Mini Amp Craze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Amp Craze

Without going into too many details or to prompt bashing... I would like to state for the JCF record that I am not a fan of mini amp heads. Mini recto's, mini this.... mini that.. jeez. Give me a friggin break and get a full size amp and stop being such a pussy.
    Do you realize how friggin stupid it looks having a tiny mini amp head on a full size cabinet? I'll tell you.. it looks friggin stupid. Being able to carry your live rig to the show in your backpack is nothing to brag about or be proud of.
    There.... take that suckas.
    Peace out.
    Randall RM100 head that weights 90lbs in the house with a friggin heavy Marshall 1960B cab. It may be heavy and a pain in the ass for my roadies to carry but it sure looks good on stage.

Crap, I play a Mesa Transatlantic into a 1x12 Thiele cab. Does this mean I can't try out for Manowar??

Comment

For a semi pro who records at home or plays small club gigs, mini amps are a good choice. I see your point about small heads looking bad on a cab, but a 100w amp at a pub is just overkill.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

You'll need furry britches or a loincloth to try out for Manowar.

As for the 'mini amp craze' it's more marketing than anything. I'm guilty of it. Went the mini amp route about 4 or 5 years ago. It's good if you need to push tubes to their limits but don't want to shake the entire building. If you live in an apartment it's hard to jam out full-tilt on a half-stack. I used to have an 8space 'rack of doom' and 2 2x12 cabs just in the apartment. Then for gigs it was that rig plus another cab (4x12). When you're playing in clubs and you need to off-load your gear for the next band. And then load it into a truck/van and then back into it's original 'home' at like 2am; those Kidney-bean Pods start to look even better and better. You wish you could just sling a backpack over your should and be done with it.
        Last edited by GuerillaPete; 10-21-2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          Without going into too many details or to prompt bashing... I would like to state for the JCF record that I am not a fan of mini amp heads. Mini recto's, mini this.... mini that.. jeez. Give me a friggin break and get a full size amp and stop being such a pussy.
          Do you realize how friggin stupid it looks having a tiny mini amp head on a full size cabinet? I'll tell you.. it looks friggin stupid. Being able to carry your live rig to the show in your backpack is nothing to brag about or be proud of.
          There.... take that suckas.
          Peace out.
          Randall RM100 head that weights 90lbs in the house with a friggin heavy Marshall 1960B cab. It may be heavy and a pain in the ass for my roadies to carry but it sure looks good on stage.
          Whats a roadie? I dont have these.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
            For a semi pro who records at home or plays small club gigs, mini amps are a good choice. I see your point about small heads looking bad on a cab, but a 100w amp at a pub is just overkill.
            And thats what youre there for, rip their freekin heads off and bust their ear drums, and put the drummer in his place.
            HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

You mean mini amps arent cool? did I miss the memo???
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                You mean mini amps arent cool? did I miss the memo???
                They are. Especially the ones with the "blues rock chatter" mod done to them.

Comment

Originally posted by GuerillaPete View Post
                  They are. Especially the ones with the "blues rock chatter" mod done to them.
                  I want one.

now.

RIGHT now.

Comment

wait a minute.......

so my new VHT special 6 ultra is a nerd amp????

Comment

I...uh....well...nevermind.

OK I'll say it.
                      Started my builds back in early '08 before it was cool to have them.
                      There were Epi Jrs and so forth but nothing that would deliver high gain
                      and good tone at low volume.
                      Not to say I was the first...not at all.

But through the journey I learned how to do it and most of these low
                      watt amps are using a similar recipe with each other which is their downfall.

That's all I'll say!
                      Last edited by Cygnus X1; 10-21-2011, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        Crap, I play a Mesa Transatlantic into a 1x12 Thiele cab. Does this mean I can't try out for Manowar??
                        that's a neat little amp!
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

i totally disagree, john. the mini amps have their place. i, too, use a massive rig onstage - a 120 watt wet/dry rig with multiple cabs - but greatly enjoy using my egnater tweaker at home. i also have (2) 100 watt amps at home, but using the little one gets me more saturation easier the get a killer sound at a better volume. the tone stays "truer" than if i used an attenuator with a 100 watt amp.
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            that's a neat little amp!
                            Thanks, yeah I really enjoy playing it.

Presto chango, we got us another lunchbox amp fanboy thread going. Woohoo!

Comment

After all, playing music is all about having an attractive amp/cap setup on stage. Music simply isn't music without it. Well, that and blues chatter.

Comment

Working...
                              X