No turning back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No turning back!

awesome work, once again.... !! your progress and perfection of the job amazes me.
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Wow, I need to check in more often. Nice damned work Jackson1!! I'm extremely impressed! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Inearthed, i have had the same thoughts as you have. Should i paint it myself or pay someone to do it?... I think i will let a pro do the job because in my own book, i am simply not experienced enough. I've read tons of stuff on the subject, but experience counts. The painter i talked to is located 5 minutes walk from my home so no worries about shipping that thing. Also, this Fernandes job is not considered a test run just to gain experience. I try hard not to fail at any task, so i step back when my gut tells me so. Paint is such a task.

I will prepare the body as good as i can and let the paint shop do the primer - sanding - paint job. I talked to the guy and he seems relaxed (not worried) about it.

If you decide to paint it yourself then read ALL you can find on the subject and then go through the process in your head. I could point you to some articles if you are blank on the subject. Only after reading a lot, you should decide what route to take. Not before.

I have been thinking a lot about the paint transition from colour to oiled neck. How it's done. How it's masked. How to avoid a big bump of primer & paint and how to make that area strong, so no chipping occurs. I better have another talk to the paint dude about this. This is how it's going to be done or similar:

[/ QUOTE ]
        Henrik,

Thanks for the input. I think I will probably get my guitars refinished from a professional instead of doing them myself. I will try to find a cheap guitar and practice painting / refinishing that first. That finish that you are thinking about looks really nice.

-Rob

Comment

Rob, if you later get the urge to do a paintjob yourself, look around at the www.projectguitar.com forum. There's a lot of good guys over there with a lot of knowledge. Jeremy (LGM Guitars) has made some pretty extensive posts about painting and here's a link to an article about paints, gear and application: <font color="red"> Jeremy paint FAQ </font>

There's a lot of other good stuff on that board. Go read! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Henrik,
            How is it going on the project,
            any updates?
            Finn

Comment

Hey Finn! I'm afraid not, no cool updates. The guitar has been at the painter 3 weeks now and he hasn't even begun priming it yet. So, tomorrow i will pick it up again and look for another (less busy) paint shop OR do it myself. The painter is really a nice guy but i outta kick his ass for doing this.

The Fernandes hasn't been on my mind lately, because we're about to buy a new old house (once again) and you probably know how it is... endless checking, investigations, lawyers, phonecalls, talking to plummers, carpenters, economy, loan papers, f"#¤%&amp; time consuming stuff that needs to be taken care of. All i want right now, is to sit down and play my guitar in a nice trouble-free house i can call my own [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The minute there's any new action going on with the Fernandes i will post it. Probably along with some huge pics [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

/Henrik
              Henrik

Comment

Henrik,
                Are you house hunting in the same city?
                A major "pain" to say the least.
                I was just wondering about the project, it slipped to page 5 on the board and I had to give it a bump.
                Good luck on the house. It will all be over soon!!
                Finn

Comment

Yeah, same area. We haven't signed the contract yet, but we're close. If we're in bad luck someone will sign before us and a lot of planning is wasted. But that's house hunting. You gotta act quick - but not panic. It's a lot of money and i'm under pressure. I wish it was over already.
                  Henrik

Comment

Jackson1, your work is amazingly perfect! I can't believe I missed this thread until now. I very much appreciate you posting this, and I'll be watching for more in the future. This is great!

Comment

• Re: No turning back!

So... when are you going to start making your own guitars?

Your doing some damn talented stuff in my book. I could'nt cut two pieces of wood the same length if I wanted to.

Like everyone else I can't wait to see the finished results.

Comment

Thanks quiksilver and VanOsbourne!

I gave up on having a pro paint the guitar. They are all too busy right now so i thought f*ck them, i'm gonna do it myself or i'll never get this done. So, i primed it today and all went ok. Later i will pick up some white paint, some pearl white and some clear lacquer from the auto paint shop and start painting the guitar pearl white.

Anyway, the reason why i post this is because i found a great way to hang that neckthru Rhoads in the paint booth. I put a hook in the hole for the rear strap lock and hung it from the ceiling with an adjustable metal chain, see pics. The great thing about this, is that you can rotate or swing the guitar in any direction with the free hand holding the neck. Works great.

Later, when i do the thick finishing coats, i will put up another string hanging down from the ceiling, to hold the neck so the guitar will hang horizontal. The plan is to paint the guitar vertical like in the pictures and when the coat is getting thick i will stop painting and swing the guitar up in horizontal position and let it dry sitting there with the surface of the body pointing upwards. That is to avoid runs on the front surface and to help the paint level itself evenly.

Henrik

Comment

Damn, I hope that's just lacquer you're spraying there bro! Even if it is, that little dust mask ain't doing your lungs or brain cells any favors! C'mon dude, you can buy a good cheap disposable respirator for 25 bucks (USD). Get one and USE IT Goddammit!!! BTW, the guitar is looking damn nice!

Comment

I know about the (worthless) dust mask but thanks for the reminder, mm! I had just got some primer from the shop in a jar, already mixed with hardener and it needed to be sprayed asap, so i just went ahead. No time for buying a proper mask. I will today. Or inhale through a long garden hose that runs from your mouth to outside the booth. That works too but it's a bit unpleasant when a beetle or spider decides to enter the hose at the other end (breathe... breathe....!! COUGH! COUGH!) [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Henrik

Comment

Nice to see some progress! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anders
                              https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                I had just got some primer from the shop in a jar, already mixed with hardener and it needed to be sprayed asap, so i just went ahead. No time for buying a proper mask. I will today.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you said "mixed with hardner" I cringed brother! I cringed again when you said "no time to buy a proper mask". Bro, when you're dealing with any "two-part" paints or primers you are screwing with severe health problems down the road. It may not affect you right now, but later in life you're gonna remember my words if you don't take this sh!t more seriously!!! I'm not kidding in the least, don't spray that sh!t without a good respirator!
                                Do an internet search for Isocyanates, you'll see what I'm talking about. I'm not trying to be a prick, just trying to help you bro.

Comment

Working...
                                X