Lost Rhoads Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
    Agreed. But the owner talks about the bevels in a way that is misleading, leaving the impression that Randy's earlier versions didn't have bevels and they are one of the "unique" features of his early guitar.

I don't hold anything against the guy for talking up the guitar's rarity and trying to make a buck. As long as he were to try and get the facts straight. But he throws a lot of inaccurate BS in there, and does it in a way that is very smarmy used car salesman-ish.

The clincher for me was looking back in the magazine's classifieds. It wasn't enough for the choad to get the full article spread, but then he went and bought ad space for himself in the back, too. What an @ss.

You know, just because of the history of this guitar and the mystery surrounding it, I have no problem with the guitar going for 30k or more. I just don't was this douche to make that money. This guy it just so slimey, and he has to pose with the guitar, no one cares about HIM, just so the f'n guitar.

this guy is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame and a huge pay day.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

• Originally posted by eakinj View Post
      This guy it just so slimey, and he has to pose with the guitar, no one cares about HIM, just so the f'n guitar.

this guy is just trying to get his 15 minutes of fame and a huge pay day.
      I agree with you.

I get a few Muscle Car magazines, and they routinely do write ups on special cars (recently a 1970 Plymouth Superbird as an example). The article has lots of pics of the car, lots of detail on history and past owners. Then at the end of the article is a 2" square pic of the current owner and a couple sentences about him/her.

The car comes first, with the current owner almost as a footnote. Would have been nice to see the Guitar World Jackson V article written similar to that method.

Comment

• If anyone from this board had that guitar there would be praise and rose petals would be thrown with reckless abandon as they walked. The guitar seems legit and the guy has every right to be getting his 15 minutes. Be happy for him and happy the 'missing link' has been found.

I still don't think it is worth 30K however.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
          If anyone from this board had that guitar there would be praise and rose petals would be thrown with reckless abandon as they walked. The guitar seems legit and the guy has every right to be getting his 15 minutes. Be happy for him and happy the 'missing link' has been found.

Historically I think it's worth a good deal of money. I wouldn't pay anywhere near 30k for it but certainly understand why someone would.

My issue (after buying the mag and reading it) is I just feel dirty. I don't know why, I mean the guy got it legally and all that and good for him, but it's those damn pictures of him and the add he took out that says "Hear America's latest guitar sensation!" Did I miss something? If this dip sh*t hadn't been the lucky owner of a guitar that has (or *had*) a great deal of mystery behind it no one would know (or care about) him. It's a story made on television... People mentioned him looking like that actor and it's almost scary because this all feels like a bad tv show. Like some how this guy will ride the guitars coattails right into Hollywood and it'll all be a giant scam and in the end he'll save a puppy from a fire and none of us will hate him for pulling a fast one on us.

yeah, i need to lay off the crack. sorry.

I dunno. For all I know this guy could be a saint and is just taking a great opportunity, but it still feels slimy. Why now? Why not 10 years ago? I'm unclear on what his motivation was to come forward now
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

• if i had the money to burn, i would think about getting it. the guitar deserves to be shrined and i would send it to a place like EMP, rock & roll hall of fame, even a Hard Rock Cafe like in Vegas so others can view it. (on loan of course!)
            ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

• The guy creeps me out. He looks like the kinda guy that would be at a bar trying to hit on girls 15 years younger than him with an honest face thinking he's gonna get some but they are all throwing drinks in his face. Oh wait, that's me.....

Matt

Comment

• Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                If anyone from this board had that guitar there would be praise and rose petals would be thrown with reckless abandon as they walked. The guitar seems legit and the guy has every right to be getting his 15 minutes. Be happy for him and happy the 'missing link' has been found.

