Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bowling for Columbine. What is wrong with the U.S.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bowling for Columbine. What is wrong with the U.S.?

As a Canadian gun owner I think I can add a few things. It’s very easy to obtain non-restricted firearms (rifles and shotguns with a barrel length over 18”) in Canada. All you have to do is take a one day course and pass multiple choice and handling tests which are quite easy to obtain your possession and acquisition license. The cost of the course is about $100 (deepening on your area) and there’s a $50 fee to apply for the possession and acquisition license after passing the course. The government performs a background check when an individual applies for their license, so there is a possibility you may not get the license even after passing the test. The possession and acquisition license allows you to by non restricted firearms and ammunition anywhere in Canada, no questions asked. Although the course is quite easy and does teach gun safety, it probably does discourage some people from legally purchasing firearms. Non restricted firearms are very easy to obtain, many hardware stores still carry firearms. Before the Gun registration law was put into effect you could buy non restricted firearms at many hardware and department stores. After gun registration many chain stores go out of the gun business mostly due to the added red tape that was required to register a firearm when it was sold (lots of forums and a phone call to the gun registry that takes 40 – 50 mins at times). Also employing someone who has a the possession and acquisition license required to be able to sell guns was troublesome for many chain stores.

Canada only instituted firearm safety course 10 years ago. Prior to that all you needed to purchase non restricted firearms was an FAC (Firearms Acquisition Certificate) which was obtained just by sending $50 and an application to the federal government for approval. No license was required to purchase ammunition before the firearm safety course was created, (I remember buying shot gun shells from a local hardware store when I was 14 for my grandfather, and I got no hassle whatsoever).

The law requiring Canadian gun owners to keep their firearms and ammunition locked while in storage was only put in place 10 years ago as well.

Handguns/restricted firearms on the other hand are a completely different story. You need to have the regular possession and acquisition license and also take another course to obtain a license to purchase restricted firearms. There are very few places where you can actually purchase handguns and the required ammunition in Canada. Carrying a hand gun is strictly prohibited in Canada, and the only place they can be legally used is a shooting range. When you purchase a handgun you get a temporary transportation permit that allows you to transport the gun from the store to you home, it’s only valid for that trip. You need to be a member of a gun club of some sort to obtain a permit which allows you to transport the gun from your home to the range.

I think the laws that require guns to be stored locked and unloaded along with ammunition being stored locked separately from firearms makes a big difference in preventing stupid accidents from occurring.

However, like the U.S, some places in Canada are starting to have gun problems due to gang related violence. I believe in both Toronto and Vancouver gang related shootings are on the rise, but those are the only cities I’m aware of that have considerable gun violence problems. In Toronto there have been quite a few shootings this year, I know of at least 3 shootings occurring within a few blocks of my home. Something that's alos interesting is that the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms set up a small task force (I think it’s only 2 people) based in Toronto to attempt to stop illegal firearms entering Canada from the States.

Comment

is it true that you can buy ammo in your local supermarket or whatever?
      I saw it in the movie, but I somehow couln't believe it...
      our supermarkets usually have things for your everyday-needs, but somehow I didn't count ammotion to this list... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

to give my 2cent; I join the people who think that it's mainly a gun problem (combined with fear of course) and to all the folks that say it's not guns that kill people it's the people themselves, that's surely right, but I wonder how many people got shot without a gun?

sure it's fun to shoot for sports or whatever, but it's also fun to go swiming, play guitar or read a book. I never felt the need for a gun myself.

to all of you (especially the gun owners);
      I'm curious how many of you found themserlves in a situation that seemed to need a gun actually?
      to be honest, I have no clue about your crime or violence situation actually...
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Originally posted by RattleHead:
        Yes, Canadians watch violent movies and T.V. But, there are murders here, but they are pretty infrequent compared to the states and most of them are gang related and are usually gang member on gang member and not too many civilian murders.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">There's gangs in Canada?!? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
          I didn't watch the movie - I can't stand Tom Arnold when he's even remotely mentioned in regards to a national tragedy. Comedians should tell jokes, not point fingers.

