Rhoads Signature Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
    Well, I'm neutral on this. Aren't we many times at the mercy of the sound engineer, producer or recording engineer?
    very true, well said sir. mics/ wires/ mixing/ mastering can really alter guitar tone.

Comment

I think Randy's tone was horrible but I'd love to try that amp because it looks fucking cool and maybe it sounds great.

I think Kerry King's tone is even worse than Randy's not to mention Kerry's playing is a headache to me but some dude played with his signature amp and sounded fucking amazing.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Funny thing reading all these comments - I just posted cause I am a huge Aldrich fan and wanted to know if anyone had clips of the demo.
        I am a fan of Randy as well, but I don't want to sound like him... having said that - it's cool that they released this ... just not for me.

Comment

there's a vid link, but aldrich isn't demoing it...like i said before why would he? he has nothing to do with randy

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
            there's a vid link, but aldrich isn't demoing it...like i said before why would he? he has nothing to do with randy
            I dunno - perhaps because he's demoed (sp??) Marshalls in the past? And I heard he was flying in just for that one day for a jam and/or demo
            It was just what I heard... figured I'd try to get a NAMM rumor confirmed... and maybe see some new footage of one of my favorite players
            No biggie
            Last edited by Wayniac; 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              Well, I'm neutral on this. Aren't we many times at the mercy of the sound engineer, producer or recording engineer? Remember, Sharon had a lot do do with the Mastering of Ozzy's albums to the point of deleting sections, items and artists as well.
              That is defintely true. From what I gathered, even Randy was pretty critical of his tone too and went to lengths to get it where he wanted at the end of the road. You listen to the live cuts that were out in the beginning when the prelim shows for the Blizzards tour were being done...the sound was much more raw and it sounded alot closer to the video for crazy train posted above. That in itself is fine but you can tell the stories about Randy being discerning about his own tone were true as he really seemed to have got it dialed in more in a matter of a year. When I heard The King Biscuit Flour Hour for Diary... now that tone took what was on the Diary album and made it even 'more tasty' (to quote an asian takeout menu)

Everyones tastes are different, 'cause when Jake came along, I didn't care for his tone as much on the production of Bark. His playing was chainsaw rippin, but the overall production didn't click with me and I thought it paled next to Diary... so much so that I never bought another Ozzy record after that.

Yngwie would strike me the same way tho too (probably moreso because he did the producing himself) as would early Viv Campbell.

The bar was definitely set pretty high by VH 1 & 2 in those days
              but all these guys are absolutely great players in their own respect.

The reissue amp looks and sounds..dare I say..'killer' for a JMP though. 1500-2000 can get a great deal of amp options nowadays too so this is limited niche up against alot of competition. Great if you were already looking for slightly hopped 4 input transistion model JMP from 30 years ago without having to get it overhauled.
              Last edited by charvelguy; 01-24-2008, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
                Everyones tastes are different, 'cause when Jake came along, I didn't care for his tone as much on the production of Bark. His playing was chainsaw rippin, but the overall production didn't click with me and I thought it paled next to Diary... so much so that I never bought another Ozzy record after that.
                Amen. Jake's tone was 80's hair metal....nothing but Ratt and Roll. Generic at best and wafer thin. Randy's tone, distinctive to this very day.

Comment

thats just not true man. jakes tone was awesome on the ultimate sin. really big and heavy. i thought diary was rushed and just generic for the most part. some of the songs sounded like they'd actually just reworked a few blizzard songs. over the mountain kicks ass tho.

Comment

Kick Ass Amp! And it comes in White!

Comment

I, too, am not a huge fan of Randy's recorded tone. But I gotta tellya, this amp sounds really really good! And that's just guitar-cord-amp. It didn't need any help to sound like that.

I also agree that recorded tone and live two many times are two different animals. But if this was what Randy's live tone was like, all I need to say is wow.

Comment

Originally posted by mattsmusiccenter View Post
                        I have some of these available if anyone is interested. I heard the amp and it just about ripped my head off. That sucker is LOUD and gainy!!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
                        35 Pleasant St
                        Weymouth MA 02190 USA
                        781-335-0700
                        www.mattsmusic.com
                        Can I borrow one for a couple weeks so Jeff can reverse engineer it?:ROTF:
                        Scott
                        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

if u go on the diary of an axeman randy website, you can download whole live shows. real beefy tone

Comment

Originally posted by sonicsamurai View Post
                            because Doug has one of the best tones ever, everything he touches sounds awesome, he even made ENGL's (the amps wich I hate the most) sound amazing.

btw. it's silly to claim that you couldn't get a great heavy tone durning that time with the exeption of Van Halen... umm Tony fucking Iommi anyone.. he had huge tone since the early-mid 70's, there's a bunch of other guys too.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                              because Doug has one of the best tones ever, everything he touches sounds awesome, he even made ENGL's (the amps wich I hate the most) sound amazing.

btw. it's silly to claim that you couldn't get a great heavy tone durning that time with the exeption of Van Halen... umm Tony fucking Iommi anyone.. he had huge tone since the early-mid 70's, there's a bunch of other guys too.
                              i'm not denying doug hasn't got great tone, but he's not exactly appropriate, unless he's now claiming he's a huge randy fan. maybe some one like zakk would have ben better to play randy stuff?

Comment

Doug is a Randy fan and can nail his stuff way better than Zakk

Comment

Working...
                                X