No announcement yet.

That Metal Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem with the show is they claim to represent all things hard rock and heavy metal but rarely (Actually unless it's slayer, never) do they have anyone from death metal bands from that period. So basically it's everything hard rock and metal except for music from bands Trunk doesn't like. They tried to pawn it off as "Well those bands didn't have videos on MTV" and sadly for Trunk he's not the only one with a memory, a lot of those bands did. Headbangers ball wasn't all Winger and Poison. The two comedians are both black metal fans and the one guy (the one with out the fruity beard/side burns) often wheres a Ghost T-shirt and promotes them. So that's at least something, but you can tell it's Trunk who keeps that stuff to the minimum. But since his favorite band is UFO his opinion of metal is hardly one that impresses me. UFO is alright and all but honestly I'd be more interested in a 15 year old who's favorite album is Reload over Trunk's opinion of anything.

They do get some interesting guests on there, Traci Guns (Not sure if that is the spelling) was pretty fun to listen to on there. For a retro metal show it's alright. at least it letting people know that the genre is still alive.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Oh man...talk about random shit in a small world. Let, me explain, I grab old guitar and metal mags to look at while I'm taking a dump. No big whoop..many people do. But I grabbed a very old BW & BK issue 64, with In Falmes on the cover. As soon as I squeez out a poip or two,,the book unfolds to page 21. In the "Rock in a hard place" section. The very top in bold print says "WINGER"..I was just reading this so...I read on. I hate to do this because it involves reading and typing. No I can't find it anywhere..so here goes.

WINGER "The worst name in rock?!"

TotalRock posted a funny interview with WINGER guitarist Reb Beach recently about the tarnished Winger name. "It's no secret that Winger has had the worst name in rock for the last ten years. All the people that I meet, especially muscians, have only great things to say about Winger. I was in Dokken for four years. Do you know how many times I heard "man, it's so cool you're in Dokken because Kip Winger was a fag dude. That band was so gay" You know they only know "seventeen",and "Miles Away". The thing that I love is I've never seen a guitar player, with the exception of Andy Timmons do it correctly. It definitely has a great groove. I've always had that lick, and Kip's the one that told me it was a song. On Beavis and Butthead, that kid in the Winger shirt is in almost every episode. Metallica, in their biggest video they ever had, showed throwing darts at Kip Winger - and they showed it in their live show. You know, 50,000 people every night laughed when they say it".

This mag is prolly about 10 years old. With that said..Yes, "Pull" is a great record IMO! It is the only Winger CD I still have in my collection. I weed thru it constantly to make room for my constant flow of new music...it's still there.

I have much to say about metal of course. But, I don't think I can say what I've already said. But by doing a quick search ALL my predictions and statements were 100% true. Especially at the time MS,YT, FB..ect and all this interweb bullshit. When NU...was still new. I can name names, but those members are long gone. Prolly because they don't want to hear...I told ya...s.....

Trends are trends. If it smells like a trend, looks like a trend, and seems in fashion. ...arrrgggggggg don't get me started on fashion! "Style","True", "Good", ..adjectives..ect..are not subjective. Good music is timeless. ALL Trends go bad like sour milk.

Two things.. In 2002, Guitar Hero and Lamb Of God was the spark! These are facts.

My kid..he refuses to listen to any or buy cds. Well, why shouyld he. I did/do all the leg work to his future favorite music. Even if he doesn't know it yet. He likes Last.FM while playing XBox. That's what he does for a livin'. OH BTW Vinny is a vicariously knowing 17 yr old kid that "fits in". ALL his msucian friend LOVE bands that are cutting edge. Basically sound-a-like, cookie-cutter trend..that go belly up in a year or two. They all have peircing, the girls have the same Justin Beiber hair-style and paint their nails black. They wear old re-issued metal band shirts they never listened to. If you "fit in" this crap..you truly suck balls.

Well, your trendy taste does. You'll find out. The last generation looked and acted like african-americans. There is stragglers that didn't get the memo..you know.

I call the new scene "Bitch Metal"..Boy bands that scream about some kind of pain, and shop at Hot Topic.
      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        I thought that was what KISS was for....

I guess I'm lucky in never feeling constrained by musical categorisations. My balls don't get any bigger because I've convinced you guys that I listen to the heaviest or fastest or darkest or meanest or angriest metal. Or KISS. Maybe to you guys I do, but I've never perceived that I lose any street cred by listening to stuff that is NOT Metal. If it's good music, it's good music. Most of my collection is metal, of all shades. Still plenty of room for jazz & blues & rock & pop & all kinds of variations in between. My last trip to the music store I picked up the new Lamb of God, John Legend and the Roots (replacement - the wife lost my last copy), Michael Spiby (acoustic album by lead singer of the Badloves), Raphael Saadiq. All good music, whether it's to your taste or not.
        I didn't say they weren't good, I said they weren't Metal.

Categorizations become important when you start mentioning names within that category. If someone says "here, listen to this band, they're pretty good" and puts on Winger, ok fine. If someone says "here, listen to this Metal band, they're pretty good" and puts on Winger, I'm going to point out that it's not Metal. It's good for what it is, but it is not Metal.