KMart was not responsible for Columbine, neither was the NRA. It was their parents. Where were they? Who taught their kids how to hate to that degree? Who was most responsible for making sure their kids DO NOT hate to that degree?

Too many racists on all sides of the color lines in America - THAT'S the problem. Blacks hate Whites because of slavery and all that Segregation/Desegregation shit that doesn't exist any more and all the people who were directly involved in it are long dead, and because there are at least three White people still alive who proclaim White Power.
          Whites hate Blacks because they are perceived as lazy asses who go around with their hands out looking for a welfare check, carrying three Social Security cards, yet driving a gold edition Escalade and wearing expensive jewelry and dealing drugs.
          Hispanics hate Whites because they perceive Whites to be lazy asses who think that flipping burgers should pay them $150,000 a year.
          Whites hate Hispanics because they are perceived as sneaking across an international border to find work and then sending American Dollars back to Mexico instead of pumping it into the same welfare/tax system they are getting subsidised with.
          Hispanics hate Blacks because they are also perceived as lazy asses who expect to be paid $150,000 a year for Slavery Reparation PLUS another $150,000 a year for being Black and Proud.
          Blacks hate Hispanics because they come here and work shitty jobs for low wages that no one else wanted and end up with a better home, car, and future than a Black man or woman sitting on their lazy ass whining about Slavery and how the White Man be keepin a brotha down.

The other problem with America - too many bleeding hearts worrying about other people's feelings. Fuck you all and your feelings. That doesn't mean I don't like you and wish you were dead, that means I don't give a fuck if you're happy or sad - it's not my job to make you happy, and it's not my responsibility to make you like yourself. If you hate yourself, then you have a personal issue you need to sort out and NOT blame it on me. I didn't make you hate yourself, I can't make you like yourself. I can't make you like me, and frankly I don't care if you do or not, because all that matters to me is me, and all that matters to you SHOULD be you. Don't worry whether or not I like you personally, it's not important to your well-being (though the liberal media wants you to think that). Fuck a damn communal mentality - you want peace and love, make it yourself for yourself and do it for yourself, because that's the only way you're gonna get it.

Newc
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">MATT - I 100% COMPLETELY aggree with everything you said....that is EXACTLY how I've felt for years! THANK YOU!!!!

- Joel
          RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
          RIP Dime

Comment

Here's the deal ...

Moore is an fucking asshole who exploited this incident for his own gain..

The US media dictates to kids what is cool and what is not cool ..period..

these kids/killers were made outcast by society via popular media..

these kids made a stand ...a bad one ...but a stand reguardless ..

In America ...if you do not conform to a popular image ..you are percieved as an outcast immediately...that's what killed those kids ...not the parents , Marylin Manson , K Mart , The NRA , Heston ...it was the media PERIOD!

Our Media force feeds what is supposed to be cool down eveyones throat ...Everyone at that time was talking in Ebonic tongues ..those kids didn't and rebelled ...

we can all have our own Cultures and get a long ...I don't have to celebrate black history month ...throw a white history month in the mix and see what happens!!!

We are our worst enemies ...nobody wants Cultural Diversity ...just the illusion of it..

Once I proved this FACT in the police academy ...in "Cultural Diversity" class ..There was a classroon of sixty with open seating ...all of us knew each other ...all of us were in our "blues" , BUT still the classroom was divided by race..even my partner was sitting across the room amoung the other black officers..

After all the instructors ramblings and bullshit of how important Diversity is ...I raised my hand and pointed out the TRUTH!!!

Nobody has ever pointed that out before ...now it is used a the main lesson of the class.

this is what killed those kids..and will kill again before something changes.

