Avenged Sevenfold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RacerX
    Nothing like a little flame war on your birthday, eh Madeja?
    Eh I could care less lol. He's one of those guys that likes to talk shit when someone dislikes a band when they "change."

Comment

Guys, take a breather and just agree to disagree. Nobody's an asshole or a tool here. Let's just keep it respectful. I know we all like that.

Comment

You guys can love or hate Avenged Sevenfold. You can argue that they sold out, they look like tools, the singer is whiney, they were better in the beginning.. blah blah blah.. but if you people are truly guitar players you should be "students of the game". What that means is you should appreciate all kinds of guitar playing in different degrees. I have been tearing up guitars in the metal scene before some of you were even born. I am old school metal. I started out as a lead player. I never played rhythm. I continue to shred 30 years later. I think I qualify as someone who knows good guitar playing when I hear it. I don't even know who the guitar players are in Avenged Sevenfold. I don't really give a shit who they are, how they dress or anything else EXCEPT how they sound when I put the CD on. The guitar playing on their City of Evil CD is excellent from beginning to end. Very well written, recorded and executed. I like many of the songs too. Lots of hooks, great melody and interesting. I think some of you guys just get too into the players instead of getting into the playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gio
          I love your type, you crack me up.
          sounds like lurve......
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
            I am old school metal. I started out as a lead player. I never played rhythm.
            does that allow you more time to drink beer at a gig?
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG
              does that allow you more time to drink beer at a gig?
              Yes it does. The lead player gets all the chicks too... especially if he is also the lead singer. That was me.
              Rhythm players.... You know the type.. they players who don't have the balls or the chops to stand out on stage.
              Every guitarist wants to be a soloist. The ones that say they don't are in denial. Those who can solo... those who can't play rhythm or carry equipment to and from the stage.
              Avenged Sevenfold has 2 soloists. That must be what pisses some of you guys off.

Comment

I checked them out because of this thread (thank you jgcable and allofmp3.com) and agree the playing is excellent. I can't say I'm totally digging the songs overall -- somehow it just doesn't "click" with me -- but no question they are talented.

Comment

Avenged Sevenfold has 2 soloists. That must be what pisses some of you guys off.
                  This is kind of a typical argument used against people that don't like a band. "Well, they're talented and because you dislike them you must be jealous" That's not the case.

I don't like the band because their songs. To me, they leave a lot to be desired. The music is a lot of fluff for the most part, sure there is some awesome solos here and there but the overall material doesn't appeal to me. As far as listening to bands for quality musicianship, sure, that's great. I won't deny that they've got talent in the playing department but they could have the best guitar players in the world but that wouldn't change my opinion on the music if they were playing the same music. Just like the whole death metal vocalist hate that happens... It goes both ways, you guys can't come on here and hate on death metal bands and talk about how their vocalist sucks but they're solid plays but the band is terrible and it isn't a real band and then turn around and toss flack back at guys that dislike a band for their style that you guys happen to like.

They changed their style which is a major thing to me, they went from being a metalcore band to dropping a lot of that metalcore stuff and doing the sort of hard rock sounding music they're doing now. Much more radio friendly. That, to me, is a huge strike.

@ Gio... You can't listen to their music on the previous album and then listen to this new one and not deny that they definitely changed styles. There's no rule in the book that says that you have to like a band's entire catalogue otherwise you're a bandwagon jumper or whatever. It is perfectly acceptable to like one album and then dislike another, even more so if the sound of the band changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed
                    This is kind of a typical argument used against people that don't like a band. "Well, they're talented and because you dislike them you must be jealous" That's not the case.

I don't like the band because their songs. To me, they leave a lot to be desired. The music is a lot of fluff for the most part, sure there is some awesome solos here and there but the overall material doesn't appeal to me. As far as listening to bands for quality musicianship, sure, that's great. I won't deny that they've got talent in the playing department but they could have the best guitar players in the world but that wouldn't change my opinion on the music if they were playing the same music. Just like the whole death metal vocalist hate that happens... It goes both ways, you guys can't come on here and hate on death metal bands and talk about how their vocalist sucks but they're solid plays but the band is terrible and it isn't a real band and then turn around and toss flack back at guys that dislike a band for their style that you guys happen to like.

They changed their style which is a major thing to me, they went from being a metalcore band to dropping a lot of that metalcore stuff and doing the sort of hard rock sounding music they're doing now. Much more radio friendly. That, to me, is a huge strike.

@ Gio... You can't listen to their music on the previous album and then listen to this new one and not deny that they definitely changed styles. There's no rule in the book that says that you have to like a band's entire catalogue otherwise you're a bandwagon jumper or whatever. It is perfectly acceptable to like one album and then dislike another, even more so if the sound of the band changes.

Thank you!

Comment

my 2 cents....

they're talented trend hoppers. some of their tunes are catchy, but follow a prety standard forumla.

saying all this, theres dozens of bands that do this the right way, without all the low-rider pants and stupid stage names. Is there really a point in supporting these dudes when theres guys out there that have lived their whole lives by playing this kind of music?

Comment

Yes it does. The lead player gets all the chicks too... especially if he is also the lead singer. That was me.
                        Rhythm players.... You know the type.. they players who don't have the balls or the chops to stand out on stage.
                        Every guitarist wants to be a soloist. The ones that say they don't are in denial. Those who can solo... those who can't play rhythm or carry equipment to and from the stage.
                        Well put my friend ... Bravo !!!

