Anyone play in a blues (based) band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone play in a blues (based) band?

Some of you may recall my previous stories about my crappy band. We're trying to do all kinds of stuff, mostly in the "classic rock" vein, but failing miserably at a lot of it. I'm thinking about simply suggesting we switch to all blues-based stuff. Why? Well, it's pretty damn easy. Blues beats seem to be one thing our drummer can actually handle. And if you sing blues a little out of tune, well, you can just call it "character." On the other hand it could get a bit boring. But maybe a little boredom is better than the constant frustration I get when my bandmates can't seem to learn the simplest damn songs... I've been helping our drummer learn "Heartbreaker" for the past three weeks and he's still not anywhere close.

i dunno dude. if you guys cant do classic rock I doubt you can do blues any justice. Stick to what you believe in, if the other members aren't up to the challange...find someone else to play with. If blues are your bag and you enjoy it then by all means go for it...

I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't change just for the sake of simplicity. I'd stick to my guns and do what is meaningful to me and doing all blues just isnt apppealing at all to me.
    shawnlutz.com

Comment

If you think the blues are simple then you aren't doing it right.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

the blues are simple...simplest form of music known to mankind, at least from a technical standpoint. To do the Blues right you have to an excellent feel it or it will never work. Jimi, SRV, Buddy Guy, BB King etc all do it well and play from the heart. Having said that for me as a player 95% of blues based stuff is predictable and that gets boring to me after about 3-4 songs...
        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I think if you are looking at switching to the blues because you think it is easier, then all you will make is simple blues, and lord knows there isn't any of that around. I say give it a shot anyways. Ya never know what might be your nitch.

Comment

For me, a blues band that is anything less-than-excellent sounds pretty bad. It's such a simple musical form that there is nothing to hide behind. It demands that the performers let it all hang out emotionally (not necessarily technique wise). You gots to have the feel and the vibe or it just is kind of sounds bleh.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
              the blues are simple...simplest form of music known to mankind, at least from a technical standpoint. To do the Blues right you have to an excellent feel it or it will never work. Jimi, SRV, Buddy Guy, BB King etc all do it well and play from the heart. Having said that for me as a player 95% of blues based stuff is predictable and that gets boring to me after about 3-4 songs...
              It can be predictable if the player is your typical rock guy who just plays a minor pentatonic with the occasional major third. A great blues man will throw in all sorts of unexpected stuff. All forms of music suffer from this really. When was the last time Yngwie put out something that wasn't predictable? Or Brooks and Dunn? That's not to say that Shred and/or Country don't have potential to create exciting music - it just requires the right nuts behind the wheel.

I think the techniques involved to play the blues right are far more difficult than you are asserting. Again, what the typical rock guy plays for blues is pretty simple to pull of technically. But trying to play old BB King, Buddy Guy, etc. and any of those old acoustic blues players is hard. And some of those guys play pretty fucking fast and it ain't just pentatonic noodling in E. A lot of guys integrated techniques from country, classical and jazz players. It's a great fusion of techniques. I learned a long time ago that just because something sounds easy to play doesn't mean it actually is.

BTW, the simplest form of music known to mankind is pop music. It's so simple that they don't even need real people to actually play and sing the music. Any art form that can be so easily mimicked by a machine is easy. I defy you to get a machine or your average pop star to play the blues.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                It can be predictable if the player is your typical rock guy who just plays a minor pentatonic with the occasional major third. A great blues man will throw in all sorts of unexpected stuff. All forms of music suffer from this really. When was the last time Yngwie put out something that wasn't predictable? Or Brooks and Dunn? That's not to say that Shred and/or Country don't have potential to create exciting music - it just requires the right nuts behind the wheel.

I think the techniques involved to play the blues right are far more difficult than you are asserting. Again, what the typical rock guy plays for blues is pretty simple to pull of technically. But trying to play old BB King, Buddy Guy, etc. and any of those old acoustic blues players is hard. And some of those guys play pretty fucking fast and it ain't just pentatonic noodling in E. A lot of guys integrated techniques from country, classical and jazz players. It's a great fusion of techniques. I learned a long time ago that just because something sounds easy to play doesn't mean it actually is.

BTW, the simplest form of music known to mankind is pop music. It's so simple that they don't even need real people to actually play and sing the music. Any art form that can be so easily mimicked by a machine is easy. I defy you to get a machine or your average pop star to play the blues.

Just opinions Tim, no right or wrong here.

It's (blues) predictable to me and always has been...sure there are some outside the box notes (pun intended) that can keep you on your toes but the progression will always require you to come back or you'll lose the glue of the tune.

Fast playing doesn't always equate to being difficult to play...regardless of style of music.

