Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marty is definatley playing Ibanez now

Man,
    You know, I love this forum, own a few (less than 5) Charvels and at one point, not too long ago, I wouldn't have thought any guitar was better to own than a Charvel. Maybe I'm crazy, but I have always liked the older Charvels way better than any of the Jacksons.
    I now have my few Charvels, few ESPs and a **** load of Ibanezes.
    I have to tell you guys, from a "Gear-Acquisition-Syndrome" victim, you can't beat the Ibanezes in the used market. When I can pick up a mint condition RG5xx for $175-$200 -- I can't pass it up. I've done it a couple dozen times in the last couple months and I can't touch Charvels of that caliber for that kind of money.
    I am a huge fan of REAL Floyd Roses and even of the Schaller Floyds, but the Edge trems are not to be counted out, they can be and have been to me some of the best trems on the market.
    Who's to say that someone is wrong for using a different model? If it were up to me, I'd own a boat load of higher end ESPs. BUT - Since money IS an issue, I'll keep my collection well stocked of Ibanez RG5xx/RG7xx's -- I know you can pick up some Charvels here and there for that kind of price range, but then you end up in a bidding war with some other guy (probably one of you guys!) and then the price goes way too high.
    Ibanezes are not nearly as scarce.

Then again, maybe Ibanez offered him up a better deal than Jackson... Vai, Satriani and Paul Gilbert can't be wrong... See a trend here?

SUPERSHREDDER = Eventual Ibanez involvement.

Comment

I agree with you completley! Well said! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Say what you want about Ibanez but I have a Jem I like. In fact every ibanez I ahve had is a gret value. I can say the same about Jackson too actually. To be honest I have owned 2 KH-2's and that has been the most disappointing of all the guitars I have had. I know it wasn't jsut one either it was both of them. I think honestly the Jem is a very well rounded guitar.
        I keep the bible in a pool of blood
        So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

Look at it this way. AKAI was running off old fame for Jackson. They were doing diddly for promotions. Ya they kept a few endorsee's, but other than that it was just staying afloat.

Fender on the other hand, has gone to many lenghts to promote Jackson. They are using thier distributing to get them all over the world.

Proof: For the last 2 years or so, you used to able to call up Jackson and be able to pick and choose from anywhere from 50-150 USA Jacksons in stock in thier warehouse. Now you are lucky to see 5. They went in and updated the Custom Shop machines, which has been needed for years.

Comment

I could be totally wrong but it seems a lot of you guys are just playing Jackson from what your idols play and that's why your getting all mad about them leaving? No one made fun of Martys pants as long as he had a Jackson around his neck? But since he found a guitar that better suits him everyone must bash him? I don't understand this..

Comment

Over here in the ****ty little swedish town where I live, there has been a remarkable change since Fender's takeover. Before it, you would only see used Jackson bolt-ons in the shops. Jackson wasn't even mentioned in the pricelist of the biggest store where I live - if you wanted one, you´pretty much had to make a special order. Now though, there are always a few new Jacksons on display there. No US models mind you, but it's Jacksons nevertheless. And the pricelist has _all_ current Jackson models listed. If that's not a change for the better, I don't know what it is.

'bane

[ May 30, 2003, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Hey, Steve, I'll tell every one I know when your vid comes out. majour exposure! hehe!

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                  I'm proud of Marty for doing that. I think he should play whatever makes him feel comfortable.
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Musically comfortable or financially comfortable? I never heard him complain about his Kellys until after he left Jackson.

Comment

I'm not an Ibanez basher, even own a couple of them myself. However I do feel Jackson is a superior guitar. I also own one of Marty's Kellys and I would still rather see him with Jackson, but oh well he's moved on to Ibanez and that doesn't change the fact that he's a great guitar player. Also keep in mind that when Marty left Megadeth he stuck around for while helping his then replacement Al Pitrelli. I don't personally know Marty nor have I even met him but sounds like a class act to me.