Best post in the thread.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

• +1

It's fun to take potshots at people, but we don't know the guy. True, most of us might not have posed like that, but that doesn't mean he's a slimy character, imo. As for the self-promotion, the guy is a professional musician. There is no business more cutthroat than the music biz, except maybe TV & movies. You have to jump on any shred of a chance to make it. He might have gotten a good deal on the ad for being in a feature article, or maybe he paid full price but figured it made sense to parlay the little bit of attention from the article. Who knows? I checked out some of the clips on his myspace page, and he's a good player. Not my personal fave type of music, but I'd say he's the the band's strong point, and I'm all for anyone trying to put out new music with good guitar work in it, mainstream or not.

Comment

• Thinking back on the obsessive debate that went into specing out the JCF-01 series, I'm floored that the real guitar has actually turned up. Too cool!

As for the owner, say what you will, but the guy can play a little. I checked out the samples on his band site and found this:

http://www.michaeltross.com/content/...t%20Hurrah.mp3

Edit: dg beat me to it.
                    Last edited by petedz; 02-22-2007, 04:41 PM.
                    This electric phase ain't no teenage craze -UFO

Comment

• Its a nice guitar and the article was a nice read. Who gives a shit if he sells it? Its his guitar. I hope he gets $100k for it. Then i can laugh at the dumbass who paid that much for it.:ROTF:

Comment

• sorry, but i don't quite understand story on black (string-thru) NAMM rr. where it is now? is it built after this white RR everyone is talking about?

btw. it's this guitar:

thanx
                        Last edited by -Boris-; 02-23-2007, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• Very Cool Pic. I'm just glad the Guitar has resurfaced. I thought about it alot the past 20 some years, Just like alot of people did I assume. Anyway, Just my .02 worth. Glad it's finally arrived.

Comment

• I read that article yesterday and something about the whole story just feels "off" to me.

The article itself is full of factual inaccuracies (which I know doesn't mean the story behind the guitar isn't legit)...but the writer definitely should have gotten his facts straight. Randy did not die en route to an Ozzy show; he was already with the band. Grover Jackson was not a up-and-coming luthier for Charvel Guitars who then "left" to form his own company, Jackson Guitars.

What's bugging me is, how did Sean know what "Mike" was trading in the shop that day, as far as its rarity/holy grail status? This is what, '83? Pre-Internet. Randy was known for the PDV, the Les Paul and the white Shortwing prototype...he'd only played the black RR model for a few months, I believe, before he died. He hadn't been photographed often with it; most photos from the tours are of the other guitars. And remember, Ozzy wasn't the icon then that he is today...his solo career was just beginning after he'd been dismissed as a has-been following his dismissal from Sabbath.

In other words, I'm questioning how Sean KNEW this was THE guitar...or, at what point in time did he discover it. How would he be able to question its provenance without blowing the secret for all these years? And why didn't the owner hold onto it, contact some dealers/musicians in the area to assess what he'd just traded for before letting Sean work off the small debt to acquire it?

And if he really was the world's Biggest Randy Fan as he claims and knew everything about him, why would he play the guitar so much that it now has obvious signs of wear and tear?

Maybe I'm thinking too much but for whatever reason, my BS alarm went off as I read that article. And he's definitely trying to drum up interest in it. He sounded like a used-car salesman as he described the crunchy sustain and distortion, the beautiful artistry of the carving/beveling, etc.

Comment

• This guy is a lucky bastard:ROTF:

Lucky him
                              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

• Originally posted by btx109 View Post
                                What's bugging me is, how did Sean know what "Mike" was trading in the shop that day, as far as its rarity/holy grail status?

Well, Rhoads was playing the 2 v-shaped prototypes on tour with Ozzy in '82. The one that ended up in Clegg's hands was sold to "Mike" in January of '84. I'm sure there were plenty of photo's of Randy playing the V's from the '82 tour and a real hardcore fan would be able to make the connection. Not to mention that the focus on Randy became that much greater after he died. Did Clegg know he had the 3rd prototype/Holy Grail. Probably not at that time, but I'm sure he made the connection with Randy Rhoads as soon as he saw the guitar. Also, I would think this "Mike" guy was asked where he got the guitar when he went to the music store to trade it in. I'm guessing he was upfront and told them he bought it at the JacKson booth at NAMM.

Comment

Working...
                                X