it´s really interesting to see you working on this project
    keep on doing this great work
    andy

Comment

Re: No turning back!

Wow -nice job! Can't wait to see more.

Comment

seriously - you should look into starting up a customisation shop. you're doing such a pro job, might as well try and make some money doing something you like. i'm sure there is a good market for it over there.
        ~JW
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

dude im jealous!! your backplate recess is straighter than mine!!!! guess i'll have to re-do it, and properly this time ..... =)

oh, and how are you going to make a plate for the control cavity? just curious, cause it would be very helpful advice for making mine.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Initially i would have Dave make me those couple of plates, but i'd had to custom make him a 100% precise template out of say cardboard and send it to him to use. Then i thought, why not make them myself - making precise cut templates would take almost as long as just making the final plates myself.

So i visited the local scrap yard and found a couple of 1.3mm (0.05")thick aluminium plates in the garbage bin. If that sounds thin to you don't worry - they will be plenty stiff and rigid. The old guy who runs the place wasn't there and he didn't show up even though i called out and used his bell. What the hell, i threw the plates in my car and drove off feeling a little guilty [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

The recess for the trem plate cover is standard Jackson measures so i just use one of my Jackson plates as template. For the control cavity i just made a quick template out of cardboard and use that. I take a square sheet of cardboard or just paper and press it down on the recess, using the backside of my finger nail to press along the recess. This will "transfer" the recess to the paper in a 3D sorta way and then you can cut it out with a pair of scissors and trim it with an exacto knife and a ruler. Then lay the template down on the aluminium and outline it with a CD marker pen. Ready for cutting.

I don't have a metal cutter so i'm just sawing them into shape (roughly) and then filing / sanding the plates to perfect fit. Remember that paint will take up some space. Using spirit as "cutting oil" will help you file and drill in aluminium. Remember that, when doing the countersunk holes. I am using my belt sander for the final sanding but the speed build up heat very fast in aluminium, so it's not perfect, but i'm trying to work with the few tools i have.

I don't know yet how i'm going to paint them... painting aluminium could be a little difficult, i dunno... I could also just sand them to look brushed.
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know yet how i'm going to paint them... painting aluminium could be a little difficult, i dunno... I could also just sand them to look brushed.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Use some very fine sandpaper and also look for some "0000 steel wool" at your hardware store and use that to brush the aluminum. It gives it a nice "satin" sheen. Then you could just use a good acrylic clearcoat or a water based polyurethane. I say water based because the oil based will make it look yellow colored.

You're doing a great job my friend!! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Your making me want to buy a project guitar now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Ok, i cut the plates today. No science needed and no special tools needed. I used my handheld DeWalt 12V drill, a belt sander, some files and drills and a countersink bit thingie. Oh yeah and a syringe with spirit which is very handy when you drill or file in that aluminium. Keep the cutting tools soaked by applying spirit often while you work. Tools will cut much better and the aluminium gets cut clean - not squashed.

The finished plates (se bottom) needs a final touch up before they are ready for some kind of coat. Thanks for the advice on the satin look, Dave! But i might try and paint these plates white. The same colour the body gets. We'll see.

The two templates used and the the scrap aluminium cut rough:

All you need. The syringe makes it easy to apply spirit to the blade on the file. Aluminium is rather soft, so protect it when working with it:

Countersunk using a very dull bit (the only one i had). It worked out ok though:

I made a loose fit, otherwise i'd just chip the paint later:

All done:

Close up:
                  Henrik

Comment

wow nice work! that looks awesome

Comment

Wow... VERY nice.

Are you going to be painting the guitar yourself? I ask this because I'm curious as to how you go about painting a guitar that is set neck / neck thru (I have one myself and I'm thinking about trying to paint it instead of send it off someplace).

Comment

Looking good! Another step closer to completion.

Comment

Inearthed, i have had the same thoughts as you have. Should i paint it myself or pay someone to do it?... I think i will let a pro do the job because in my own book, i am simply not experienced enough. I've read tons of stuff on the subject, but experience counts. The painter i talked to is located 5 minutes walk from my home so no worries about shipping that thing. Also, this Fernandes job is not considered a test run just to gain experience. I try hard not to fail at any task, so i step back when my gut tells me so. Paint is such a task.

I will prepare the body as good as i can and let the paint shop do the primer - sanding - paint job. I talked to the guy and he seems relaxed (not worried) about it.

If you decide to paint it yourself then read ALL you can find on the subject and then go through the process in your head. I could point you to some articles if you are blank on the subject. Only after reading a lot, you should decide what route to take. Not before.

I have been thinking a lot about the paint transition from colour to oiled neck. How it's done. How it's masked. How to avoid a big bump of primer &amp; paint and how to make that area strong, so no chipping occurs. I better have another talk to the paint dude about this. This is how it's going to be done or similar:

Henrik

Comment

Hello Henrik.
                            Just returned home from a week of camping in the BIG Redwoods.
                            Nice to see the great process your making.
                            The cat pictures kill me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (we have 6 at last count)
                            Keep'em coming.
                            Finn

Comment

Hi Finn. Redwoods. I was in America for a week back in 1987, landed in LA i think, stayed at a hotel in San Jose and drove on a sightseeing to San Franciso, Carmel, in that area. At some point we stumbled over a place which had unbelievable huge Redwoods! I was in awe. Completely stunned. We have big trees in DK allright, but gimme a break - those trees were like garages at the root, you could park your car inside them! Same place you think? Huge and fantastic, like many other things we discovered in USA back then. A great country where we felt like there is no limit anywhere. Gave us a strong good feeling of freedom and freedom of choice. Good times!
                              Henrik

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                we felt like there is no limit anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except on the highway LOL! Those speed limits were/are hilarious! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                                Henrik

Comment

Working...
                                X