No turning back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: No turning back!

You're not being a prick, mm2002. I sincerely thank you for the wakeup call. You made me finally want a proper respirator and i looked all day yesterday for one without luck. I will continue today and i'm prepared to lay down quite some bucks for the right system.

Could you help me out bro, posting a link to a respirator (pics & description) that you find suitable and low cost, please? One that is comfortable and one that works when sanding sealer and primer too.

I usually take good care of myself but sometimes i get a little exited and focus so much at the job in hand, that i tend to ignore things like this.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

MM is right! Don't screw around with that crap. I paint cars all day and probably have painted over 3500 as of now and you have to be careful. I did a quick google search for 3M respirators and you should be able to find what you need. Mine are all at work or I would just give you a part number. The guy that I replaced at work couldn't do it anymore because of health problems due to painting including kidney failure! He got a transplant and he's alright now. He's my manager now and FLIPS if he see's us without a mask. By the way, your guitar is coming out SWEET! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

I bought a 3M organic vapour / particulate respirator today. The model i wanted was backordered so i went for this:

The salesman claimed that this model is used by many automotive paint shops. Nevertheless i'm still looking for a more professional air supplied respirator system, but i hope this will do for now.

I haven't tested it yet but for the fun of it, i put the respirator on and opened the strongest smelling curry paste i have and held it directly under the intake filters. I could not smell the curry at all - nice test eh [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Wearing the mask first made me feel like i was choking, but i just have to get used to it.
        Henrik

Comment

Hey, Get Bill-Z-Gas, to fart in a jar and send it to ya.
          That should be the ultimate test [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
          Finn

Comment

Here's some good info. Email 3M if in doubt and they're awesome to answer questions.
            http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...me_us_ohes_3_0

BTW, the one you pictured isn't capable of filtering ico's.
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Ok, i am at the final stages at the Rhoads modding project.
              The guitar has been primed, shot with white colour, shot with pearl
              and then clear coated with sanding in between. Lots of clear coats.
              Lots of sanding.

There's a lot of stuff i learned from these stages and a lot of info
              to be told, but this post is just a short one to show you some
              progress. If you have specific questions just ask away.

I stopped wet-sanding at grit 2000 and did a quick rubbing compound
              job on the guitar with a sponge and a 3M rubbing product. That means
              it hasn't been final polished yet, so there's a lot of gloss and
              shine to be expected later.

Man, i'm moving house at the moment TOO, so i just slammed this post
              together. Hope it's not too messy.

I took the following pictures today, indoors, no flash and in rainy
              weather so you guys know it is very tough to get good results. I'll
              shoot some more at a better day.

Remember the rear route mod?:

This is today. The mod is 100% invisible. In fact, after my paint job
              and sanding, the whole surface of the guitar is more even than before
              i started. The colour is a (turned out) silverish pearl white, which
              matches the inlays on the neck very well. More on that later when i
              get the hardware mounted.

This test is tough and unforgiving. Look for crooked and uneven lines
              in the finish around the controls where the main modification took
              place. Use the mirrored image from the 3M container and follow the
              lines. I think they are OK straight. When the sunlight comes out and
              the guitar is polished, i will do a better photo then. Notice how
              the label is uneven!
              I should have found a better object [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bevel near the front strap. The buttom part in the picture is still
              wet-sanded with grit 2000. The upper shiny part is rubbed with the 3M
              product - not polished yet.

I think i will be proud of this one when it's done. It has flaws in
              the finish due to my inexperience, but they are minor. It's my first
              mod and paint job ever to a guitar and i really enjoy it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              Henrik

Comment

Wow. That looks great! Especially first a first timer. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

1 word, GREAT, really a profi job, seems you are talented!
                  keep m coming

harrald

Comment

damn, that came up great!
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

<font color="aqua">It's looking amazing bro, I'm very impressed. It's hard to believe this is your first..... [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Fantastic work, Henrik! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img] I've been following this thread since the beginning &amp; your work has really inspired me to try my hand at a refin. Can't wait to see the finished product! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I agree with the other guys!! Looks very nice indeed, I'm dying to see the finished product as well! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Anders
                          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

Looks incredible, especially for a first-timer!

Comment

Where's the heavy blush-graemlin when you need it? Thanks all!

It is a first timer and i can show you flaws in the paint,
                              which is my fault. Lemme get it polished and the hardware mounted
                              and then i'll shoot a few final pics.

I have NO experience in painting with pearl, so that might explain
                              the problems i had. In retrospective, the first layer of pearl was
                              waayy to light and the following layer of clear was also too thin, so
                              i sanded through to the white basecolour in some places. Looked like
                              ass. Stupid me. Also the thin pearl looked dirty and grey. I decided
                              to cover the sand-throughs by shooting pearl over the whole body
                              again.

Pearl is somewhat transparent, so it needed quite a thick layer. The
                              pearl effect became much more noticeable and even and it came out
                              great, because it matches the siler-grey shark inlays on the
                              fretboard. It was meant to be, hehe.

Using the 3M rubbing compound by hand doesn't work as i expected. I
                              can't get that real glossy effect, but i hope it's due to NOT using a
                              polishing machine. I'm looking for that machine right now. I'm NOT
                              paying $450 for a Metabo! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              Henrik

Comment

Beautiful job! I admire your skills!

Comment

Working...
                                X