Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No turning back!

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel:
    aw man, your fuckin with the fernades rhoads i want from you!
    ~JW
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My thoughts exactly. Why do this to such a nice guitar? I understand that it is your guitar to do with as you please, but it saddens me to see this. I have never come accross one of these here in NJ, and I always liked yours. Good luck on your project!
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Guys, let's talk again when it is finished :-) I can understand your concerns or thoughts about this. I had them myself but i really wanted to do this. The alterations i'm going to make on this guitar will make it even more valuable to me if all goes well. It is a really nice playing guitar and i'm not ruining it you know. I am customizing it. I'm good with tools so it will be quality work. Yes, it's not original anymore but that does not make me sad. In fact, it makes me happy working with guitars!

Btw. frets are fine, lighting made it weird looking.

/Henrik
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Update. Look at the before and after in this pic after removing the yellow stained clear coat on the bindings. The difference is huge! I am very happy with the results up till now! Neck and head stock is stripped, sanded and oiled - i'll shoot some pics of that later.

/Henrik
        Henrik

Comment

are you going to re-clear the guitar when you're done? i'm glad the project is going well and you're having a good time with it; that's all that matters.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I've been thinking a lot about what to do with the bindings now that they are "exposed". Yes, clear coating them again with proper type of coat is one idea. What's your suggestion, sully? Do you think they will fade even quicker or get dirty when left bare and exposed? What would you suggest for clear coat? Any special brand or features to look for? I sanded the bindings, ending up doing them with close to 2000 grid - very smooth they are now.

/Henrik
            Henrik

Comment

Okay, neck is finished. I shot some new pics of it. I must say that this has turned out very much to my liking. All my guitars the last 15 years has been with painted or laquered necks (back) and i really wanted to try and have one oiled. After scraping and sanding i applied a special worktop oil (danish product) with white pigment and UV blocker to the back of the neck and headstock. The oil soaks for 20 minutes and then it is wiped off. I repeated the process twice and wet sanded with #800 while the oil was soaking. The oil then needs to sit/harden for 24 hours and then i polished it using a special sponge with a hard "polystyrene-mesh" on one side.

The finish is now silk "mat" and very light in color. Actually the maple wood is almost unchanged in color, even though it is now oiled. The feel of the neck is totally awesome smooth! Almost cold feeling. Velvet-like, crazy! Very very nice and easy to slide up and down. Old news to you guys perhaps, but i am amazed by this oil treatment! The process can be repeated whenever it is needed.

Neck is soaking. Oil is Trip Trap Worktop Oil White

Old head stock finish, lousy pic

New head stock finish

Silk-like finish neck

Back to work - i have a long road ahead of me :-)

/Henrik
              Henrik

Comment

This gives me an idea for my 85 San Dimas RR. Where did I put my knife [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] It looks good man!

Comment

Looks like you're doing a fine job bro!! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Everything looks great IMO. It also seems like you're having alot of fun doing this hard work. A labor of love no doubt.

Comment

oh yeah, but man, sweet kicks!

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by delt:
                        i was doing the same to a rhoads body the other day.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Where's the pics?! You're more than welcome in this thread - WITH PICS! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'd love to see what you did. Did you strip the whole body?

/Henrik
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And then some. Hes putting in a 24fret neck [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And there were a ton of pics over at the old sinergy board but thats closed. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

hey henrik, i didn't realize you were stripping the body too! what color are you going with, or will you leave it natural?

that's a REALLY pretty slab of rosewood on there, looks really nice!

sully
                          Sully Guitars on Google+
                          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Your input and kind words means a lot, bruthas! I thought about this mod for many a nights and now, in the middle of it, i ask myself why the hell i didn't do this years ago. The neck is killer, i can really recommend it. Doing it to an 85 SD Rhoads..... he he, that's a tough decision, mulder1966. I think you are kidding me.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

86mod5, that's pretty wise wording you had there, because i'm in love with this old metal axe again, after many years in the dark case. Up close it had turned very yellow or nicotine'ish, unevenly spread out in the clear coat and that made it kinda dirty looking. Tired even. I think my resuscitation attempt is working!

And Dave, i have 6 guitars and counting and some of them is crying out for custom rings and stuff, so i might approach you Sir in the future, to see if you can help me out. We talked last year about this, but i fucked it up, because i was moving house (in panic), changed jobs 2-3 times and closed my email account and lost a lot of emails. I hate when people do that to me (no replys) so i hate myself for it. Sorry, bro!

/Henrik
                            Henrik

Comment

sully, yeah the body gets it too. As i wrote earlier it had turned yellow. I wanted to strip a lot of paint off the body, to avoid having tons of paint on it. Also, it had several dings and stuff and i just kept scraping, filling and sanding till they were gone.

The body will be painted snow white again, but first i have to fill that front control cavity and rear route it. I'm irresolute about how to fill it though. It has slowed me down. It has to be done right, so no cracks or sunken paint will be showing later on.

I am all open for suggestions and experiences with this task.

/Henrik
                              Henrik

Comment

there's no way you can fill it and have it be invisible; you have to veneer the top.

i'm a fan of the yellowing myself, but one can always wetsand the body a bit to remove the topmost yellowed clearcoat, if that makes any sense. then again, the actual color coat may be yellowing too, i'm not sure.

sully
                                Sully Guitars on Google+
                                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                                X