No announcement yet.

Charvel vs. ESP - Levin vs. Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John nailed it on that last Dokken album. The songwriting reflected '80s Dokken. Thus, you get similar sounding riffage. The solos could have been 1988 George, too. It's a darn good album though. I play guitar because of George (and Eddie) but I got no prob with Levin's work.
    8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

wow. Don was terrible. holy shit. and I thought I sing bad. he really should consider a new career.

as far as George and John.......

George WAS a great player. he is a shadow of his former self. he hasnt put out any decent guitar playing or music since 1993. He is making a living off of a reputation of music he recorded 25 years ago. he has lost his mojo. he basically is lost in technique and has forgotten about music.

John may be a clone, but he can play lynch better than lynch can. at least he is doing it accurately where George cant even play like himself anymore.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Hellraiser6502 View Post
        Tommy...'Arschlöch' = Asshole.... in German!!!

Really!
        thanks for the info pal, i'm such an arschloch ain't I? haa haaa!!!
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          George is hardly humiliated by someone whose only notable musical achievement is being his clone.
          He should be when the clone is superior to the original now and has been for years. It's like when Vai replaced EVH as David Lee Roth's guitarist and outdid him at his own game. Minus the huge success, of course.
          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Lynch was a big influence on him. He was in the band Warlock for a little while, so there's some musical achievement. I also think he's better than George now. When grunge hit, he became an entertainment lawyer and has been Dokken's attorney for quite some time.
            He is actually on Doro's first solo album, Force Majeure. He was technically in Warlock but they lost the name because Doro's former manager had the rights to the name. So he never played on a Warlock album, he was in on the tail end of that name. I can see why he uses it but it's a little misleading in that regard. He is better than George IMO, he took that style and ran with it.

Hey, maybe I should post in the Feedback section about this Warlock vs. Doro "Scam" to warn the brothers!
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
              at this point or any point though, ain't it about the tunes in the end?
              I think the new lynch mob album has some good tunes on it. i've heard enough "chops" "runs"
              arpeggios, etc. for a lifetime, give me some good tunes over the lightning guitar leads anytime, especially now that i am
              106 years old.
              Still don't look a day over 30 though!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                He is actually on Doro's first solo album, Force Majeure. He was technically in Warlock but they lost the name because Doro's former manager had the rights to the name. So he never played on a Warlock album, he was in on the tail end of that name. I can see why he uses it but it's a little misleading in that regard. He is better than George IMO, he took that style and ran with it.

Hey, maybe I should post in the Feedback section about this Warlock vs. Doro "Scam" to warn the brothers!
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm not impressed by either of them. Malmsteen is far superior in alternate picking and overall technical ability, and this is coming from a McLaughlin, Di Meola and Gambale fan...
                  New Venture, Old Theme~

Comment

and Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Rusty Cooley, and a whole raft of super-shredders are technically superior to Malmsteen - what's your point?
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      and Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Rusty Cooley, and a whole raft of super-shredders are technically superior to Malmsteen - what's your point?
                      Not trying to make a point, just making an observation. BTW, the only duude on your list of "shredders" who is even close to being technically "equal" to Malmsteen, is Rusty Cooley, from what I've seen on YouTube...
                      New Venture, Old Theme~

Comment

you seemed to be making a point. Folks in this thread are discussing the relative merits of two guys playing in Dokken - I can't recall Yngwie's tenure in the band. If this was just a "these guys are the most incredible guitarists on the planet OMGLOLZ!!!1" thread, I could see the point in bringing in other guitarists. But it's not.

As for Yngwie, the guy is an amazing player. Groundbreaking, single-handedly created the neo-classical style that almost every hard rock guitarist tried to emulate. But many, many players have taken what Yngwie gave the world and gone further with it. There are guys that are better alternate pickers, guys who play more complex sweeps & progressions, guys who do more interesting things with those techniques. Having seen Malmsteen & Gilbert live, I can tell you that Gilbert's alternate picking is in-fuckin-sane. Yngwie is much better at kicking picks into the audience though
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

"Yngwie J. Sametune"
                          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            you seemed to be making a point. Folks in this thread are discussing the relative merits of two guys playing in Dokken - I can't recall Yngwie's tenure in the band. If this was just a "these guys are the most incredible guitarists on the planet OMGLOLZ!!!1" thread, I could see the point in bringing in other guitarists. But it's not.
                            Excuse me for going on a tangent, but after being part of the YouTube community, I've developed the proclivity to compare artists, but at least I make sure the artists are of the same genre.

On YouTube, it's not uncommon to see players like Satch being compared to Sabicas; Metallica vs George Benson; Slash vs Norman Brown, and similar comparisons of preposterous magnitude. Even more nettlesome, is when the dummkopfs who shill for Travis Barker infiltrate every possible drum clip (and that includes clips featuring Buddy Rich and Ed Shaughnessy) to promote their hero. Now back to the topic at hand.

I've seen the instructional videos of George Lynch back in the day (80's) when he first came into prominence, and quite frankly, I could have sworn he was much more formidable on those videos than he was in the featured Dokken clip - just another observation...
                            New Venture, Old Theme~

Comment

Is it wrong to be a George Lynch fan but not really into Dokken? Mr. Scary blew me away the first time I heard it and I'm still impressed with it.
                              I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTranslator View Post
                                I've seen the instructional videos of George Lynch back in the day (80's) when he first came into prominence, and quite frankly, I could have sworn he was much more formidable on those videos than he was in the featured Dokken clip - just another observation...
                                Absolutely. That's what started this discussion. His replacement, Jon Levin, is much better at playing in George's style now than the man himself
                                Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
                                Is it wrong to be a George Lynch fan but not really into Dokken? Mr. Scary blew me away the first time I heard it and I'm still impressed with it.
                                I can relate. I've always liked Warren Demartini's lead playing, not so much the songs of Ratt. Although they have grown on me. Turns out, it was mainly the lead singer I couldn't stand (another thing in common with Dokken, Motley Crue, etc etc)
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X