.
      ^^^^^^^ I agree with EVERYTHING BayRocker has just said here....

I really appreciate what ALL you guys are trying to achieve with this discussion but when things like this go in the direction of the physics of elementry guitar construction (and a few other things as well) then I`ve got absolutely no idea what the fuck any of you guys are actually talking about... :think:

and as for my `technique`... It`s a simple as this. I don`t have one!!!
      I just plug in and play the fucking guitar!!!

Being someone who considers themselves a `blues player` and having recently switched to floyded guitars (all of them being Charvels) after over 20 years of playing a hardtail strat I gotta say this though....
      Be it a recessed or non-recessed floyd with locking nuts or wing nuts.
      Maple or rosewood fretboard with single coil, humbuckers or triple treats and some uppers, downers or all rounders my approach to playing these guitars will be exactly the same... Just give me one those Pro-Mods and I`ll just plug it in and play that fucking guitar without considering any `special technique`whatsoever!!!

I`m a self taught player who learnt guitar from tuning up and playing to old AC/DC albums and yeah, I always found that tuning up to that `Let There Be Rock` album to be a particulary suspect task but I also understand that your ears and my ears may be hearing some completely different things...

So having said all that here`s a scratch of my blues playing for you`se all to see and hear on my `Fully Operational Floating Death Star #5` guitar... hahahaha!!!

I`ve got absolutely no problem whatsoever with showing you guys my playing on this subject because after all, this is the internet and it`s full of people who will tell you black`N`blue that Kirk Hammet, nah nothing great, Dave Murry/ Adrian Smith don`t really rate and Eric Clapton never really did anything outstanding on blues guitar...

I cut this track on my Apple Mac so you might have to plug the cans in to get anything out of it sound wise and yeah, there`s a few glaring clams in there towards the end of it but there`s also plenty of other people on the internet who claim to be able to speak with authority about what`Authentic Blues` actually is that will also tell you black`N`blue that those mistakes have to be there cause that what makes it real... It actually makes me cringe but as quoted above...
      It`s all Rock`N`Roll in the end!

So what authority do I have to speak with on the subject of `authentic blues`???
      ...not alot except for the fact that I can tell you that I have actually have done time on cotton farms (albeit in outback New South Wales)...

...and if your wondering where all those funny little slurs in my playing come from it`s from my biggest influence and all time fav player... ANGUS YOUNG!
      Interestingly enough, when Angus first started with AC/DC all those years ago down here he was also sometimes referred to as "The king of out of tune bends"...

You`re a tough crowd in here so for ANYONE whose gonna slag on my double stop bends, slurs and overall tone... Well, I guess we`ll all be listening to your cut next and I presume it will be brimming with `Blues/Rock Chatter`

Cheers`N` Beers~...

ROCK ON!!!

Comment

• I'm not gonna slag that. Its kind of very laid back off the beat, melodic style and I kind of like it actually. But I probably play about 10 kilo newtons heavier than you do with the force of He Man and She Ra and all of the Masters of the Universe put together.

Also, from the video it is obvious that you have a physical advantage as your right hand is noticeably larger than your left, which must make it easier for reaching over and playing nearer the neck.

I have no technology, I will try and put something up and show you what I mean, just have to find the USB connection on my cassette recorder...

Comment

• I was wondering if I can buy some blues rock chatter and have it installed on my floyd? can I bolt it right on to the block? maybe that would help me out. any ideas? where can I buy some?
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• I have some, in a jar my the shed. Isn't cheap though and will cost you.

I can't believe nobody gets me....

Ass. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

I'm just writing the official Wikipedia description now, just so as you all know it does exist.

Comment

• Floyds RULE, end of story...chatter be damned!

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 07-31-2012, 04:56 PM.
                Just a guitar player...

Comment

• Originally posted by texasfury View Post
                  ginsambo, no one gets you because NO ONE knows what THE FUCK "blues rock chatter" is. This is obviously some private term you've come up with. How about you explain it, or better yet, PLAY IT. No excuses about how you can't record. I'll even CALL YOU and you can play into your phone and I'll record it myself and post it.

NO EXCUSES.
                  It's actually been explained, recently in fact. Amazing how useful that search box at the top can be eh?
                  In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

• Its quite amazing modern technology hasnt been able to solve the problem of double stop bends on floyds. I mean hey, they put men on the moon over 40 years ago, but they cant build a quiet vacuum cleaner or a floyd that will do double stop bends.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• ginsambo's last post in this thread was September last year, and this thread has just been revived for what? To call him out over a turn of phrase?! "Blues rock chatter" has become a running joke around here. I mean, who really gives a shit?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                      X