The Blues to me is boring after a while just as rock & fusion can be. Classical music is how I normally roll most of the time. Pentatonics just don't do it for me at all unless its jazzy & tastey ala Larry Carlton but thats more jazz than straight ahead blues.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

I agree Tim, a lot of blues based guitar is definitely not simple, but a lot of the overall song structures are. I have frequented open blues jams in the past and while I'm no blues hot shot, I can certainly do it justice. I think it's easier for a *band* to play blues because the focus with blues is typically on one instrument (usually guitar) or the singer, and doesn't really require a super-tight band to pull off. Sure it requires a talented group to do it really well, but doing anything really well is pretty much an unrealistic goal for us. This is something I've come to accept, and am fine with as long as I'm enjoying it more than playing by myself! Finding another band is an attractive option but maybe not realistic. There are not too many compatible musicians with practice space in my area. I do keep my eyes & ears open though.

Comment

blues can be very simple, it depends what kind of blues you play but it's very wrong to say that the blues is easy......it isn't .....and not only from the guitar player's point of view. Blues drumming needs a lot of groove and dynamics. My friend who is a monster drummer and can play in every style actually loves to play blues the most. SRV rhythm section - monster players, ZZ Top - same thing, just listen to Rhythmeen, monster grooves and a lot of fills. Modern and alternative blues is so advanced, it's insane. A lot of those drummers are heavy handed, lightning fast and can use double bass. A good example would be Eric Sardinas band, guitar, bass and drum parts are anything but easy.
                    Last edited by Endrik; 10-17-2006, 06:33 AM.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      that's a bad generalisation, there are so many types of pop, just like in rock or metal or jazz. Nashville pop musicians can kick most of the rocker's ass that it's not even funny. 80's funk pop, pop-jazz etc. same thing.
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                        that's a bad generalisation, there are so many types of pop, just like in rock or metal or jazz. Nashville pop musicians can kick most of the rocker's ass that it's not even funny. 80's funk pop, pop-jazz etc. same thing.
                        And despite these stellar abilities they create torturous sounds. It doesn't matter how good the players are (and yes I know about them) if they are compelled by $$$ to create drivel.

And when I say pop, you know what I mean - you're splitting hairs. Every sub-genre of pop has that absolute pure crap that rises to the top - this includes pop-rock, country pop, soda pop, funk pop, and pop pop. The Creme de la Crap. It is what is on popular radio all day. The people that hold the microphone and sing along to the music are on the covers of tabloids in supermarkets. Bad pop jazz is the worst of all pop forms because t is extra pretentious.

- Newc

Comment

Just opinions Tim, no right or wrong here.
                          Actually, you're wrong :ROTF:

It's (blues) predictable to me and always has been...sure there are some outside the box notes (pun intended) that can keep you on your toes but the progression will always require you to come back or you'll lose the glue of the tune.
                          What progression? The I IV V stuff? There is tons of blues that doesn't follow that pattern. Just like not all of Yngwie's songs are in E minor. Whoops, my bad. They are all in E minor.

Fast playing doesn't always equate to being difficult to play...regardless of style of music.
                          But really fast is always difficult to play

The Blues to me is boring after a while just as rock & fusion can be. Classical music is how I normally roll most of the time. Pentatonics just don't do it for me at all unless its jazzy & tastey ala Larry Carlton but thats more jazz than straight ahead blues.
                          Anything gets boring to me pretty quick. I can't listen to any style of music for too long. Variety is what it's all about.

I really have hard time listening to extended music solos of any kind where players noodle over the same changes forever - this applies to the blues, a LOT of jazz, Yngwie, Satriani, Green Grass and High Tides, etc. That sort of thing bores me to tears.

I sometimes wonder if jazz folks are ever going to realize that none of us ever wants to hear an upright bass player take an out of tune thwappy ass solo again. Oh, and what's up with those sissy brushes that the jazz drummers use?

- Newc

Comment

To inject something else into this foray....

I totally disagree that blues is a "simple" art form...for this reason.

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn play live in 88', and I assure you his music and playing are anything BUT simple.

SRV had as much speed, finesse, and technique as ANY rock/pop star...and to think he did this on a Strat with 013's and high action is humbling...he had to have crushed hands when he shook them.

Yes, blues may be simplistic in its I IV V form, but that is NOT all the blues follows....and there are many examples of this.

Comment

Originally posted by LesPaulCustom View Post
                              To inject something else into this foray....

I totally disagree that blues is a "simple" art form...for this reason.

I had the distinct pleasure of seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn play live in 88', and I assure you his music and playing are anything BUT simple.

SRV had as much speed, finesse, and technique as ANY rock/pop star...and to think he did this on a Strat with 013's and high action is humbling...he had to have crushed hands when he shook them.

Yes, blues may be simplistic in its I IV V form, but that is NOT all the blues follows....and there are many examples of this.
                              I disagree ..and SRV' stuff isn't that difficult to play in terms of technique goes but that doesn't mean that its not bad ass stuff. Some of hte coolest tings in music to me are simple...

Blues is simple music in my opinion and is easier for me to play.

Blues is all the same to me....and no not just I, IV, V progressions either...that a silly statment.

Just because something is difficult to play for one doesn't mean its difficult to play for everyone.

I htink the point that this thread is getting to is the age old shredder vs blues guy and I don't want to go there.

To the original poster...do what you feel is best for yourself as a musician and what is best for the band members development
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X