No announcement yet.

Lost Rhoads Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something just isn't right about this guy. He has a kickass guitar (it's pointy) but it seems like he is trying to mesh to different genres in one image. Heavy Metal meet Grundge/Alternative.
    Maybe this analogy works better:
    I'm a Metal God, but Eddie Vedder is my hero.

So far the coolest thing about this issue is that there is lots of exposure for Jackson guitars.
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Comment

Could someone scan that magazine? I know...it would be hard to read but I need some good laughs

With that face and pointing fingers...I don´t want to guess the smell of his fingers...

Comment

So let me see if I understand this.
          • This guy has a rare guitar everyone wants. Several people said they'd pay the big bucks if they had it and darn near everyone else here wants it.
          • He's hyped it quite a bit, presumably to make some money. Oh gee, that never happens on the JCF.
          • He has some CDs out there with ads over hyping him. Wow, that's new. I've never seen such a thing. If you actually go to the site and listen to the samples, they're actually very good.
          • He posed with the guitar for ads and the magazine article. So some photographers told him to sit, act, look certain ways and he did it.
          So add that all up and that makes him ghey? I don't get it.

And the whole Grover "...I don't want to help him make money..." thing is a bunch of pure bullshit. Remember, this is the guy that just came back to be a poseur so they can ask $10k for $2k guitars with his blessing.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

To change the subject some - Here are some shots of Mike working on the Black Rhoads - He said the neck was a lot of work on this one as it was off so much. These were taken in Ontario - I have a couple others I just need to scan them and get them up on charveljacksonworld.net to post.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by kinde69 View Post
              Could someone scan that magazine? I know...it would be hard to read but I need some good laughs

With that face and pointing fingers...I don´t want to guess the smell of his fingers...
              At least he poses with his mouth closed.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
              The Buzzard does not fear
              The man in riot gear
              Harvest a skull of stone
              The Buzzard grows his own...

Comment

Here is the finished guitar - Pat G. holding it and Mike.

Comment

Awesome pics, Hoss! Coolest thing I've seen here in quite a while.

Comment

Always happy to share -
                    I'll keep digging through the photos see what else I can find.. Cheers

Comment

• Wow. This thread has been a good read!! Since I live under a rock and just found out about the discovery of the lost NAMM Rhoads (I know, I know...), this is all like a dream to me. Well, a dream come true, actually! I remember back in the mid 80's reading the story about how it was accidentally sold and thinking "man, I wonder if they will ever find it?" or "I gotta find that!". I would have delusions about finding it in a pawn shop or spotting someone playing it live. Unbelievable how things you imagine happening coming true. It's like finding the needle in the haystack....

I noticed one thing about the axe though - and I know there are two sides of the coin on this issue - but, if YOU were the one who owned this guitar, and you knew what is was in a historical sense, would you have been gigging with it, as evidenced by the dings and chips that this axe shows? What a shame. I simply cannot understand someone knowingly treating it so poorly.

And another thing that drives me mad - how in the hell was this guy able to keep it hidden from public knowledge for all these years?? Every Charvel/Jackson fan, fanatic and collector on the planet has been on high alert lookout for this thing for nearly 24 years!! Even if people didn't know what it was by sight, you would think that he would have at least TOLD someone what it was, and the story would have been leaked. Unreal!

Concerning the value of this piece, as Sully said, and I agree, that if money was no object, I would pay whatever it takes to land this. And as for Randy's actual guitars, I would probably pay into the 100's of thousands for one of those just because of the significance of owning a guitar from my musical idol growing up. I really believe that this axe, if it does go up for sale at all, will approach $30,000 and up - that's just because of the historical significance, not because it "could have been" Randy's had he not perished. It is an integral piece of Jackson history - probably the second Rhoads ever built (discounting the white prototype)!! Who wouldn't hold something like that in the highest regard? What would someone pay for the third Fender ever built? It's the same thing, only a much younger company. You must be crazy if you don't think that it's worth $20-30K on that basis alone.

Comment

• According to the story, the guy who bought it at NAMM had no idea what exactly it was that he had. I just find it amazing that it was never refinished in some super hideous color during the 80's.....or hacked to hell to accomodate a trem or a middle pickup. It looks pretty much stock, with the exception of that mini-switch.

Comment

• I read the story in GW as well and while the guy comes off as someone looking to promote himself, he doesn't seem as bad as some here make him sound. I gotta say that if it was me, I might be doing the same thing and enjoying my 15 minutes of fame as well. As far as his story, maybe it's the way he sees it. Grover's story doesn't jibe perfectly, but that's not strange as people often remember things differently. In any case, the guitar is cool and while I wouldn't pay 20-30k for it, i totally understand that someone would considering it is the very first non-Randy preproduction RR at the very least.

chuck
                          "Those who know what's best for us, must rise and save us from ourselves!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Chasbo View Post
                            I wouldn't pay 20-30k for it, i totally understand that someone would considering it is the very first non-Randy preproduction RR at the very least.
                            If you read what was posted by Hoss on the reciept for the third guitar, the missing NAMM guitar was definitely supposed to be Randy's. It was the 2nd of three that were supposed to be for him.
                            The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

• OK now I'm confused.

Randy had the white pinstripe guitar, the first "Rhoads".

Chubb Rock in GW has a white one.

Hoss posted pics of a black one.

Were the white AND black intended for Randy?

Was the black unfinished for a while then finally completed?

Comment

• Randy had the white pinstripe guitar, the first "Rhoads".
                                CORRECT

Chubb Rock in GW has a white one.
                                CORRECT

Hoss posted pics of a black one.
                                This is the Black on that had a neck angle issue - It was sent to the case company for fitting - It was there for years until Grover finally got it back. He then sold it to Rob Lane for a couple grand. Later that year Rob gathered all the needed parts and had the neck angle corrected and completed.

Were the white AND black intended for Randy?
                                These were all intended for Randy but they were never completed for him prior to his passing -

Was the black unfinished for a while then finally completed?
                                The pictures and reciepts I have are dated 1998, so yes finished years later.

Comment

Working...
                                X