Besides , fuckfaces like the Media and Michael Moore love tragedy , they exploit it..Blood is good for ratings!!!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

bullets should cost at least $100,000,000.00 each

Comment

Originally posted by BURN RULES U:
                bullets should cost at least $100,000,000.00 each
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then the crooks can stab your dumb ass with a $5 knife. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

We are our worst enemies ...nobody wants Cultural Diversity ...just the illusion of it..
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is so true. People who preach diversity seldomly have people who are not their kind over to their homes for dinner on their best dinnerware. That's just bullshit people say to avoid looking like the villian. They kicked the dogs, and in the case of Columbine, the dogs bit back. It was a tragedy, but one easily avoided by not treating other people like shit. Since race is brought up, the irony is that people do abuse their own kinds because it's safe to do so. No one's gonna think twice to see a white guy trashing another white guy, but if the other person is black, it's racism. White Columbine kicked around some white kids that they thought were safe to kick around, and were wrong. Those two killers were skinny, umimpressive, and looked like they could get beaten into a coma in a fist fight with a girl, so they're non-threatening, right?

Comment

I didn't throw God in the mix but if you belive in such a diety ..then YES he is absolutely to blame as well

why ...well like I explained in full vivid detail on the old religion thread ..the war between Lucifer and God was about God's choice to give man "free Agency" ...Lucifer and his angels knew that was wayyyyyyyyyy too much power for simple humans to handle ...and he was right ....

you want proof look around you and the history of mankind ...Free Agency made man the most blood thirsty animal on the planet...

All wars including the one we are in at the moment is the result of Free Agency ...the will of God

God's will + Free Agency = this bullshit [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ohhhh...and just to avoid future arguement with any Bible humpers on board..

God is all loving , all knowing , all powerful...

he made Lucifer , knowingly and willingly ...giving him all the knowledge (but w / o the power) of God himself . So Lucifer was punished for just using what God gave him....

So did God fuck up by making Lucifer ...you be the judge..

BTW Lucifer does not or did he EVER create nor Control ...that is God's department. So ALL things good and bad is God's will ...a big fat PERIOD

God made all things from butterflies to abortions ...get it ..

well you should!

That's why I'm a Satanist

Comment

In the words of Robert Heinlein:

"An armed society is a polite society."

Gun control is a farce. Always has been, always will be. Since when do criminals obey any laws? So why would they magically obey a gun control law? By definition, they're criminals, right? The only people who are affected by gun control laws are the law-abiding citizens.

The real reasons for crime are twofold: It's societal culture and the revolving-door justice system. If a punk knows that he won't face any real punishment for killing someone, then what's to stop him?

Let me give you a little background. I grew up in rural Alabama. Back then, it wasn't a bit unusual to see gun racks with shotguns and rifles mounted in the back window of practically every truck you saw on the road. Plus, most people (men, at least) carried pistols everywhere they went. I can't say that violent crime was nonexistent, but there was a hell of a lot less than there is now. Most people had the sense to know that if they broke into someone's house, they could very possibly wind up eating some lead. Surveys done among convicted burglars in prison support this.

Washington, D.C. has some of the most restrictive gun control laws in the country, yet it's often referred to as "Murder Capital, USA." Conversely, Florida enacted a concealed carry law several years ago and violent crime there has dropped steadily since. Facts don't lie.

And a vote for PowerTube is a vote for all that's good and right in America, blah, blah, etc, etc....

Seriously, what's needed is not gun control, but criminal control.
                        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Das right Powertubz ..good points and yeah I agree ...but that's stating the obviouis ..

Now let's me really state the obvious ...someone asked what is the difference between the US and Canada ...do you realy have to ask ???????!!!!!!!!!

look at our criminal make-up , then look at thier's ...Yep, that's the answer!!! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

look at our criminal make-up , then look at thier's ...Yep, that's the answer!!!
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That's putting it blunt and to the point, Bill. Thank you.
                            Scott
                            Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Bill and Stuka,

I agree with you guys, but.... the revolving-door justice system also explains this. If a 10-year term actually meant a 10-year term, I believe it would curtail a lot of this crap. It wouldn't matter how a perp was raised, as long as he knew that his punishment would be for real with no bullshit attached, it would make a difference.
                              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I agree with you PT. The sentence given by the judge should be the sentence served. No argument from me on that.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X