And hoorah for you and your expanded-horizon music collection. As if you're the only one to ever have one. I don't listen strictly to one genre. I never have. While I may own only Jackson guitars, I do in fact listen to very few bands that ever played a Jackson. Megadeth is the only one I can think of offhand. I have no Anthrax, no Def Leppard, and no Lamb Of God. Probably less than 1/3rd of my collection is Metal of any variety.

The largest portion of that is Judas Priest (Stained Class through Painkiller), Iron Maiden (first through Powerslave), Black Sabbath (all Ozzy and The Dio Years), Megadeth (Killing to Abominations), and Metallica (Kill through Black, then Death Magnetic, which I am reluctant to admit). The rest is Classical, Hard Rock, Blues, Johnny Cash, Big Band swing, and Classic Rock. I've got the complete Les Paul/Mary Ford set as well. Most importantly, I listen to all of it, both as a fan and a student of the styles.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Bitch metal. that would be defined as a mixture of iron and carbon that can be made into swords that chicks can use in Dio videos.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Winger is the Nickleback of the 80s.
            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

i saw winger live after they released "winger IV" (or whatever it was called). i was AMAZED at how heavy they were. the songs came across as much more muscular - even the cheesey ones!! after that, my band had the opportunity to open for them. i was actually pretty excited because that show i went to was PACKED!!! then it got cancelled because winger had a scheduling conflict....we opened for vains of jenna instead.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                While I may own only Jackson guitars,
                Whoa, your collection is 100% Jackson? Interesting factoid!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You know, I think Mike Judge really got it right when he called out Winger. There was just something...uncouth...about those videos. Yeah yeah they had makeup on and big hair...but Poison had twice as much makeup and hair twice as big. With Poison, you just got the feeling that these were a bunch of average lucky guys drinking beer, not taking it too seriously, and having nuthin' but a good time. But with Kip Winger, his pandering just seemed so...fabricated. The 5 o'clock shadow, the pirouette after each riff played, the shirt meticulously cut up to look random...bah! It sticks out as bad as Mitt Romney dressing down in blue jeans every time he visits a metal fabrication shop.

Comment

Mitt slummin' in in a tool shop. He's a tool..and forgets to dye that cotton by his ears.. Tool and Dye...get it?? Ahhhh fuggums.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
                      Winger is the Nickleback of the 80s.
                      Winger wishes.
                      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Whoa, your collection is 100% Jackson? Interesting factoid!
                        Well, 99% anyway. I do have a Bossa OB-5 bass, a Vantage FV575 flying v, and 3 acoustics, but the other 20+ are Jacksons.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I didn't say they weren't good, I said they weren't Metal.
                          I never suggested you did otherwise.

Categorizations become important when you start mentioning names within that category. If someone says "here, listen to this band, they're pretty good" and puts on Winger, ok fine. If someone says "here, listen to this Metal band, they're pretty good" and puts on Winger, I'm going to point out that it's not Metal. It's good for what it is, but it is not Metal.
                          Metal has such a broad definition today, why are they not considered metal? They tick plenty of the required boxes. Plenty of mellower bands in the metal section at the store these days, atmospheric bands like The Gathering, Therion, Doom Metal bands, etc
                          And hoorah for you and your expanded-horizon music collection.
                          and congratulation on yours....

As if you're the only one to ever have one.
                          I don't? You mean, other people here listen to more than just metal? When folks here have talked about loving SRV or Django Reinhardt or John Coltrane or CCR, I thought they were being ironic. Now I don't feel so unique. Mummy always told me I was special, but now I'm not so sure.

I don't listen strictly to one genre. I never have. While I may own only Jackson guitars, I do in fact listen to very few bands that ever played a Jackson. Megadeth is the only one I can think of offhand. I have no Anthrax, no Def Leppard, and no Lamb Of God. Probably less than 1/3rd of my collection is Metal of any variety.

The largest portion of that is Judas Priest (Stained Class through Painkiller), Iron Maiden (first through Powerslave), Black Sabbath (all Ozzy and The Dio Years), Megadeth (Killing to Abominations), and Metallica (Kill through Black, then Death Magnetic, which I am reluctant to admit). The rest is Classical, Hard Rock, Blues, Johnny Cash, Big Band swing, and Classic Rock. I've got the complete Les Paul/Mary Ford set as well. Most importantly, I listen to all of it, both as a fan and a student of the styles.
                          See, that's where you beat me out. I don't actually listen to any of mine. I only buy all that stuff so that I can get into pissing contests on the internet.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

I actually have cds still in the wrapper from 2005. Dark Moor and Eldritch come immediately to mind. Fuggit, I'm going to open them right now. They're going to be classics for christsake!

Who?..exactly.

Comment

Is this a bad time to mention I really like Duran Duran?

Yes? No?

k, bye
                              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                                You know, I think Mike Judge really got it right when he called out Winger. There was just something...uncouth...about those videos. Yeah yeah they had makeup on and big hair...but Poison had twice as much makeup and hair twice as big. With Poison, you just got the feeling that these were a bunch of average lucky guys drinking beer, not taking it too seriously, and having nuthin' but a good time. But with Kip Winger, his pandering just seemed so...fabricated. The 5 o'clock shadow, the pirouette after each riff played, the shirt meticulously cut up to look random...bah! It sticks out as bad as Mitt Romney dressing down in blue jeans every time he visits a metal fabrication shop.
                                sounds like your describing Miami Vice.
                                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                                X