Rudy

P.S. I did see Megadeth live a few years ago and at the time Marty was playing his Kelly. Thats the image of him I will always remember, not with an Ibanez [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Sephiroth:
                      </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Word:
                      I'm proud of Marty for doing that. I think he should play whatever makes him feel comfortable.
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Musically comfortable or financially comfortable? I never heard him complain about his Kellys until after he left Jackson. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spoken like a boy whose folks pay the bills! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What does it matter? Does Marty owe you anything? He makes music that you can accept or reject. He's living his life,
                      not you. Bills are bills, though it's
                      easy to ignore that if you're a gameboy
                      who lives with Mom and Dad. You can't eat a Kelly or give it to your bank as a mortgage payment, and the right money wasn't forthcoming from Jackson, but it was from Ibanez, so he took it to help secure his future. Beats playing muzak in Holiday Inns when you're 65 years old,
                      as many once-popular musicians do today.
                      Who the hell are any of us to judge his
                      life-affecting decisions? It's his business and none of ours. There's no doubt that HIS Ibanezes are and will be fine guitars, which matters most to Marty. They'll still make Kellys if
                      you keep buying them - maybe $5 cheaper since they're not giving freebies to Marty now! Feel better now? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ June 03, 2003, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Musically comfortable or financially comfortable? I never heard him complain about his Kellys until after he left Jackson.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">i havn't heard him complain about the kellys. If i had been playing them for as long as him i probably would of wanted a change

Comment

would HAVE wanted!

[img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I knew there was something wrong about that sentence when i was writing it, but i couldn't put my finger on it.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Sephiroth:
                              </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Word:
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Musically comfortable or financially comfortable? I never heard him complain about his Kellys until after he left Jackson. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Spoken like a boy whose folks pay the bills! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What does it matter? Does Marty owe you anything? He makes music that you can accept or reject. He's living his life,
                              not you. Bills are bills, though it's
                              easy to ignore that if you're a gameboy
                              who lives with Mom and Dad. You can't eat a Kelly or give it to your bank as a mortgage payment, and the right money wasn't forthcoming from Jackson, but it was from Ibanez, so he took it to help secure his future. Beats playing muzak in Holiday Inns when you're 65 years old,
                              as many once-popular musicians do today.
                              Who the hell are any of us to judge his
                              life-affecting decisions? It's his business and none of ours. There's no doubt that HIS Ibanezes are and will be fine guitars, which matters most to Marty. They'll still make Kellys if
                              you keep buying them - maybe $5 cheaper since they're not giving freebies to Marty now! Feel better now? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
                              </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I never said he owed me anything, but choosing between what you prefer as a musician and what you're paid to prefer can be two different things. If you doubt that, then go look at how unhappy Mustaine looks in the pic with his new ESP. Insulting me gets you nowhere really, since it's a moot point to someone who's made millions like Friedman playing what made him happy, only to play what pays to play once the glory days are over. His business and none of ours? I doubt that if he signs an endorsement deal and expects us to buy his Ibanez sig models.

Comment

Not meant as an insult, just to point out
                                you may not think of the practical aspects of being a pro musician. Marty probably didn't make millions even in his heydey, because in Megadeth Dave was the big earner; the others were employees.
                                Outside his Megadeth career he was fairly obscure, so chances are while he's made a great living he's not financially secure.
                                I don't expect you to buy his sig Ibanez, and most likely neither does he; it's IBANEZ who's hoping for that. Let Marty
                                make some $ with them until they figure
                                out if it works or not.

Yeah, Dave don't look too happy with that ESP, but that's Dave's image. I have a 1990 Kackson ad with him sittng on a doorstep with a King V, and he looks like
                                he can't stand to touch it. That's just his thing.

It doesn't stop me from playing what I want to just because a player I like switches. Don't let it bother you, is what I guess I should've said.
                                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X