No announcement yet.

Lost Rhoads Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a feeling that this guitar will not be sold if the offer is only $5500. But, I also doubt that the highest offer will only be $5500.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I just got the mag and read the article. He sounds a bit slimey to me....
      Since He's had it all these years, why is it a big deal right now?

Secondly, I don't like the way he's promoting himself - who f'kn cares what bands he was in 20 years ago? This is about the guitar, right?

Great guitar - and certainly special, but it looks like he blew somebody at Guitar 1 to get this article in.....
      Strat God Music
      http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
        I have a feeling that this guitar will not be sold if the offer is only $5500. But, I also doubt that the highest offer will only be $5500.
        Yeah, I agree that the price for either guitar is worth way more than $5500. That's just what I think the other one went for. My point though is, why is this guitar any more special really than the forth guitar? I know that they were finished at different times but they were both essentially built at the same time and both intended for Randy at the time of construction. Also, I wonder why the forth guitar isn't mentioned in the article because we all know that it was built.

I agree that this is one special guitar and I know that I'd love to have it but the guy does seem kinda slimey to me as well.

Comment

Didn't Vinny Vincent get the forth one? It was the pink one.

Comment

I keep wanting to say that the guy's name was Rob that had it finished. I know some of you guys here know who I'm talking about but for the life of me I can't remember his last name. I know that it was a big topic of discussion as well when he sold off his collection because it was AWESOME. Anyway, when I inquired about it I was told by somebody here on the JCF that it was sold to a guy for $5500. It was the black V with the brass trem and reverse shark-fin inlays. I'll see if I can find a pic or info on it and post it.

Comment

The collectors name that had the forth guitar finished was Rob Lane and here's a pic I found of it that I'd saved from way back when:

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/serveFile.aspx?fi=890624
              Last edited by beachjammer; 02-07-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                I keep wanting to say that the guy's name was Rob that had it finished. I know some of you guys here know who I'm talking about but for the life of me I can't remember his last name. I know that it was a big topic of discussion as well when he sold off his collection because it was AWESOME. Anyway, when I inquired about it I was told by somebody here on the JCF that it was sold to a guy for $5500. It was the black V with the brass trem and reverse shark-fin inlays. I'll see if I can find a pic or info on it and post it.
                Robert Witte I believe....if I can recall from Jani's website. I know he pops up over there quite a bit.

Comment

Rob Lane

Doh. Didn't see that you figured it out yourself. Please disregard this post.
                  Last edited by MEX3; 02-07-2007, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                    funny thing about that guitar.... when jcf01 was in the pipeline, grover was contacted so that we could get some info about the original. he was adamant about the white namm rhoads NOT being for randy. mike shannon also confirmed it. i wouldn't put a lot of stock in delores' comment though, because she wasn't there at the factory, ya know? that's not to say she wouldn't know, but i'd take it with a grain of salt.

either way, i believe that the guitar is the missing namm rhoads and if i had 30k to drop, i wouldn't think twice.
                    +1!

Comment

our very own diego owns the rob lane case template, and i dunno, based on the info that we got from grover and mike back in 2000 or 2001, i don't think that there was a 4th one.

but i stand by the belief that this is something that no one will ever know for sure.

sully
                      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                      Sully Guitars on Facebook
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Hmm, I can only conclude from all this that my JCF-01 Prototype Rhoads is worth a million dollars
                        Hey Keith, its been a little while since we talked. I remember the guitar you're talking about, vaguely. Wasn't it the one that Rob Lane went over to Grover's place and bought unfinished among other Jacksons and subsequenly had finished? That was about 5 years ago or so I believe.

Rudy
                        www.wickedrocks.com
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Hey Rudy,
                          Great to hear from you!

Yeah ,that's the guitar and like Sully said, it's the one they were using for a case template. I personally like it better than the NAMM guitar but I wouldn't turn either of them away! HA HA!

I went to this Sean Micheal Clegg's website and he does come across as a shady character but the boy can shred

Comment

Lots of great info, and nice big pics of Diego's guitar here:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3390

Comment

Awesome. This info is rare and valuable. I hope the JCF keeps this stuff up and never deletes the old posts!
                              Strat God Music
                              http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by sully
                                When Randy died in March of 1982, all that they had were three body blanks; raw hunks of wood. No headstock, no paint, no nothing. Randy was gone, and they did not have any finished guitars for him waiting to be picked up. Months later, Grover Jackson and Mike Shannon finished two of the body blanks that they had. Since the guitars were not necessarily finished to Randy's specifications, they're not really the finished Rhoads models that Randy never got. Instead, they were simply guitars made from neck blanks originally intended for him.
                                Sully posted this before. This is the same story Grover himself told me at NAMM this year when I asked him about SMC's guitar. (I just removed the parts about how they were finished and then sold by Grover's wife at a NAMM show)

Grover seemed to be put off by the fact that this guy is looking to get $10K+ or whatever for this guitar, and rightfully so. His view is that he could validate the guitar, but why would he help line SMC's pockets? (While I do see Grover's point, I'm just the messenger, so don't shred me for posting this)

But overall, Grover was admant about the fact that these were just hunks of wood when Randy died. Randy didn't touch them. Randy didn't see them. Randy didn't approve them. With this in mind, in regards to this guitar being the "missing link", I'd have to say no. No such guitar exists. But what this is, is probably an early Rhoads produced after Randy's death maybe one of the, if not THE first. This is the signifigance of this guitar.

Now, is it worth $10K+? That's another debate entirely. And since I don't really play Rhoads, I'll leave it to the rest of you to fight it out while I go back into obscurity.
                                Occupy JCF

Comment

Working...
                                X