No announcement yet.

Lost Rhoads Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignore my post above. Missed what Diego said. It definitely makes more sense that it was supposed to have a floyd all along. This leads to the question, why did they go with a v-trem in '98? Mike or Grover didn't remember what the original build was going to be? Rob just really wanted a v-trem?

Comment

• Originally posted by dg View Post
      It definitely makes more sense that it was supposed to have a floyd all along. This leads to the question, why did they go with a v-trem in '98? Mike or Grover didn't remember what the original build was going to be? Rob just really wanted a v-trem?
      Mike knew exactly what is was to be as he had to re angle the neck for the V trem. Rob wanted a V trem because Randy never had a Floyd - so it makes since to complete a RR guitar with a V trem instead..

Comment

• nevermind...
        Last edited by paulbag; 02-15-2007, 08:00 PM.
        Hear the universe scream
        Bleeding from black holes
        Whom horns careless
        And whom God mourns

Comment

• Cool, Hoss. Understood. I guess it made sense not to make something Randy never played, but my feeling is that if Grover or Mike said it was possibly going to be Randy's first floyded guitar, it would've also been cool to finish the build in the way it was originally intended. Plus, I'm a floyd guy.
          Last edited by dg; 02-15-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Did anyone who read the article in the new GW see anything about a price Sean paid for the Rhoads in the guitar store when he obtained it? Did Grover divulge what the original selling price of the "missing link Rhoads" was at NAMM?

Comment

• Here's what the article says that should give you an idea of the answer to your 1st question:

The NAMM show "lucky purchaser was a guy named Mike. Neither Jackson nor Clegg know his last name. Apparently, Mike didn't realize what he had: a few months after the NAMM show, he traded the guitar to a music store in Long Beach, CA for some far more ordinary gear. Young Sean Clegg was working at the shop as a guitar teacher, valued for his knowledge of Randy Rhoads riffs. When Mike presented the guitar, Clegg's eyes nearly popped out of his head. He knew immediately that he had to own it.

"We gave the guy a Neal Schon model Aria ProII guitar, a Roland Jazz Chorus amp, some cords and whatever other small accessories he wanted, in exchange for the Randy guitar. It added up to a couple thousand dollars retail." It was, however, more than Clegg could afford. Fortunately, his employer was looking out for him. "I was 17 years old, and my boss was sort of a father figure and mentor to me. He and my mother pitched in and helped me get the guitar." Clegg's boss let him work off his repayment, and the young guitarist saved up to pay back his mother. Within a year, Clegg had repaid the debts and was putting the guitar to use regularly. "I was already playing in local bands at the time, so for my first 10 years with the guitar I was just shredding on it constantly."

Comment

• Originally posted by diego_inc View Post
                Hossman,
                Can you give me more details about the neck angle... the story from Grover was pretty fuzzy as he did not remember it all.
                D
                The Body Angle was wrong - Body was cut for a V Trem and the neck was set for a Floyd - but it was wrong for ether one.. Remember this was a early floyd on a new body style.
                That is one reason this one was sent to the case guy to use as a template.
                Mike redid the body angle for Rob 1n 1998 and said that guitar was amazing when he finished.. He was very happy with the final guitar..

Cheers Diego Hope that helps..
                Call me anytime man - long time no talk
                Last edited by Hossman; 02-16-2007, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Thanks for that info Mountain Dog. So I would suppose he paid around $2000 in both working it off and with cash. I would imagine that it would have been around that much when "Mike" bought it at NAMM then. Wasn't the list price back then around $1900 for a new Jackson? Of course, this was a "custom" model, so it was probably more than that, would you say?

Comment

• This all happened in 1983. For reference, I bought a purple/black jagged Bengal Jackson RR V brand new from Guitar Center in 1987 for $1749 out the door w/case. Also, things at NAMM get sold for dealer prices a lot, and one would wonder if the "Mike" that bought it was walking around NAMM with $2000 in his pocket.

But, yeah, somewhere between $1500 to $2000 seems reasonable to assume at this point.

Comment

• If you consider inflation that was almost 5000 dollars by todays standards!!

Comment

• Whatever the case, I think he got a helluva deal, even at $2000!!! No doubt! I just would like to know the whole story from beginning to end, and from what I gather, this Sean guy is not giving all the details. Of course, he may not know them all, but you know... it would be cool to trace it back.

Comment

• i think the clegg guy looks like cousin oliver in the brady bunch !!!! execpt he grew up and turned cool...oliver not clegg!! lol

Comment

• Lost Rhoads Found

I lookde up some old pics of Vinnie Vincent's guitar when he joined KISS on the Creatures tour and noted the same Jackson logo with reverse inlays on his metallic gold w/ Floyd.He actually had it painted pink for the Lick it up tour.I have seen pics of the back of the pink guitar revealing the original gold paint.

Comment

• OK, I finally got my hands on that goddamn magazine and read the article on the lost Rhoads. I dunno, but I did not detect one bit of "self promotion" in that article, and the description of the guitars features, though slightly enhanced and/or foggy, are pretty accurate. I really think the article is a good read, although I wish it were in more detail, but that's all we get. I think Clegg's detractors in this thread are maybe just a wee bit jealous (as I am, but at least I gave the guy a fair shake). And when he says he might sell it someday to pay for a house on the hill, well - he just might get that wish in reality. That guitar has got to be one of the, if not THE, most desirable collectable Jackson that could be available to the public (obviously, Randy's are not and probably never will be), so I can't see a reason why this guitar shouldn't bring as much money as the market will bear should he decide to sell it.

Comment

• Poo-Poo!! I would think 10k at best or what I would pay. Also went to a guitar traders house who has evh ripley (all wood) prototype. He had pictures docs and all. I asked how much??? He said this guitar will retire me and my childrens children-Well he put it up on ebay and the highest bid was $475.00 with no reserve before he pulled it with 20 hours to go. We always may wish or think its worth but it always don't always work out that way...

Comment

Working...
                                X