Comment

Originally posted by PallarAndersVisa
                          my 2 cents....

they're talented trend hoppers. some of their tunes are catchy, but follow a prety standard forumla.

saying all this, theres dozens of bands that do this the right way, without all the low-rider pants and stupid stage names. Is there really a point in supporting these dudes when theres guys out there that have lived their whole lives by playing this kind of music?
                          A7X gets the point that most of the bands you're talking about are not tearing up the charts. COE was certified gold by the RIAA on 1/13/06. They're probably close to platinum now. Why? Because of their image, and because they're playing more accessible music. It's not like they're N'SNYC or something.

It's funny, I was posting on a thread aboyut A7X at Sludge, when one guy says he "hates their overly-compressed guitars". Then the next guy says "Yeah, they're too compressed!" So I said, "Do you even know what a compressor is and what it does?"

The answers was, "Uh, no, but they're trendjumpers and I hate 'em!"

In other words, they didn't know what they were talking about.

When I was a kid, if a band I liked didnh't make that next album just the way I expected it to be, wow, it pissed me off. Then I grew up to realize it was their lives and careersw, I just bought a record and maybe went to the show. And often, when I got past the initial disappointment that Farewell To Kings wasn't 2112 part 2, I could listen to the music and get what they were going for, and dig it on its own merits.

You guys will probably come to the same conclusion someday. It's not like they're traitors to you for changing. What did you do, buy a record and a ticket? Or did you just DL the record? Either way, they don't owe you shit, you're not the only fans to be had.

Since I'm more or less objective, meaning I didn't get my first piece of ass to the sounds of Waking The Fallen, I rate City Of Evil as a much bertter record than WTF. I LMAO at some of the histrionic shit on the first record. And yeah, there's a lot of it on COE as well, but the guitars are a lot better and so make up for it. I don't really mind them writing fake GNR songs either if it gets them a hit. They aren't the saviors of metal, but they were smart enough to gimmick up in order to sell, and it sounds pretty good, with cool and interesting solos. Not much of that on MTV these days, and SOME is better than NONE.
                          Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
                            A7X gets the point that most of the bands you're talking about are not tearing up the charts. COE was certified gold by the RIAA on 1/13/06. They're probably close to platinum now. Why? Because of their image, and because they're playing more accessible music. It's not like they're N'SNYC or something.

It's funny, I was posting on a thread aboyut A7X at Sludge, when one guy says he "hates their overly-compressed guitars". Then the next guy says "Yeah, they're too compressed!" So I said, "Do you even know what a compressor is and what it does?"

The answers was, "Uh, no, but they're trendjumpers and I hate 'em!"

In other words, they didn't know what they were talking about.

When I was a kid, if a band I liked didnh't make that next album just the way I expected it to be, wow, it pissed me off. Then I grew up to realize it was their lives and careersw, I just bought a record and maybe went to the show. And often, when I got past the initial disappointment that Farewell To Kings wasn't 2112 part 2, I could listen to the music and get what they were going for, and dig it on its own merits.

You guys will probably come to the same conclusion someday. It's not like they're traitors to you for changing. What did you do, buy a record and a ticket? Or did you just DL the record? Either way, they don't owe you shit, you're not the only fans to be had.

Since I'm more or less objective, meaning I didn't get my first piece of ass to the sounds of Waking The Fallen, I rate City Of Evil as a much bertter record than WTF. I LMAO at some of the histrionic shit on the first record. And yeah, there's a lot of it on COE as well, but the guitars are a lot better and so make up for it. I don't really mind them writing fake GNR songs either if it gets them a hit. They aren't the saviors of metal, but they were smart enough to gimmick up in order to sell, and it sounds pretty good, with cool and interesting solos. Not much of that on MTV these days, and SOME is better than NONE.
                            And another thing.... the guitar players are good. Many people have said that the playing on COE is much better than previous records. Well... I respect them for that. Its cool to see guitar players get better and actually demonstrate it. It could also be that when they first came out solos weren't in fashion. They are now and they are playing them. The cool thing is that the young guitar playing kiddies who like A7X maybe getting their first taste of shred.
                            Maybe the ones who can't play solos will be considered rhythm players again. Just like the old days. Being called a rhythm player from 1978 to around 1989 was considered an insult. I liked those times.

Comment

As far as I'm concerned........AX7 is the best band to come out since Alice in Chains! No kidding! In the 90's the grunge thing lacked solos and then there was Jerry Cantrell. Now in the 2000's we have Synaster Gates who can shred his ass off. I'm an 80's metal purist. My influences are Mick Mars, Dave Murray, KK Downing, EVH of course and even good ol Kirk Hammett, but AX7 just kicks ass on City of Evil! I got the CD right after it came out and have been in shock and awe ever since. I have even learned to play the majority of the songs and amaze the local teen scene with what I know because they have never really had the chance to hear a ripping solo. AX7 solos are easy to learn, but they get the juices flowing. I give em 2 thumbs up!

Comment

Thats right bro's!!!
                                The CD is called City of Evil

There are a ton of great guitar solos on this CD.
                                Actually, the entire CD is VERY good. The only critique that I could make is the singer is a little whiny and nasal.
                                Give the entire CD a listen too. You will agree. The guitar players in this band are both VERY good.
                                I saw a new (to me) video of their's yesterday. I like it.

I think I might buy the CD.

Comment

Working...
                                X