Mini Amp Craze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a mini 6505 would be awesome!

Peavey had it in their catalog a few years back... But it never came out...

JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Chief_CrazyTalk View Post
      I play strictly at home but I'd like to buy a Marshall 2210.
      Best Marshall heads I've ever owned (had a shitload)..Ran two full STACKS in stereo..in the bedroom at 3--4--5 AM

BTW: everyone..Hain Gain amps sound great in the bedroom anwhoo..preamp gain..duh!

Then you have a great bedroom amp that you could play at the Coliseum without a PA!

small amps..sound ..small..

DUH...
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I haven't brought it up before because there are some good dudes on this forum but frankly I've never understood how most of you can play with such pussy ass amps which are only 100w or in some cases 150w. If I'd have to gig with anything less than my 180w head then I might as well go to retirement home.
        Last edited by Endrik; 10-23-2011, 02:00 PM.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
          So who else do you think is going to jump in on this high gain lunch box mini amp thing?

Egnater, VHT, Mesa, Orange, are all in the market. who's next?

Splawn?
          Fryette?
          Rivera?
          Marshall?
          Dr. Z?
          peavey?
          Hughes and Kettner too.
          Originally posted by BenoA View Post
          a mini 6505 would be awesome!

Peavey had it in their catalog a few years back... But it never came out...

That is awesome, as much as I like the concept of mini amps, I much prefer 6l6's over el84's. That would really sound like a 6505/5150 instead of a watered down recto.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            I haven't brought it up before because there are some good dudes on this forum but frankly I've never understood how most of you can play with such pussy ass amps which are only 100w or in some cases 150w. If I'd have to gig with anything less than my 180w head then I might as well go to retirement home.
            Tommy Lee wrote a song with Stu Hamm some years ago called "If you're scared..stay home". Stu said that Tommy actually yelled that at a driver who was driving like old people fuck.

Right beside me is my faithful, awesome 200 watt Marshall 9200 in stereo with FOUR muthfuggin' Marshall Cabs. It is the best bedroom amp in fuggin' history. And it will eat any live rig imaginable. I hook it up to one Marshall Cab in stereo..and it KILLED my Ubershall half stack. The Uberschall was cranked louder than I ever had it, with the mids cranked..and the Marshall squashed it at half the volume on tap..

Best of both worlds. High gain amp = preamp gain = all the gaim you need for the bedroom or the coliseum..without a PA.

Small amps have their place..practicing in the bathroom...closet...some people reven ecord with the fuckers.. As Endy certainly know with todays production and tools...you can make a small amp sound huge. Many people don't even use an amp..they plug into their PC..and fuggums.

I like old scool myself..sound you can FEEL..that make your sack tingle. Small amps don't do that. They go direct to the sound guy and into the monitor. Meanwhile, the rest of the band is without a guitar on stage. Just incoherent noise blowin' out of monitor that resembles a guitar takin' a hairy dump. I know this..these ar facts!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              now your talking.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Gain is one thing, volume another.
                Since no one took me up on the question I posed...
                Nearly all of those mini designs use EL84's, not necessarily the best choice.
                And they still make the same mistake of downsizing the exact circuits they
                use on higher wattage amps.
                That doesn't cut it for mimicking the tone of a large amp.
                The small watt amp has to be tuned to do it right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                  Gain is one thing, volume another.
                  Since no one took me up on the question I posed...
                  Nearly all of those mini designs use EL84's, not necessarily the best choice.
                  And they still make the same mistake of downsizing the exact circuits they
                  use on higher wattage amps.
                  That doesn't cut it for mimicking the tone of a large amp.
                  The small watt amp has to be tuned to do it right.
                  My VHT special 6 ultra uses a 6V6 tube.
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

My VHT special 6 ultra uses a 6V6 tube.
                    Yep, "Nearly all" means just that.
                    6V6 is a fine tube for the application.

Comment

Check my Avatar for my idea "mini" stack I usually gig with my Marshall Randy Rhoads, SLO 100, Bogners (Uberschall and Ecstasy), Randall RM100, or Bad Cat Hot Cat. Nothing mini in any of them! Ironically, I do have a Zvex Nano head. Technically it doesn't contain the word mini, tiny, or small but it is small enough to fit in the palm of your hand. I've had people tell me its too loud playing it through a 1x12 cab at home
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

So who else do you think is going to jump in on this high gain lunch box mini amp thing?

Egnater, VHT, Mesa, Orange, are all in the market. who's next?

Splawn?
                        Fryette?
                        Rivera?
                        Marshall?
                        Dr. Z?
                        peavey?
                        Well, Splawn does have Street Rod. While not a mini formfactor it is a low power solution.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Rudy perked my interest about Zvex Nano. I never heard of it..pretty cool. You can start here..Jeez, it's small >>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U9ylAeSvDY

Comment

Good example of a bedroom amp. The dude is talking over the volume at the intro..see...so...>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7mv...eature=related

To me, any serious player should have a main "rig" and a worthy portable version of that tone for certain occassions..

or

cool little expensive toys to play with..I like toys. Toys are fun...

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone on this forum is a 'Rock Star' who needs walls of amps and cabs to blow your ears out. I'm sure many a 'bedroom' player lurks here who wants to get a great sound or tone but can't crank up the db's for fear of blowing out a window, or pissing off a significant other or neighbor, landlord etc. Having these small wattage tube amps available works for someone like me (bedroom player.) Don't look down your nose at us amateur 'rockers' because we can't stand in front of a wall of amps. These small amps work for us (me.)
                              Guitars:
                              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                              1988 Model 2,
                              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                              RR3
                              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                              2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                                Best Marshall heads I've ever owned (had a shitload)..Ran two full STACKS in stereo..in the bedroom at 3--4--5 AM

BTW: everyone..Hain Gain amps sound great in the bedroom anwhoo..preamp gain..duh!

Then you have a great bedroom amp that you could play at the Coliseum without a PA!

small amps..sound ..small..

DUH...
                                Yeh I own the 50W version and play at home, at all hours, through two Marshall greenback cabs, all the time and it just kills. I must have cool neighbors because I turn up pretty loud and never had a complaint.

Comment

Working...
                                X