No announcement yet.

The RacerX weight loss thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep in mind though that muscle doesn't burn fat, it burns calories. Here's a good site that explains how it works. http://www.bodyfatguide.com/BuildMuscleBurnFat.htm

My weight has fluctuated a lot over the years, and in total I've lost over 100lbs since high school, mind you thats gross, not net.

The best way to lose fat is to control your calories and do aerobic exercise. Since July I've dropped 40lbs by controlling what I eat, and I haven't exercised once. If I were exercising that number would probably be well over 50lbs.

EDIT: Found this that might be helpful in answering your question about reps...

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bo...ut-guide-1.htm

Basically it says more weight less reps. There's obviously a little more detail there to look at though. The section Im referring to is about 2/3 of the way down the page under the section titled "My Weight Lifting and Training Style". (Unfortunately I cant select and copy anything off the page, else I'd just paste the section here)
    Last edited by UFORocks; 03-24-2007, 07:46 PM.
    Guitars:
    '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
    '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
    '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
    Amp:
    VOX AD30VT

Comment

• My Weight Lifting and Training Style

My workouts are very simple and quite basic. It doesn't involve a lot of the so called "advanced" training techniques or much isolation exercises. Rather, I focus on the most basic mass builders and compound lifts. Some basic points of my training:
      • Focus on compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, and bench press
      • Rarely doing any isolation type of exercises like concentration curls, flies, etc...
      • Using heavy weights and low reps - using a weight that allows only 4 to 6 reps of strict form exercises
      • Low volume workouts - approximately 8 to 10 sets per muscle group - usually done with 3 different exercises.
      • Large muscle groups done before smaller muscle groups
      • Compound lifts done before anything else - meaning exercises like squats, deadlifts, and bench presses are done before other exercises for the same muscle groups
      See how simple that is? Bodybuilding doesn't have to be complicated, as long as you don't want it to be. Why do I choose to follow a low volume, but heavy load type of workout out? It's simple, really. Its all about providing the right amount of muscle stimulus and overload to stimulate more muscle growth, and believe me, this isn't achieved with doing 10 to 15 reps with lighter weights. Makes sense right? Heavy weights will induce more muscle growth, not lighter weights.
      It's a common misconception that doing heavy weights will build size and strength, while doing light weights will tone and shape the muscle. It doesn't work that way. Muscle definition and toning is NOT a function of doing lighter weights & higher reps, but rather, it's a function of diet, diet, and diet! That's right! Doing more reps will NOT make you more defined, you'll just be wasting time and energy in the gym. If you want muscle definition, first of all you need to have muscles there in the first place. How do you achieve this? Simple, lift heavy.
      And to achieve tone and definition, you will have to adjust your diet and nutrition to achieve desired results - not simply by doing more reps and sets.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

• Dammit now I'm getting confused.

Weight update: I took a buddy of mine to the hospital tonight (he fell down some stairs)...they had an electronic (digital) pro type scale in there: I weighed 316 # ! Woo-hoo! The scale at the gym says 326. I asked the nurse "Is this accurate?" Replied yes.
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

• Wow,you lost 10 pounds in a second.You're goin' fast
          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

• Originally posted by RacerX View Post
            Dammit now I'm getting confused.

Weight update: I took a buddy of mine to the hospital tonight (he fell down some stairs)...they had an electronic (digital) pro type scale in there: I weighed 316 # ! Woo-hoo! The scale at the gym says 326. I asked the nurse "Is this accurate?" Replied yes.
            I have found that the best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning, right after you get out of bed. You'll be at your lightest at that time, this is the measurement I go by personally.
            Guitars:
            Amp:
            VOX AD30VT

Comment

• Originally posted by UFORocks View Post
              I have found that the best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning, right after you get out of bed. You'll be at your lightest at that time, this is the measurement I go by personally.

It's already a common fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Norton View Post
                It's already a common fact.
                Thanks genius
                Guitars:
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Thanks genius

You're welcome

Comment

• Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                    Yeah come on Ron, throw us at least a monthly update.
                    I've been doing lots of updates lately, where are you?

