Charvel vs. ESP - Levin vs. Lynch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    When grunge hit, he became an entertainment lawyer and has been Dokken's attorney for quite some time.
    So he negotiated the Dokken vs. Chicken thing?

Not quite as notable as laying down Mr. Scary, but good work if you can get it.
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
      Oh come on. He wasn't in Warlock. He was in 'Doro' for a year or so.
      I'm pretty sure he was in Warlock, maybe not on any album, though. He was indeed in Doro's solo band.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
        So he negotiated the Dokken vs. Chicken thing?

Not quite as notable as laying down Mr. Scary, but good work if you can get it.
        I'm pretty sure he did... and he got his ass kicked by that chicken!
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          George is hardly humiliated by someone whose only notable musical achievement is being his clone.
          I completely agree.

Comment

Levin does it justice. GL just seems to go through the motions.

BTW - I'm as much a GL fan as there ever has been, but geez... Not digging the "new" GL.

Kee Marcello did all of Norum's work in Europe justice too. Credit where credit is due.

Would anyone expect Levin to play ANYTHING OTHER than GL's riffs? Come on guys. Get real. If he played it differently from GL, the whining would be deafening.
            Last edited by chrisolson; 03-15-2011, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Levin is amazing, but there will only ever be one George. He had the whole package in the 80's, great tunes, great riffs, solid tone, cool guitars, cool hair, cool clothes, etc. And maybe most importantly, George had very unique recognizable playing style in an era that was a sea of EVH clones.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                Levin does it justice. GL just seems to go through the motions.

BTW - I'm as much a GL fan as there ever has been, but geez... Not digging the "new" GL.

Kee Marcello did all of Norum's work in Europe justice too. Credit where credit is due.

Would anyone expect Levin to play ANYTHING OTHER than GL's riffs? Come on guys. Get real. If he played it differently from GL, the whining would be deafening.
                damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he played it too differently, people would say he couldn't cut it and had to dumb the parts down. If he absolutely nails George, he's just a clone. Reb copped the same treatment, but he said going in, he already had an established style of his own - he's respectful of the material, but he will play it his way. I thought Live From the Sun rocked!

Same thing with every lead guitar change in Megadeth. They are either hacks, or soulless automatons. Because even though they can nail Marty's (or whoever's) parts, they don't play it with the same feeeeeeling.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he played it too differently, people would say he couldn't cut it and had to dumb the parts down. If he absolutely nails George, he's just a clone. Reb copped the same treatment, but he said going in, he already had an established style of his own - he's respectful of the material, but he will play it his way. I thought Live From the Sun rocked!
                  Aside from Don's vocals already slipping, and his commentary ("He's the bomb, baby."), I thought Live from the Sun was a decent album. Beast from the East completely massacres it, but for what it was it was a good effort. Reb is an excellent guitarist, Jeff and Mick were spot on with their backing vocals while Mick completely showed his chops as a thunder god, it was just Don that was the disappointment. Still, he sounded 100x better than he does today.

My problem isn't Levin playing Lynch's stuff completely accurately, it's that his 'original' tracks sound like Lynch too. Granted, I've only listened to 'Lightning Strikes Again', but right from the 'It's Not Love'-inspired opening of 'Standing on the Outside' I thought he was copying Lynch big time. Hell, I thought it was Lynch until I looked at the liner notes. It's got his trademarks all over it, but it's less inspired than his 80's work, so I figured he was back in the band. So, being that he's obviously doing that by design I guess it's a compliment. I just didn't get that same feeling from 'Erase the Slate' (though the feeling I got from that album was one of drowsiness, zing).

I guess it comes down to this: Lynch says his style came from attempting to emulate his idols (Page, Clapton, Beck, Hendrix, etc) and falling short. Levin's style seemingly comes from emulating one of his idols (Lynch) with great precision. He has my respect, since I'd love to have his chops, but he'll never be Lynch. The man has simply done too much for music in his career.

All this aside, the first time I saw this clip I was reminded of Beavis and Butthead and the episodes where they would hang out with Todd and have hearts exploding over their heads. Who wouldn't love to jam with one of their heroes?

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                    Levin is amazing, but there will only ever be one George. He had the whole package in the 80's, great tunes, great riffs, solid tone, cool guitars, cool hair, cool clothes, etc. And maybe most importantly, George had very unique recognizable playing style in an era that was a sea of EVH clones.
                    as with everything in life, it is all about perspective. through the '80s i was more into maiden and european bands that had the schenker/blackmoore thing happening, as well as the original black metal/thrash/death metal scene. because of that, lynch sounded like a van halen clone to me. he had the weedly tone and tapped a lot and his band wrote wussy music. now that i am older, i can get dokken a bit more, and recognize that were a tiny bit more "european" than a lot of the other LA bands, but there was that cheese factor that came from the puffed up hair, the giant gated snare drum sounds and the nasal sounding guitars backing the whiny chick-like singer....

as far as that video....it seems as if lynch really isn't trying. you can barely hear him, and don dokken is talking about a "battle"....what does lynch have to prove??? he was in the band when those songs were recorded, so it is HIS legacy. yeah, the other guy "shredded" all over the place, but it was like he was trying to "blow away" lynch. taste-less and
                    unnecessary.
                    but again, it is all about perspective....
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yeesh..C'mon. It's fuggin' Dokken..that was then. Many bands/players/entertainers had their moment, and when they did..they establish a dedicated fanbase. Be it whatever genre or context...even religious, spiritual, artistic, or anyone with charisma..Hitler..Obama...Osama....Slash.

Those are players we KNOW..not "the best".

Yeah, I'm a fan of Dokken/George/Reb/Norum/Billy White/Levin. Ehh..whoever had to fit the mold to satisfy that fasnbase that George created but can no longer maintain. Some players get better or worse with age..it happeneds. At least they left their mark..and so on. I walked out on Lynch a few years ago. He's one player that lost that magic he really had that I love and still do. But it was too depressing! Just like Ed..and others

Uli, on the flipside is a musician that has aged / evolved gracefully! He's better than ever and improved his craft with time. Always pushing his own limits without ego or concern what is popluar. This is a fact whether you're a fan or not. Uli...who..that weird looking old dude that used to be in The Scorpions..that weird fuck?..Yeah..him!

If you're taking "cutting heads" throw old' George or Levin in a ring with Jeff Loomis and their heads would roll. But a player such as Jeff/Uli/Gilbert wouldn't do that out of respect...but Malmsteen would..he's a dick! He'd just shit all over 'em and laugh..spinning his axe..hitting George or Eddie in the eye...the fat bastid!

and..F the typos..deal with it..

Bill Z doesn NOT spell check..fuggums!
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh man you had to go dragging the Maestro into this. Yes he would lay waste to Lynch given the opportunity. But, he is doing nature a service you see...he is the Grim Reaper for aging guitarists!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIl3Q...eature=related

If I'm gonna listen to some wanking I prefer this.
                          Better, more entertaining and just more fun.
                          Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIl3Q...eature=related

If I'm gonna listen to some wanking I prefer this.
                            Better, more entertaining and just more fun.
                            That is fucking HOT! He's in a whole other league...

Comment

True. Except his tone...such a great player, such awful tone.

Is it just me, or could he & John Norum be long lost brothers? Geez, those two look a lot alike.

Comment

Gilbert is altogether a much better player hands down no doubt about it.
                                Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Working...
                                X