Once again.....PICKS!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Once again.....PICKS!!!!

Still using Jazz III picks. I'd like to give the new Ultex picks a try at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by GWARGHOUL:
      I have never really used a pick, do ya think it would enhance my playing?
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It would make it sound brighter, and it would give you more articulation if you're playing faster stuff. I believe Jeff Beck also just uses his thumb instead of a pick.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Green One

I've tried others, but always come back to those.

Comment

My li'l red buddies!

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

LPC -

I'm with you there - I'm using the Ultex 1.14s. Nice and stable - I pick pretty hard - and the attack is very smooth. I used the Tortex 1.0s for years, and the attack was the only thing I didn't like about them.

Mike
            Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

I've been using the Dunlop delrin 2mm, standard shape. I use a reallly sharp knife to sharpen the point into a jazz style point. Best pick I've ever used.

Comment

Anyone else who uses the Jazz III's...do you have trouble with grip?

Cheers,
                Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Misanthrope189:
                  Anyone else who uses the Jazz III's...do you have trouble with grip?

Cheers,
                  Nick
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't use them, but Dunlop makes a "gripper" version of it that you might want to try:
                  Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:
                    EDIT: Hey, have you tried these?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I use my Tear Drop shapes rather than the Standard shapes because I find that the Standards are too big and uncomfortable.

So, going with those Standard-sized Sharps would, again, be an issue of comfort.

Standards are too big, and Jazzes are too small, but both these sizes have Sharp options to them.

Tear Drops are the right size for my hands, but they don't offer them with a Sharp configuration! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Is there a bigger stubby pick available? I like them alot...but are a bit too small to get a good grip

Comment

Originally posted by Breadfan:
                        Is there a bigger stubby pick available? I like them alot...but are a bit too small to get a good grip
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Big Stubby picks have a big dimple on each side for better grip. That is, your fingers grip "into" the pick. I couldn't imagine dropping one without some real effort.

Besides, you can drill a hole through any pick and make it grip better.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I like the shape of Dunlop Jazz picks (red or black) and their thickness. I don't like plastic, so use metal (brass, copper, steel, silver) for mine. They have to be thick enough not to be flexible at all. Currently I'm using a nickel-silver one by BigWest from Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube:
                            </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Breadfan:
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Big Stubby picks have a big dimple on each side for better grip. That is, your fingers grip "into" the pick. I couldn't imagine dropping one without some real effort.

Besides, you can drill a hole through any pick and make it grip better.
                            </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okok thanks

Comment

I use the big stubby on my takamine steel string semi-acoustic which is pretty heavy stringed, but I don't like it for playing on my electric.

I had a few Schaller picks, they're purple and read "heavy .043" on them...really like those.

the shop in my town don't have them, so I got a few Dunlop's today but I don't think they're as good as Schaller's...I don't like the "carving" on the pick. Just my $0.02

- Rune.

Comment

For some reason, I find the red Jazz IIIs to be slipperier than the black ones, which is too bad, because the red ones are easier to find lying around the house.

I like a really round, small pick with no tip at all, and no flexibility whatsoever. I used to use a dime, which worked really well, but was kind of hard on strings and guitars with the serrated edge, and also a bit thick. I'd like something just a bit bigger than a dime, but round or close to it, and thin, with no flexibility. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking of using a washer, but I suspect I will get a lot of noise from the pick hitting the strings, and also, it would have to be aluminum or something, so it wouldn't be magnetically drawn to the pickup.

Comment

Working...
                                X