Once again.....PICKS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Once again.....PICKS!!!!

I personally enjoy my Clayton Triangle picks. They dont slip out of my sweaty hands and have pleanty to grip on. 1.25 width.

Comment

I've tried a couple of the plectro's (cirlce ones with a hole in the middle). The one i used was a yellow "smooth jazz" one, it did have flextibility, but I think there is a thicker one the same shape. Or you could superglue two together [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
        For some reason, I find the red Jazz IIIs to be slipperier than the black ones, which is too bad, because the red ones are easier to find lying around the house.

I like a really round, small pick with no tip at all, and no flexibility whatsoever. I used to use a dime, which worked really well, but was kind of hard on strings and guitars with the serrated edge, and also a bit thick. I'd like something just a bit bigger than a dime, but round or close to it, and thin, with no flexibility. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of using a washer, but I suspect I will get a lot of noise from the pick hitting the strings, and also, it would have to be aluminum or something, so it wouldn't be magnetically drawn to the pickup.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've got a couple of these Golden gates picks which are almost circular in shape. They're triangle shaped picks, but the picking points are extremely round. They're kinda thick, don't bend at all, but are a little large. I think they're a bit larger than a quarter. They're also expensive, if you can find them.

Comment

Here is a place you can some. Yep, a bit expensive. I just checked the size and yeah, they're a bit larger than a quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver:
            I like a really round, small pick with no tip at all, and no flexibility whatsoever. I used to use a dime, which worked really well, but was kind of hard on strings and guitars with the serrated edge, and also a bit thick. I'd like something just a bit bigger than a dime, but round or close to it, and thin, with no flexibility.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] You like picks that has no tips at all..What kind of music do you play?

Personally, when the tip of my pick starts to lose it edge, it's either time for some reshapin or down the bin.

Cham

Comment

I'm hearing you guys speaking of using really heavy picks on acoustic guitars... whoa!!! I find that I have to use nothing thicker than the orange Tortex picks if I want to prevent my strings from breaking... I'm as aggressive on acoustic as I am on electric, perhaps more because my acoustics are unamplified.

Comment

Hey, thanks! I think I'll give those Golden Gates picks a shot!

Comment

750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                  Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

You like picks that has no tips at all..What kind of music do you play?
                    ---
                    I play what I consider to be "classic" hard rock/metal, e.g., Aerosmith, Van Halen, Zeppelin, Metallica, Megadeth, etc., and of course, a little blues, e.g., SRV thrown in.

I usually play a Soloist SL4 with low action, .009s and a relatively light touch, using very heavy Jazz III picks held backwards, so the tip points toward my palm, and the rounded side picks the strings. I choke up on the pick so that very little extends past my fingers & thumb.

Comment

I use the Dunlop Delrin 500 Standard 1.14mm magenta-colored picks, for the most part. I'll occasionally move up to the 1.5mm lavender-colored Delrins, but I find that the 1.14s give me the best combination of tone and picking prowess. To me, really thick picks dull your attack and give you that horrible 'clack-clacking' sound on every pick attack. And thick and thin picks each have certain speed advantages:

--Thin picks make it a lot easier to play rapid notes on the same string.

--Thick picks make it a lot easier to switch strings rapidly, but make it more difficult to pick rapidly on the same string.

To me, 1.14mm to 1.25mm is about the ideal range for a compromise between these two characteristics.

And I have tried just about every type of pick ever made.

Comment

Has anyone tried those ultex picks?? Right now I use 3.0 mm small stubbies and really like them.

Comment

purple jazzIII grippers for me

Comment

Couldn't resist posting beautiful Michelle Branch picture with the pick I like. Well, I use 0.73mm for acoustics and strumming, for soloing and electric I often use 0.88mm.

Comment

I don't think her mouth is gonna open wide enough to eat the pick!!!! LOL!!

Comment

I use the Blue Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm most of the time but I also use the .50mm Tortex as well. Like the tin picks for strumming. I'm weird! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mathyus

Comment

Working...
                                X