The Official Charvel 750XL Information Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Charvel 750XL Information Thread

Thanks bro.The inlay is all there it just happens to be figured the most right at the very end.The camera just did not pick it up.
    Mike
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Very nice. What's up with the inlay on the 15th fret? Either way, that looks very nice.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="aqua">

Actually, it may be just the "grain" of the pearl. If you had had the camra just 2 degrees to the left, it probably would have looked normal. Now I have also noticed some pearl material with "dead" areas that didn't look good at all and almost looked dark gray. Luck of the draw I guess. In any case, that 750 is very nice bro.
      </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Hey guys, I was just wondering how rare a 750XL in a black/greenish sparkle would be, because there is on at a local guitar shop going for $700 canadian I might pick up and the guy working there says its a super rare finish.

Comment

I have seen a couple on ebay in the last year or so , but nothing in person.The most common ones are the Cherry Sunburst and the Trans Amber.What is that in US$ about $500.00 or so ? If so that is a decent price.They are great guitars just a bit on the heavy side.
          Mike
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Budman has one in dark metallic green. Not sure how much sparkle it has from the picture he posted in this thread. Someone posted pics of another guitar in that color that showed quite a bit of goldish sparkle &amp; I think it looked awesome. It does seem to be a rare color &amp; it wasn't listed as one of the options in the '89 catalog for the 750XL. I'm biased, but I'd grab that guitar for sure. What's that in $US? Probably an OK price if it's in good shape, &amp; you may be able to haggle it down. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh its perfect condition, the dude must have never played it cause there isn't a scratch. the only problem is my mom will hate me for buying another guitar because I bought a DKMG two weeks ago lol.

Comment

She'll forgive you eventually, but you may not forgive yourself if you pass this one up. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Nothing like a little peer pressure, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Dude i went to the bank and i haven't got my pay yet so i have to wait till firday or take the pickups out of my rhoads professional and trade it in (the rhoads is kind of a shit 94 model, for some reason it feels like a dud when i play it). so i might wait till friday and hope nobody picks it up. It a tought decison cause as shit as the rhoads is i would still like to have a V.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    what I really think is weird, is that the neckshapes are diffrent. why the heck would they do such things: it does not serve a purpose at all. My "6" neck is also WAY thinner than my 750, both high and low on the neck.

[/ QUOTE ]
                    I've noticed differences between the same models even. I have a '86 mod6 with a kahler and my good friend has a firecrackle mod6 w/the crappy JT-6 (it's probably an '88) and his neck is WAY thicker. And not just above the 12th, from the 1st fret all the way up. It feels more like a LP neck. How do you know what year J/C made thinner or thicker necks? Because when I look for a J/C, I want it to have the thin neck like my mod6 or Jackson Strat, not thick like the 2003 SL2H I had or my friend's mod6.
                    Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe View Post

The earliest 750XL found so far is my serial number C806131 which was actually built at the end of 1988 and so far the only one the JCF has found with an 88 serial number. I just received 750XL serial number C906332 from fellow JCF'er Bodawgone which is the latest 750XL serial number found by the JCF so far. There are quite a few differences in the 2 750XL's. It looks like the 750XL was continually modified by Charvel Japan all thoughout it's single production year.

Differences:

1. The very early 750XL's had a trem route cutout however, the trem was not recessed into that route. It looks like the trem route was done away with quite early, between C900579 and C901549.

2. The earlier 750XL's had plastic "Jackson" pickup covers and compleley different(larger) pickup rings. Later models did not have the covers and used smaller pickup rings. This appears to have changed later, between C904112 and C905091.

3. Early 750XL's had "Charvel" stamped Schaller Floyds while later versions had "Jackson" stamped Schaller Floyds.

4. Early 750XL's had much smaller cut access areas into the flame maple in the two horn areas(referring to the cut like on a Fusion). Later models had larger cuts, more like on the 1990 Jackson Professional Archtops.

5. The carved out area for the 2 knobs varies with early models having only like 50% of the circle around each knob carved into while later models have the area carved around 100% of each knob.

I'm sure they vary but my earlier 750XL is heavier than the later one. Mahogany tends to vary wildly in weight depending on the density(place from the tree) of the wood.

Pickup Covers vs. No Pickup Covers: If the pickups are positioned correctly, there really isn't much of a difference in the sound. I think people have overblown this. The height of the pickup is HUGELY!!! influential to the sound, about 1000% more influential than the covers. When I received the new 750XL, the bridge pickup was set very high, about as high as you could get it without it touching the stings. The sound was quite muddy with poor high end definition. Lowering the pickup dramatically changed the sound and brought everything back into balance and clarity. I can now hardly tell any difference between the 2, one with covers and one without.

