Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Once again.....PICKS!!!!

Originally posted by YetAnotherOne:
    The thinnest metal picks I've seen are .007" copper Hot Licks. Personally I don't like them though, they feel flimsy and are so thin they're hard to hang on to.

I was going to dredge this thread up to rave about these. I picked some up fully expecting to hate them and was completely blown away. Forget the cheezy story, look past the fact that he's running his business from AOL, ignore the shit-eating grin on his face and do yourself a favor: try one of these. If you're anything like me you'll be very surprised.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I have a few of them Stuckey Lemmin's Mojo picks myself. I bought them over eBay. They sound great and are almost identical to jazz III shape. The only problem is they do wear a bit so I keep looking for some copper or brass picks that I can file to that shape. Personally, I don't like Hotlicks picks because they're too thin. I try to find anything that's copper or bronze or brass and thick (circa 1.0mm) and file it down to the shape I like.
    The oldest Stuckey Lemmin's Mojo I have is from 1936, so I keep it (and all of them) as a sort of antique. If you have a chance try them. I made a couple deals with the guy and would do it again any day.

Comment

If you want to play with speed and acuracy you have to use a thick pick - no way around it.
      Dunlop Jazz 3.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Holy cow, thread resurrection!

I agree. Dunlop Stubby 2.0
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Dunlop Ultex .73 and coolpix ultra medium. The coolpix ultra are excellent because they take dead sounding stings and make them sound alive again. The only down side is they wear out quickly.

Comment

Dunlop purple (.96) Gators...I've used them for about 5 years now.

Comment

I have a new favorite. Hot Licks copper picks in 1.0 mm. They are fantastic. I highly recommend them. I wish they would make them in the Jazz III shape, and texture them a bit, like those "Cymbolic" brass picks that MF sells. (I'm planning to get some of those, too).

Comment

My pick choice seems to cahnge daily..I love Jazz III fro lead but just find I cant really grip them properly for Rythmn playing..

Probabaly the pick I use most is the White 1.5mm pointed dunlop Tortex ..

Wolf

Comment

Dunlop Ultex 1.14 (my favourite)
                  Dunlop Tortex 1.14 and 1.5

Seems like I should give Jazz IIIs a try, everyone seems to rave about them.

Comment

red Jazz III all the way! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Dunlop purple (.96) Gators...I've used them for about 5 years now.

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Ditto

Comment

I've recently switched from using my usual purple Dunlop tear drop shaped Tortex to using a black Dunlop stiffo Jazz III. I've also got a pack of red Dunlop nylon Jazz IIIs as well but I haven't tried those out yet. Still not sure what to think of my stiffo Jazz IIIs yet, although pinch harmonics are REALLY easy to squeeze off the strings now. I adapted quite well to the reduced size of the Jazz III compared to when I tried some Stubby Jazzes a while back. Those Stubbies are MUCH too thick. My new philosophy on picks is a smaller, thinner, more rigid pick with a pointy end on them. I was supposed to get some wicked metal ones custom-made for me by a fellow JCFer, but I haven't heard from him in ages! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I used to use the .88 Dunlop (I believe the grey ones). Now I use the Carvin .75. They feel better.

Comment

Here's an update. I bought a couple of Cymbolic picks from Musician's Friend (for $5 apiece, dang it), and they DON'T have the texturing on them that is shown on the MF site. They're smooth (and slippery) as glass. Thicker than my Hot Licks picks, too, even though I got the "extra thin" ones. Overall, I'd say they're okay, but not for $5 each, and I like the Hot Licks picks much better.

Comment

Fender Heavy's

Comment

I used to use the Jazz III's. But I'm using some different Dunlop picks, varying from about 1.14 to 1.5 mm. I think a stiff pick is better for speed but I'm not convinced that "size matters", that is, a smaller pick is better for speed. Paul Gilbert, Joe Stump, Yngwie, Zakk Wylde and a lot of others use picks that are more of a standard/regular size.

The only down side to stiffer picks I've noticed is when playing acoustic. I find that 1.14 mm Dunlops are almost a bit too stiff for faster strumming.
                                Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Working...
                                X