No announcement yet.

That Metal Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a fucking TV show for Christ's sake. If you don't like the hosts, don't watch it. Watch one of the other metal shows.....oh wait...

Comment

I liked Uranium, mostly cause the bitch was hot.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

It's an amusing show sometimes, but it's just a show. My main problem was, at least when it was a 30 minute show, they spent too little time with the musicians and too much time doing their schtick (Stump the Trunk, Top 5 Lists, etc.). I don't know if that's changed too much, I haven't really watched it in awhile.

Comment

1. It's entertainment. It's not a right or wrong thing. You either enjoy it or you don't.

2. Metal has lots of different branches, and not all of them are heavy. Winger definitely falls into the glam, pop, or hair category that paid the bills for MTV for so many years.

Comment

Axe, if I meant it personal I would have said a name. Until I do, don't take stuff so personal. As for me "defending" things, at times I do like to take a stance opposite of where others stand to have a different point of view or because it's my way of thinking. I'm scared to be biased or different? Not hardly. If I happen not to agree with someone, or even if I do agree with them, what's wrong with either one? Are we all required to think alike or just the opposite, required to all think something other than the popular way of thinking? As far as opinions go, we all have ours and no, we don't always agree. So what? Who cares? A person having their own opinion is what makes us individuals and is a part of free thinking. Btw, one of the bad things about text is often times things are misunderstood because in many ways, text just doesn't convey emotion or feeling the way voice does. I'm not riled. I just happen to be one that does like the show.
            In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Oh no no no, don't misunderstand. I know you weren't referring to me, I was merely saying that I fit the bill (no, not you HORNS!)

And to be honest, my first paragraph was just a poke at ya, sorta
              "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

No offense taken and you are right that at times I do take things a lil too much to heart. I'm working on that. Btw, I STILL like the show.
                In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

It's not that bad. It's not that great either. They use alot of "New Jersey" humor and inside jokes, which may not translate unless you are from that area. I remember listening to Eddie Trunk's WDHA radio show when I was in high school and it was a great way to find out about music I never heard before.

I'm pretty sure that Eddie will admit he's just a super fan that was in the right place at the right time back in the 80's and has stayed involved with the scene ever since. His strength is that he's always acted as a super fan in all of his interviews over the years and has built up relationships with the bands. They know he won't really drill them on anything they don't want to talk about.

They've also admitted on the show that the name "That Metal Show" is sort of misleading because they are on VH1 Classic and Eddie never shuts up about his love for UFO and other bands that are vaguely metal.

I still watch it because it's amusing more than anything. I pretty much know the story of any guest on there, but it's fun to see anyway. You've got to take the Stump the Trunk bit with a grain of salt...it's not like it's supposed to be serious. I do wish they'd drop the stupid Top 5 list though. It's always a waste of time.

Oh yeah, and nothing wrong with looking at "Miss Box of Junk"

Comment

I like the show, I watch the show...Eddie does drone on waaaaay too much, but he knows his shit. Those other two really have no business being there IMO

Comment

It's the whole thing about his opinion being the most important that bothers me the most. Granted it is the only show on TV that deals with Metal in any form, but they need to drop the Top 5 list and Stump the Drunk and focus strictly on interviewing people who matter in Metal. That excludes Andrew Clay.

And no, Winger are not Metal. Yes, he's got a good voice, and he could sing in a Metal context, and Reb Beach is a technically proficient guitarist. George Benson is a technically proficient guitarist, too, doesn't make him Metal. Distortion and a Floyd doesn't make anyone Metal. There was distortion and Floyds in Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The singer also had a good voice with a tone that could have suited Metal; does it make them Metal? No.

On the upside, they did show Megadeth's No More Mr Nice Guy video which featured a Jackson KV with H-S-S layout, and then showed WASP's Wild Child video (even though they cut out half the solo) so there was some nice Harley Star action. And bad 80's hair and posing. And I totally forgot the drummer always sat perfectly upright when he played

They also seem a bit hung up on Krokus. I've seen Ballroom Blitz a couple of times already. They had others which were better. Still haven't seen any Accept or Y&T, and they only have one Judas Priest video.
                      And they showed Anthrax's Got The Time, which is an interesting thing to watch in this post-9/11 age.

While I'm glad there's at least one channel linked to a "major network" showing Metal - sure beats "Behind The Music: Some Rapper That Just Came Out" - it's still just a bit contrived and "safe" IMO.

But they do seem a bit anxious to jump right into the 80's Synth Pop videos as soon as the Metal Block is over.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
                        They've also admitted on the show that the name "That Metal Show" is sort of misleading because they are on VH1 Classic and Eddie never shuts up about his love for UFO and other bands that are vaguely metal.
                        At least it’s a show about the genre of music I like. In the late 80/90s the Headbanger’s Ball on MTV was riddled with hair metal and pop-like vids that I never liked, but I still watched it cos it was the only possible time I could ever see any Slayer vids and the like. TMS ain’t perfect but at least it’s something, though it’s no good for knowing about new bands since they said themselves that because they’re on VH1 Classic, they can only have bands on that were popular back then.

I could without their corny segments and just have more guests on. Since they moved to a full hour, I think there is more time spent on the guests..although they also spend more time with there top 5 picks, though I do like the fact they added guest guitarist/bassists to the mix.

It’s funny, my friend who knows only a little about metal sees this show and thinks it was an old show shot 20 years ago. He doesn’t believe me that it’s a brand new show until I show the info button on the TV. I guess it’s the set and how everyone’s dressed.

Is that chick Juliya still have a show on Uranium or whatever it changed into? I used to watch that up until 5 or so years ago and it was pretty good showcasing newer bands. I think that’s how I first heard of Lamb of God and Killswitch. BTW, I saw her at a show in NYC a couple weeks back and she still has got it!
                        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          I Distortion and a Floyd doesn't make anyone Metal.
                          Well there goes any chance I had.
                          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            And no, Winger are not Metal. Yes, he's got a good voice, and he could sing in a Metal context, and Reb Beach is a technically proficient guitarist. George Benson is a technically proficient guitarist, too, doesn't make him Metal. Distortion and a Floyd doesn't make anyone Metal. There was distortion and Floyds in Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The singer also had a good voice with a tone that could have suited Metal; does it make them Metal? No.
                            I am curious as to
                            a>what is your definition of metal?
                            b>if you would not classify Winger as metal, where do you put them in the music store?

I think most would agree that Quiet Riot and Motley Crue were metal. The whole hair band scene that followed were derivatives. Sure, as time went on it became more polished and less aggressive. However, bands like White Lion, Warrant, and Poison can all draw a direct line to bands like Quiet Riot, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, and Ratt. I do confess that Winger is the most extreme of the pop metal bands, and are almost a Phil Collins album. But they are a member of the metal family tree nonetheless. I will also sheepishly agree that perhaps it is not a coincidence that grunge became popular shortly after metal evolved (or devolved depending on your opinion) into these pop variants. Maybe music needed to get its balls back.

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                              I am curious as to
                              a>what is your definition of metal?
                              Metal is a substance comprised of iron and carbon that is used to make swords that you can use as props in a Dio video. that is Metal.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                                Metal is a substance comprised of iron and carbon that is used to make swords that you can use as props in a Dio video. that is Metal.

Finally, a definition of metal that everyone can agree on!

Comment

Working...
                                X