Pictures to come.............
                      I have #C806113
                      Trans red
                      big covers and rings
                      "Schaller" stamped Floyd
                      Trem cutout
                      50% knob carve

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Crowe View Post
                        As we all know, the Charvel 750XL was made for one "production" year only, 1989. In 1990, the model was slimmed down and renamed the "Jackson Professional Archtop Soloist". The original Charvel 750XL's have super thick bodies, basically a standard Soloist with a very thick carved maple cap added on top. The Jackson Professional Archtop Soloists were slimmed down so that the added maple cap brought the guitar up to the thickness of a regular Soloist. As you can imagine, being made out of mahogany, a 750XL is a fairly heavy guitar.

The earliest 750XL found so far is my serial number C806131 which was actually built at the end of 1988 and so far the only one the JCF has found with an 88 serial number. I just received 750XL serial number C906332 from fellow JCF'er Bodawgone which is the latest 750XL serial number found by the JCF so far. There are quite a few differences in the 2 750XL's. It looks like the 750XL was continually modified by Charvel Japan all thoughout it's single production year.

Differences:

1. The very early 750XL's had a trem route cutout however, the trem was not recessed into that route. It looks like the trem route was done away with quite early, between C900579 and C901549.

2. The earlier 750XL's had plastic "Jackson" pickup covers and compleley different(larger) pickup rings. Later models did not have the covers and used smaller pickup rings. This appears to have changed later, between C904112 and C905091.

3. Early 750XL's had "Charvel" stamped Schaller Floyds while later versions had "Jackson" stamped Schaller Floyds.

4. Early 750XL's had much smaller cut access areas into the flame maple in the two horn areas(referring to the cut like on a Fusion). Later models had larger cuts, more like on the 1990 Jackson Professional Archtops.

5. The carved out area for the 2 knobs varies with early models having only like 50% of the circle around each knob carved into while later models have the area carved around 100% of each knob.

I'm sure they vary but my earlier 750XL is heavier than the later one. Mahogany tends to vary wildly in weight depending on the density(place from the tree) of the wood.

Pickup Covers vs. No Pickup Covers: If the pickups are positioned correctly, there really isn't much of a difference in the sound. I think people have overblown this. The height of the pickup is HUGELY!!! influential to the sound, about 1000% more influential than the covers. When I received the new 750XL, the bridge pickup was set very high, about as high as you could get it without it touching the stings. The sound was quite muddy with poor high end definition. Lowering the pickup dramatically changed the sound and brought everything back into balance and clarity. I can now hardly tell any difference between the 2, one with covers and one without.

Pictures to come.............
                        I have a 750Xl serial# C806075
                        The color is like a deep red metal flake meets magenta (don't know the factory color name)
                        Schaller stamped Floyd
                        50% volume and tone cut outs
                        oversized p/u rings
                        trem route like on 650xl's
                        Gear
                        '88 Charvel Model 6
                        '90 Charvel 650 Custom
                        '92 Jackson Dinky Reverse Professional
                        '93 Jackson USA Randy Rhoads PCS #23
                        '07 Jackson DKMG Mutt

Comment

Very cool to see these early ones! The 2 lowest serial #s so far.

Comment

#C903786 over here. Very dark metallic blue. Schaller floyd, no cutout.

Like someone else suggested in another thread, if only they'd reissue these. They'd sell a ton. Steal back some of the schector crowd as well.

Comment

#C901388. Trans amber flame top here. No cutout.

Comment

Originally posted by Axegrinder View Post
                                I have a 750Xl serial# C806075
                                The color is like a deep red metal flake meets magenta (don't know the factory color name)
                                Schaller stamped Floyd
                                50% volume and tone cut outs
                                oversized p/u rings
                                trem route like on 650xl's
                                Hi I'm new to this forum and have recently got a third 750xl that meets the above discription of Axegrinder's guitar. I bought it off ebay gutted and finally got all my parts together to be able to make it a functional guitar. When I put it all together and started to intonate it I thought I was crazy, then I had a pro set up guy look at it and he thought he was crazy, so we asked a second repair guy and they all ended up with the conclusion that the only way it could be intonated correctly is if the bridge was moved half way into the bridge pick-up, hence the thought of the wrong neck put on the wrong body?? Does anyone have any experiance with this or heard of this happening? I'm super bummed cuz I paid $325.00 for just the gutted guitar and another $300 of a floyd, pickup and all the like. Any info or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                                X