Avenged Sevenfold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slayer
    They play well, but they look like Homos:ROTF: Jack.
    Those "homos" are probably getting more pussy than we'll see in the rest of our lives in one month on tour. Chicks dig the androgynous guys, ask Poison and Motley Crue.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Crue androgynous? I would've typed Poison & David Bowie....
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey,

I've been pushing these guys ever since City of Evil came out. IMO, very well written songs, great guitar solos and harmonies, excellent recordings with a bunch of hooks per song ala Black Sabbath whose songs had many parts. I way prefer the way the singer sings on this album as opposed to the cookie monster stuff of the past.

Sidewinder is an awesome song to crank up if you've never heard these guys. Strength of the World is a great song with cool lyrics and enough hooks to hang you by your tits like Richard Harris !! (name the movie ... Ron ?)

So I say in short ... A7X

Comment

They have just been anounced as the mystery band for Ozzfest. Looks like I'm seeing them again in August.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
            Crue androgynous? I would've typed Poison & David Bowie....
            Well, Vince always looked kind of gay anyway, especially around Theatre of Pain time when he wore a lot of pink clothes and really heavy girlie-type makeup.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by heartfielder
              Hey,

I've been pushing these guys ever since City of Evil came out. IMO, very well written songs, great guitar solos and harmonies, excellent recordings with a bunch of hooks per song ala Black Sabbath whose songs had many parts. I way prefer the way the singer sings on this album as opposed to the cookie monster stuff of the past.

Sidewinder is an awesome song to crank up if you've never heard these guys. Strength of the World is a great song with cool lyrics and enough hooks to hang you by your tits like Richard Harris !! (name the movie ... Ron ?)

So I say in short ... A7X
              "A Man Called Horse" - great movie but the Sun Dance scene is hard to watch!
              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

So... can these guys pull off the City of Evil stuff live?
                Has anybody ever heard them do these songs?

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat
                  Compared to Waking the Fallen they are twice as good as they were on that CD. It sounds like the guitarists immersed themselves in lessons and the singer learned to sing. They changed their sound because they improved as musicians and are now playing stuff they weren't capable of on Waking The Fallen. They have progressed; if you don't like the new style that's subjective, but objectively they are better musicians than before.

I disagree, I remember seeing them 2 years ago when they played in a small venue and it was fun. They may have gotten better guitarwise/musically, but as a whole they suck. The singer is whiney and they all look like douchebags now. Its just like that band Atreyu. Their first real cd release was awesome, but then they just changed to douchbag rank like Avenged 7X

Comment

Well, you have the right to your completely incorrect opinion, Michael!
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I'd heard one song on the radio which I thought was pretty good and then they played locally which is rare for anyone to play here so I went. It was painful sitting thru all the shitty opening bands all 3 of em sucked. the only one I remember the name of was CKY. When Avenged played they were good the band was tight and the guitarists were definitely on. I wasn't familiar with most of their stuff, I went cause I had nothing better to do. And while their playing was very good the songs all pretty much seemed the same, a heavy part, then the whiny vocal part then the harmony guitar stuff. They also covered Walk by Pantera and actually did a pretty good job with it. I've thought about picking up a CD but the singer kinda kills it for me.
                      http://www.myspace.com/chriswestfallguitar

Comment

Originally posted by blindmuddy
                        I'd heard one song on the radio which I thought was pretty good and then they played locally which is rare for anyone to play here so I went. It was painful sitting thru all the shitty opening bands all 3 of em sucked. the only one I remember the name of was CKY. When Avenged played they were good the band was tight and the guitarists were definitely on. I wasn't familiar with most of their stuff, I went cause I had nothing better to do. And while their playing was very good the songs all pretty much seemed the same, a heavy part, then the whiny vocal part then the harmony guitar stuff. They also covered Walk by Pantera and actually did a pretty good job with it. I've thought about picking up a CD but the singer kinda kills it for me.
                        That whiny vocal thing is a trait of screamo/metalcore, their old style. They will probably drop it as the guy is learning to sing now and keeping it isn't helping to keep the 500 fans who liked them before.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I thought his singing on Bat Country was alright. I wasn't really watching Headbangers Ball when it came on, just had it on for background music, and was surprised when I looked up and saw it was Avenged Sevenfold. I'd never listened to them before, mainly because of their look.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable
                            So... can these guys pull off the City of Evil stuff live?
                            Has anybody ever heard them do these songs?
                            I was wondering that myself until Blindmuddy's post, for 2 reasons: One, in the holiday Guitar World, Gates said that they liked to shoot for stuff that was a little over their head, then try to pull it off live. We all know in the studio that can happen. You transcend yourself on inspiration, then have to work your general daily chops up to that level of inspiration.

Two, remember the ghost players for Warrant? Anything is possible....
                            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Inearthed
                              Terrible, terrible band of trend jumpers. Fashioncore.
                              Lol... "fashioncore"! Too funny.

Well, I like the guitars, but I LOATHE the singer and his whiny voice. If there's one thing that can ruin a band faster than anything - it's a crappy singer. Too bad, because the band is actually pretty killer. I just can't get past the vocals enough to be able to listen to the guitars.

Comment

You probably wouldn't have liked his screamo vocals any better Annah. The whiny vocals are the effort to appease their old screamo fans, and since that isn't working anyway he'll probably sing normally next time.

Have you heard the whole City of Evil album? Some of it he actually sounds pretty decent on. The album is full of great guitar playing. Hell, if people can deal with COB for the guitars, I don't see why not with A7X. I'd rather hear M. Shadows's vox than Alexi Laiho's any day!
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X