Once again.....PICKS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Once again.....PICKS!!!!

Dunlop tortex green and purple or nylon 1mm usually, but when strumming on an acoustic or playing rhythm on electric I often use the nylon .88 and even a .60 sometimes.

Comment

I just bought some of those "Hot Licks" copper picks in .10, and they're very nice. The thinnest feeling "heavy" pick I have tried yet, and they don't seem to make as much string noise as my stainless picks (though the copper picks do flex a bit, whereas my stainless picks do not flex at ALL, which I prefer). I just wish they would make them in the smaller "Jazz III" size, but they're still very nice.

Comment

I just got some of the Hot Licks copper picks as well, definitely cool for a change but they won't replace my old standby. But Ultra Cool picks just might. The heavier guage doesn't feel much like nylon to me but the attack is very sharp, just as advertised. The material is a bit odd, it's definitely some sort of plastic (or a related sort of material) but it sounds like glass when dropped on a counter.
        Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

Originally posted by mulder1966:
          I have been using the same stainless steel pick for 19-20 years [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm still using dunlop 2mm delrin picks. But I've stopped shaving the picking point into a sharp point, like a jazz pick. I decided that I like the character a standard pick has when it drags over the string a little.

Comment

i find that when using .008 guage strings, i must use a thin pick, otherwise the pick sticks to the strings because of the low tension (e flat).

for .010's I use a medium, and the pick bounces off the strings. easier to pick, but i like .008's better.

therefore i ask where can I get a thin aluminum pick? .008's eat picks like nothing.

thanks
              I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

The thinnest metal picks I've seen are .007" copper Hot Licks. Personally I don't like them though, they feel flimsy and are so thin they're hard to hang on to.

I was going to dredge this thread up to rave about these. I picked some up fully expecting to hate them and was completely blown away. Forget the cheezy story, look past the fact that he's running his business from AOL, ignore the shit-eating grin on his face and do yourself a favor: try one of these. If you're anything like me you'll be very surprised.
                Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!

Comment

I can't seem to find those aluminum picks, do you have a picture or can direct me to a website? thanks
                  I made a rock n roll sin when I tried giving in to make money, had to turn down low.

Comment

The ones I have are copper rather than aluminum. You can get them here.

Comment

• Re: Once again.....PICKS!!!!

Dunlop Jazz III, Once you get used to it, you don't look back. It's great. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

i just bought a couple of dunlop big stubbies, and they are the best i've tried so far. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Althought the jazz stubbies are too small i think...

Comment

OH! I thought it said pricks ...so I was going to mention the name of a guy I work with.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Fender Heavy, jazz 3 picks.. Dunlap green, blue or purple depending on my mood.

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] /\

Umm, I'm boring. I generally use Dunlop Tortex Green .88's. I take a razor blade to them, scoring the logoed areas. It helps with the grip. I also use a brass pick sometimes, too. It's pretty rad. A little too much click for the stuff I play usually, though, especially on acoustic.

Comment

I have to second the PICKBOY posting. I had 6 of the black 1.00's with the 10 or so raised circles on them. Best ever. Great wear. I would (and have) tried to buy a gross. No dice.

I have "dremeled" everything trying to reproduce them. <sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by Brad:
                                </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by mulder1966:
                                I have been using the same stainless steel pick for 19-20 years [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ditto [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Same for me except it has only been 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X