The Official Charvel 750XL Information Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Human333 View Post
    ...hence the thought of the wrong neck put on the wrong body??
    You are aware that the 750XL is not a bolt-on necked guitar right? You can't just change necks on it.

I say you're all just crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      You are aware that the 750XL is not a bolt-on necked guitar right? You can't just change necks on it.

I say you're all just crazy.
      Yes I'm very aware as I own 3 of them. They are mostly set necks from what I understand, so they could glue in the wrong neck to the wrong body couldn't they?

Comment

Yes I'm very aware as I own 3 of them. They are mostly set necks from what I understand, so they could glue in the wrong neck to the wrong body couldn't they?
        The bridge posts were probably drilled in the wrong place.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You say you put an OFR on it? Floyd & Schaller bridges are different and can require that the posts be set at different distances from the nut. 750s originally came with the Schaller JT-590. Depending on the post placement, sometimes the difference between the bridges is more than you can overcome with the range of saddle adjustment if you swap trem types between OFR & Schaller. I bet if you put a Schaller or an old JT-590 on there the problem will disappear. Do your other ones have the original trem on them (if they aren't the string-through model)? If so, try out one of those trems on it. You can check the "wrong neck" theory out by measuring from the nut to the 12th fret. It should be 12 3/8" on a 750XL.
          Last edited by dg; 02-13-2007, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Yup, they are set neck - so the problem must have followed the guitar from the factory...unless it's been modded to hell and back...

Is it possible that the body was modded? Maybe it was a string-through version that someone (mis)routed for a Floyd?

However, I think this is not the right thread to use for elaborating on this problem, since this is the official 750XL info thread after all...
            Last edited by Sunbane; 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
              You say you put an OFR on it? Floyd & Schaller bridges are different and can require that the posts be set at different distances from the nut. 750s originally came with the Schaller JT-590. Depending on the post placement, sometimes the difference between the bridges is more than you can overcome with the range of saddle adjustment if you swap trem types between OFR & Schaller. I bet if you put a Schaller or an old JT-590 on there the problem will disappear. Do your other ones have the original trem on them (if they aren't the string-through model)? If so, try out one of those trems on it. You can check the "wrong neck" theory out by measuring from the nut to the 12th fret. It should be 12 3/8" on a 750XL.

So yeah I had put an Orig Floyd Rose on there when I experienced this situation. I measured from the nut to the 12th fret and it's 12 3/8" with the 3/8 landing on the far side of the 12th fret, not directly in the middle of the fretwire. I have an orig schaller that could be a JT-590 but I have since re-gutted this guitar thinking that it was a lost cause so I will need to put posts back in and all that to check an see if it makes a difference. I really appreciate all of you that have tried to help with this. I will do some more research and let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

There's one more quick measurement you might want to do. I get right at 5 5/8" from the 24th fret to a line drawn between the centers of the trem posts on my 750. If you get that measurement or very close to it, then I just about guarantee that the guitar is OK & it just needs to have a Schaller on it to intonate right. This problem pops up from time to time & has happened to other guys here before.

Had few minutes to dig through some old threads, and found several where Tim (Zerberus) mentions that the knife edges on the Schaller are 1/16" further forward than those of the OFR, and the posts of J/C guitars made to use the Schaller have the posts set 1/16" closer to the nut. Depending on the tuning and the particular guitar, you can run out of range to intonate if you switch trems. Sometimes there is no problem, but sometimes there's a big problem.
                Last edited by dg; 02-15-2007, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Just picked up another one. Again, trans amber flame. No trem cutout. #C903093.

Comment

I'm working on a web page, dedicated to the Charvel 750XL model, containing its short history, serials, specs and more. To begin with, I am making a serials-list with the trademarks of the 750XL.

If you would like to help me fill and grow the list, please take a look at the link below and post your entries in this thread. See the list for what's needed. It has a lot of blanks - please fill them in if you can.

Here's the preliminary page:
                    http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/char...0xl-guitar.htm

PICTURES: I would love to include pictures of your 750XL's to the page, so post them here, please!

Thanks, guys!
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Cool, H! I'll see if I can get some decent pics of mine soon. Here's the missing info for mine (C904624): no pullup route, no pickup covers, small rings.

Comment

I'll have to update with the s/n later.

Comment

Henrik,

I am the current owner of C900852, which I bought from Mike a couple of years back. It has the deep horn bevels, and no pull-up route. The pickups were J-80C (bridge) and J-50B (neck).

I believe the finish was just called "Magenta" in the catalogues, and is a beautiful magenta metallic (which some like to call "dark pink").

Comment

Thanks, dg, DonP and JJ. I just updated the list... with a couple of new ones as well. Wishing for more entries

The Charvel 750XL page
                            Henrik

Comment

My 750 is serial C902028. The "8" was hard to make out. Looked like a 6.

Finish is Cherry Sunburst, minor imperfections though in the grain. Full circles round the knobs. Pickup covers LOOK large to me. Not sure if they actually are in terms of other 750s.

No pull up rout.

Bevels look shallow to me...?

Jackson stamped trem.

Covered original pups.

[Minor scratches on the back, tiny finish scratch on the control plate side body edge and the headstock.]
                              http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                                Bevels look shallow to me...?
                                Check this out:

Henrik

Comment

Working...
                                X