No announcement yet.

Anyone play in a blues (based) band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that is a great story. Some rapper in a vending machine.
    Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

didn't B,T&H offered you a gig Bill?
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy B View Post
        Now that is a great story. Some rapper in a vending machine.
        If I ever write a book..that will definitely be included..with much more adjectives I can not use here..

If you like Rap..go for it..I can't unerstand why a white boy would..inless yiou could realte to that shit..and if you can realte to that shit..trust me, we can't be bros..

I can't relate to a whiner parasite blaming evryone but themselve about "their struggle"..

I wrote two songs one called "Scapegoat", I posted the demo..that was about me..

one called "Inherit the Weak"..that was about them..

I'm sure any "Rapper" can't relate to my music..let them hear it..lets' see if they like it..
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

in all actuality not all rap is crap, too many flavors of it. Sure I don't understand a lot of it but I'm open minded...some of the stuff I hear has cool grooves and cool backround vocal melodies so I know they have some musical elements to it.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
            didn't B,T&H offered you a gig Bill?

YES,..while I was recording in next room doing that VH demo..they heard me slappin' away on the bass and asked if I was interested..luckily it wasn't "lazy" ..his head could've been into the mixing board...that wouldn't be good..it was "Bizzy" bone ..he popped his head and asked if I would lay down some slap for them..I politely declined and said "thanks"..weird..

while I was typing this one of my old partners just called me..and they guys want me stop by the airport and catch up..that was nice..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

well, rappers recognize talent, they wanted you Bill,

I've seen a rap band wich featured a killer rhythm section, awsome drummer and a bass player, I was blown away,

don't care about all that gangsta shit either but I love grooves so I don't hate it.
              "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                in all actuality not all rap is crap, too many flavors of it. Sure I don't understand a lot of it but I'm open minded...some of the stuff I hear has cool grooves and cool backround vocal melodies so I know they have some musical elements to it.
                I agree..there must be "good" rap..just like anything else..there is good and bad..that's abundant in metal..or any style of music..

but, I have no interest or use for it..personally...I had to hear that shit constantly when I was workin'..it sounds all the same to me..like nails on a chalkboard..but country music sucks in my book too..so there ya go..

different strokes for different folks..agreed

I was born a metalhead..I will die a metalhead..

Comment

I did love fusion and jazz when I played bass tho..I did that well on bass

I'm a "metal" guitarist..

that's weird too..

Not really, metal is a challenge on guitar..fusion is a challenge on bass..I guess that's the connection..

Comment

a friend of mine who is a sick ass bass player and has the same influences as you Bill....Levin, Wooten etc. and plays the same stuff, funk, fusion, jazz etc. loves to listen to rap, he gets new groove ideas from it. But he isn't a metal guitarist like you so I guess that's why he loves the 80's stuff like VH, Ratt and Dokken though.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                      a friend of mine who is a sick ass bass player and has the same influences as you Bill....Levin, Wooten etc. and plays the same stuff, funk, fusion, jazz etc. loves to listen to rap, he gets new groove ideas from it. But he isn't a metal guitarist like you so I guess that's why he loves the 80's stuff like VH, Ratt and Dokken though.
                      E is we were talking in '93 me and your dude would have the excatly same tatse..to the T..

John turned me onto Candlemass/King Diamond..well I always knew about KD ..but could not take those vocals..it grew on me because the music/playing is so good..

Then my other friend turned me onto Coroner..and that was the beginning of my "harder" tatse for music..it was Cornoer that grabbed my attention and made me want to take it up a notch..especially Mental, vortex, no more color, and grin..that was my first .."death metal" influence..

Then a year later he introduced me to Jeff and Nevermore and that was it..by that time I was oredring $100 worth of metal every month thru Century Media and trying every metal band I could..I found some amazing bands and pure crap along the way..

this is long before I had a PC..you couldn't sample music..I just took a chance on the description in the mail order catalog..I spent so much money on crap back then..just chancing it..because I liked the name of the band or artwork..

That was kind of fun..because when you got, opened and put it on..it was like a surprise..I miss that in a way..when I put on Iced Earth for the first time..I was like oh fuck this is good..nobody knows about these guys, yeahhhhhhh..then I put on the next shrink- wrapped cd..like ummmmm..like Sacriversum and go...oh man, I don't like this shit..it was like I balled up 12 bucks and threw it out the window..and that could happend 2-4 times a order..

I HATED death vox.."Cookie monster" vocals around '94..I mean that..It was Coroner that did it..for one they're a three piece..TT Baron is amazing in tone and playing, and the drums kill..the singer plass bass and fronts the band and can SMOKE me at some things..so they got my respect quick..that song I'm working on "Inherit the Weak"..is blatantly inspired by Coroner..I wrote the main riff when I just diascovered them..

One thing about bluses..if it wasn't for blues..no metal would exist..and I'm thankful for that.. and the blues is an art in itself..with much feel and talent..and I always appreciate talent..

As far as Rap..I just don't like the "culture" that comes with it..it strokes my fur the wrong way..and I'm sure my music would do the same for them..so it's mutual..we both have our place..and that's the way it is..

Comment

Check out the vids of Marty and Jason jamming to the blues on youtube sometime.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I would never imagine my friend gettin' into death metal He just likes to slap and shit btw. he does it like wooten, double thumbing technique.
                          Just saw him play with jazz trio, did a lot of tapping and 8-finger stuff. We are planning to form a band.

I guess he wouldn't get into really heavy stuff because he isn't angry dude who beat's the shit out of gangstas in the ghetto. he's just from a very boring town where his frieds are making fun of him because he ate hookers pussy

But the truth is that white men stole everything from the black dudes. The blues, funk slapping, rock'n'roll, rap, gangsta attitude etc. I guess you can't have good things without the bad stuff

Comment

E.."But the truth is that white men stole everything from the black dudes. The blues, funk slapping, rock'n'roll, rap, gangsta attitude etc. I guess you can't have good things without the bad stuff "

This is VERY true..but my MY people (dagos) invented the ganster stuff..the Mafia..my dad was connected..I grew up in this atmosphere..so my father instilled in me this distrust in people long before I was a cop..we both did the same kind of things but on different sides of the fence..

When I became a cop ..all my dad's advice and words were 100% confirmed..he's VERY street smart, just like me..but in my own way..

I drew streets smarts from both wells..with my last name..my dad was convinced I would never be a cop..because of my last name..it's well known locally..and not in a good way..

OK I gotta bail..just like rappers I have much "angst" but they're positive and I am negative..like trying to put the sames sides of two magnet together..it'll never happen..that's just life.

you NEED that..it's balance..Ironically, I need them and they need me..
                            Last edited by horns666; 10-17-2006, 09:39 PM. Reason: I F'd up..

Comment

OK then, I'll have the band do Rap, but only if Bill will be our sound guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                                OK then, I'll have the band do Rap, but only if Bill will be our sound guy.
                                :ROTF:

have fun
                                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                                X