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                    On the exercise note, is there some trick to jogging when it's cold out? If it's below 50 my lungs burn like hell and I sound like i'm having an asthma attack for the next 24 hours. Yet I saw some dude out when it was like 18 the other day...
                    Yep, follow these tips:

*Smear petroleum jelly on your nostrils, lips and face before you go out. It will help prevent freezing & windburn.

*Start out with the wind behind you and return facing the wind. This way you get a boost when you're cold. Wind in your face is more tolerable once you're warmed up.

*To deal with a runny nose, wear washable terry-cloth wristbands.

*Wear a hat. 40% of body heat escapes via an uncovered head.

*Look for cover. Tree-lined streets and wooded trails are always warmer then wide-open roads where wind can build up.

Comment

• Originally posted by sambencuda View Post
                      I'm with you Ron. I'm 300lbs, 6,3 and a 40" waist.
                      Originally posted by fett View Post
                      Well, I'm 6'6" and 260 with clothes on. I have a 42 inch wa
                      Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                      I'm currently at 6' 2", 230 lbs with a 38' waist.
                      Doc says I should be between 190 and 200... I wish you luck Ron... I need to get off my ass and get in shape too.
                      Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                      Recent history on me. Im 6ft 4in and was about 265 about 8 months ago with a snug 40in waist. In April i finaly made the move GC Operations and warhouse at work. Im now the warehouse mgr and work out 3 times a week unloading the trucks and putting away and moving the stock. I've lost about 15lbs and over 2in off my waist since then.
                      Ron good luck man i know you can do it.
                      Gil
                      Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                      my heaviest was 265 with a 46" waist. That was about 7 years ago. Over the course of a year or so I dropped to 175 with a 36" waist, which is still way overweight for 5'6". People thought I was dying.
                      I started in the tower at 217. I weighed myself this morning and I am tipping the scale at 205. I guess it is working.

Let's keep this thread going and keep up the motivation.
                      Interesting stats on everybody! Looks like some of us (fett) are more "solid" than others

Me, I'm 6'4" 316# (?) and 44" waist. I have lots of 36 & 38 jeans in my closet waiting....

Gil, when I was GC I lost a lot doing warehouse also!

So, how's everybody in this quote doing, 5 months later?

Comment

before or after you take your morning piss? Reckon you could lose a few more ounces there before weigh-in
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                          Yeah come on Ron, throw us at least a monthly update.

On the exercise note, is there some trick to jogging when it's cold out? If it's below 50 my lungs burn like hell and I sound like i'm having an asthma attack for the next 24 hours. Yet I saw some dude out when it was like 18 the other day... so from my usual habit of M/W/F, I'm down to once every couple of months. doh
                          Could be cold-weather asthma. My sister had it when she was younger. She could run around all she wanted to, but if it was cold, she needed an inhaler.
                          Scott

Comment

• I've been having some bad digestive problems the past few days.. It really sucks and it is fucking up my weight. If I can't successfully take a crap today then I'm going to the doctor tomorrow.

Comment

• by far the best way to loose fat is running the stairs....upwards of course. Try to find a place where are a lot of stairs. You have to do: one footstep - two stairs... as fast as possible and as much as possible.

But I gotta warn you, it's fucking hard and most guys are just tubby bitches who can't take it more than one day. This excercise builds character, you'll taste blood in your mouth after you are done. But it helps tremendously to improve stamina. It also makes your step a lot longer so you would run or jog more economically.
                              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

• Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                                by far the best way to loose fat is running the stairs....upwards of course. Try to find a place where are a lot of stairs. You have to do: one footstep - two stairs... as fast as possible and as much as possible.

But I gotta warn you, it's fucking hard and most guys are just tubby bitches who can't take it more than one day. This excercise builds character, you'll taste blood in your mouth after you are done. But it helps tremendously to improve stamina. It also makes your step a lot longer so you would run or jog more economically.

You watched Rocky?

Comment

Working...
                                X