The Official Charvel 750XL Information Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Official Charvel 750XL Information Thread

As we all know, the Charvel 750XL was made for one "production" year only, 1989. In 1990, the model was slimmed down and renamed the "Jackson Professional Archtop Soloist". The original Charvel 750XL's have super thick bodies, basically a standard Soloist with a very thick carved maple cap added on top. The Jackson Professional Archtop Soloists were slimmed down so that the added maple cap brought the guitar up to the thickness of a regular Soloist. As you can imagine, being made out of mahogany, a 750XL is a fairly heavy guitar.

The earliest 750XL found so far is my serial number C806131 which was actually built at the end of 1988 and so far the only one the JCF has found with an 88 serial number. I just received 750XL serial number C906332 from fellow JCF'er Bodawgone which is the latest 750XL serial number found by the JCF so far. There are quite a few differences in the 2 750XL's. It looks like the 750XL was continually modified by Charvel Japan all thoughout it's single production year.

Differences:

1. The very early 750XL's had a trem route cutout however, the trem was not recessed into that route. It looks like the trem route was done away with quite early, between C900579 and C901549.

2. The earlier 750XL's had plastic "Jackson" pickup covers and compleley different(larger) pickup rings. Later models did not have the covers and used smaller pickup rings. This appears to have changed later, between C904112 and C905091.

3. Early 750XL's had "Charvel" stamped Schaller Floyds while later versions had "Jackson" stamped Schaller Floyds.

4. Early 750XL's had much smaller cut access areas into the flame maple in the two horn areas(referring to the cut like on a Fusion). Later models had larger cuts, more like on the 1990 Jackson Professional Archtops.

5. The carved out area for the 2 knobs varies with early models having only like 50% of the circle around each knob carved into while later models have the area carved around 100% of each knob.

I'm sure they vary but my earlier 750XL is heavier than the later one. Mahogany tends to vary wildly in weight depending on the density(place from the tree) of the wood.

Pickup Covers vs. No Pickup Covers: If the pickups are positioned correctly, there really isn't much of a difference in the sound. I think people have overblown this. The height of the pickup is HUGELY!!! influential to the sound, about 1000% more influential than the covers. When I received the new 750XL, the bridge pickup was set very high, about as high as you could get it without it touching the stings. The sound was quite muddy with poor high end definition. Lowering the pickup dramatically changed the sound and brought everything back into balance and clarity. I can now hardly tell any difference between the 2, one with covers and one without.

Pictures to come.............

Re: The Official Charvel 750XL Information Thread

Good deal [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    Now if we can get the Be All/End All "How to ID each Model model" we'll be set [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hey thanks Greg, that's a very helpful post. It's true about the pickup covers(IMO) as there really isn't much of a difference.

Thanks so much bro! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Now, got one you want to sell? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Nah, I was ready to bid on another today and it brought the big bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33044

Comment

Yeah, I was watching that one too. Watching it go right out the window.. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

She was nice but I'd really like a white one. Did they ever come with ebony boards or since it's japanese they're always rosewood?

Dave->

[ November 15, 2003, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: budman68 ]
          Dave ->

Comment

All the 750XL's are rosewood, although it's a pretty dark rosewook that looks fairly close to ebony.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, Greg. I picked that one up this morning, and big bucks is right. His reserve was sky high. Close to my max, as it turned out. The money is coming straight out of my "Raiders Game" fund. Just don't feel that urge to fly out there this year [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] It's called turning the lemons into lemonade. The guitar appears to be in really good shape. The guy emailed that he'll ship it on Tuesday & reiterated that it's in virtually unplayed condition. We'll just have to see.

Comment

← C901360

1. No rout.
                2. Covers & lg rings
                3. Jackson stamp
                4. 100° knob recess

Cool thread. Where's Joe?
                [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

I'm not sure what's going to come first? Finding a 750xl with the all amber top for sale or Carmen Electra come knockin on my door. Were there fewer of the ambers made or the sun bursts? I seldom see one for sale (once). One more question, what would it take for (Wait! someone's just knocked ........... GOTTA GO!!!!)
                  ...that taste like tart, lemon yogart

Comment

Originally posted by ABSOLUT CHARVEL:
                    I'm not sure what's going to come first? Finding a 750xl with the all amber top for sale or Carmen Electra come knockin on my door. Were there fewer of the ambers made or the sun bursts? I seldom see one for sale (once). One more question, what would it take for (Wait! someone's just knocked ........... GOTTA GO!!!!)
                    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Dave->
                    Dave ->

Comment

Greg,

How chunky are the necks on the 750XL's? My Model 6 had a pretty chunky neck, nowhere near as slim as my SL1 or SL2H.
                      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Yeah, I have an '88 with a chunky neck also, but I also have an '87 with a very slim neck like the SLs. I prefer the fatter of the 2 but the thinner one is still fun to play [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Dave->
                        Dave ->

Comment

I wouldn't call them "chunky". I have 2 Model 5A's and 1 model 5FX. Both 750XL's have the same feeling neck, pretty close to all the Model 5's I have. They just feel a bit differently shaped than an SL-1, a little more rounded and not as flat. I actually find the current SL-1 to have thicker necks than the mid 80's to mid 90's models.

As far as colors(besides the solids), there's a trans amber, red, cherry sunburst and purple. The purple seems to be the most rare.

Comment

Very nice Charvel. I don't think most guitars of this type made today can compare to the old (good) Jacksons and Charvels. That was a golden era. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

That's because it's not really Purple!! It's really blue... at least mine is.

Question for anyone else who bought new. When I ordered mine, the pic in the catalog had the 'guitar' logo. I was not happy about the toothpaste logo... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

It wasn't the color I'd expected...
                              The logo was ugly(er)....
                              It arrived two weeks late...

I'm glad I kept it!
                              [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Working...
                              X