Charvel vs. ESP - Levin vs. Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
    True. Except his tone...such a great player, such awful tone.
    Most shedders who solo in a live performance (their moment in the show) don't have tone, hence is a shredder shredding.
    To get a feel or vibe of their tone and the evolution of it, you need to expose yourself to their overall catalog of songs.
    Kinda hard to pick up on the tone in a 5-8 minute solo.

Two things:
    1. We can discuss hardware = gear and rig and etc.
    2. The dynamics and mechanic's and the players hands = personal set of skills that bring out the beauty of good versatile gear.

Admittedly, Gilbert's tone is nasally and thin, but thin seems to be common among most shredder's.

Some like a warmer tone, some like more mid's in the tone, some like a thick tone and etc...
    He or she will play the same whether they play a Stratocaster, a Jackson, A Gibson, an Ibanez and so on.
    Its a preference really.
    It adds nothing and takes nothing away from the set of skills the player has.
    Last edited by Soap; 03-17-2011, 05:03 PM.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Paul is my absolute favorite player, but I have to agree that his tone is terrible. Not sure why. I love his tone on the second Racer X album. Ever since he joined Mr. Big, his tone has sucked. But because I love his playing and songs so much, I can overlook it.
      Breaking Point, my all instrumental CD available here:
      www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardjamessounds

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Point...92366&sr=301-1

http://youtube.com/user/jsrmusic

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
        Ever since he joined Mr. Big, his tone has sucked.
        Wouldn't that coincide with when he started losing his hearing?
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Second Racer X was a good album indeed.

Here's a killer Racer X tune.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZyIqOq658w

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
            To get a feel or vibe of their tone and the evolution of it, you need to expose yourself to their overall catalog of songs.
            Kinda hard to pick up on the tone in a 5-8 minute solo.
            I know I just kinda rolled in here on the turnip cart the night before last, but thought I should tell you I started listening to Racer X about 1987-88, so I kinda know Paul's work. I have thought that, while being an AMAZINGLY SKILLED player, his tone has ALWAYS been kinda thin, kinda harsh, and kinda bad.

I've been able to pick up on his tone over the course of about 23 years.

Comment

Gotta watch those turnip carts.
              Its all good.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                True. Except his tone...such a great player, such awful tone.
                Actually there is something I like about Gilbert's thin, crisp tone. When he rolls back the volume and does his alternate picking stuff, it has a percussive quality that I really dig. Disclaimer: I am an unapologetic Gilbert fanboy, so take my opinion with a big grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by jmsaxon69 View Post
                  I guess you've never seen anyone over 40? Unless you mean he looks a 100 pounds over weight? ha ha

Hey, wait a minute... I'm 40 :think:
                  Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Levin vs. Lenin
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Lenin & McCarthy?
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Ringo and The Groucho Marxists
                        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by fullmetalguitar View Post
                          Paul is my absolute favorite player, but I have to agree that his tone is terrible. Not sure why. I love his tone on the second Racer X album. Ever since he joined Mr. Big, his tone has sucked. But because I love his playing and songs so much, I can overlook it.
                          I really like the sound that PG's getting out of the single coils he's been using on the last couple of albums. Not hugely crunchy, but there's a lot goin' on in there. It's even got me thinking about dropping some hot singles into my Strat!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            George was always great, but the other Dokken guitar players, Reb Beach, Jon Norum and Jon Levin, are all better than him.
                            They are now, since George doesn't really care about playing anymore. In George's prime from 1985-1991 they weren't even close and they were all active in the biz then. He had the entire package - tone, phrasing, technique. That's why he's a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by AtomicPunk View Post
                              They are now, since George doesn't really care about playing anymore. In George's prime from 1985-1991 they weren't even close and they were all active in the biz then. He had the entire package - tone, phrasing, technique. That's why he's a legend.
                              So George is a legend for his package..?:think:

So was Joe Holmes..I mean John Holmes.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                                So George is a legend for his package..?:think:

So was Joe Holmes..I mean John Holmes.
                                Reading comprehension problems much???? GFY Arschlöch

Comment

Working...
                                X