No turning back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No turning back!

Rain halted the project yesterday. Then today, Little Martin (a cat) halted the project! He's a funny guy but more on that later. Below are pics of the next step - filling the front cover with fibre glass.

I applied two layers of fibre glass. First a thin layer pressed firmly down in all the cracks. Then, as little sanding as possible followed by a second layer. Again followed by sanding flush. Sanding the fibre glass will cut the fibres and weaken the material, so that's why you'd want to avoid it. There will be small pits in fibre glass after sanding, so i filled them with some elastic super filler. Also, i applied fibre glass to the backside of the wooden lid, meaning in the cavity. The construction is now very strong.

1st layer of fibre glass:

A couple of layers painted on with a brush inside the control cavity - from the back:

2nd layer of fibre glass:

Fibre glass surface sanded, filled, sanded, ready for primer & paint. The surface is so smooth that i can't feel any bumps when running my fingers over it.

I mentioned the cat Little Martin. He's a great guy and always ready for action. Of course, when i'm working outside, he wants a piece of the action - sanding dust or not! LOL!

Come on Henrik, lets play that Rhoads!:

Aww, if i look real cute you'll play with me! I won't scratch that fine rosewood clawboard, heh!:

Well, i think i'm gonna rest a bit... why not here. I like that Fernandes:

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Henrik, All my relatives live in Silkeborg. I haven't been there in years. I might visit next year. Will have to look you up to see the project in person [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      Finn

Comment

Finn, really?! Silkeborg is a wonderful place. So is Skanderborg for that matter, the two towns are actually quite similar. Earlier i was wondering why an american would be named Finn, but i thought it was a handle or something. Are you born in Denmark?

You know, if you come to DK next year you are more than welcome to come visit! The Fernandes should be just about ready by then, ha ha! :-)
        Henrik

Comment

looking great!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I can't wait to see this when it is done!

Comment

Well, i'm facing two minor problems at the moment. One is, should the body just be all white or should i go for some B/W graphic. I'm a sucker for B/W graphics... If i lived where most of you guys live, in the US, i would have a pro graphics job made. Unfortunately i don't and custom paint jobs around here are.. well, too expensive.

Secondly, i want to install a 5-way blade switch and therefore need to route a thin <2mm slot for the lever, but a 2mm router bit is not available around here. They start at 4mm. Any ideas how to cut a clean slot with other tools?
              Henrik

Comment

Instead of the 5 way you could use either a PRS knob switcher or push pull pots. That would keep the same look as the RR control layout.

Comment

Drill 2 - 2mm holes and carve out the slot between them with an exacto knife.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

<font color="blue"> Man, I have to tell you, I was disappointed when you started stripping the finish off that guitar because it was so nice. Looking at your project now, I am floored by the job you are doing. It looks GREAT so far. Keep up the good work. </font>
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Joe, i'm searching the net right now for all info on that rotary switch. I got some, but i'd like to know if it can do what StewMac's <font color="blue"> Super Switch (link) </font> can do?

Any technical info on that 5-way rotary switch are welcome, so is any experiences using it!
                      Henrik

Comment

zeegler, thanks for the input, but i don't think a normal exacto knife will cut through 4mm hard rock maple + 1,5mm fibre glass. Are you referring to a special sawtooth equipped one?

Stuka, thanks for the support - finally! He-he j/k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                        Henrik

Comment

Heres a 6 way switch.
                          I believe Gibson uses these on "Lucielle" If you sans the plate and dial knob and just put a standard knurled knob it would be very slick. http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI...02956&amp;rd=1
                          not my auction,just showing for reference
                          keep up the good work

Comment

Henrik , do as Zeegler said drill two small holes.Then take a hacksaw blade and cut in half lenght wise.You might have to drill two holes next to each to start.You should be able to cut through with no problem.Then you can file it to fit.
                            Mike
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

Henrik, Im first generation American. Born in Oakland ,Ca. My parents came to the U.S from DK. in 1958. My moms side is from Silkeborg, my Dads side is close to Arhus. All my relatives still live there. I can understand Danish but can't speak it well. I will get in contact with ya when I find out when I can make it. All my cousins play music, Drums,Trumpet And Trombone. With some beers flowing who knows what kind of noise we can make [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              Keep up the good work!!
                              Finn

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                                zeegler, thanks for the input, but i don't think a normal exacto knife will cut through 4mm hard rock maple + 1,5mm fibre glass. Are you referring to a special sawtooth equipped one?
                                [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out your local hobby shop. You can get dozens of different varieties of blades. You won't be able to go through in one pass obviously, but if you use the knife to score the boundaries of the cut, then use the half hacksaw blade as mentioned above, you'll be able to get a nice clean cut.

Better still, get yourself a Dremel rotary tool. You should be able to get a 2mm bit for that.
                                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                                X