No announcement yet.

What's Your Favorite Pick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to use a dremel drill press with a .5mm bit to drill out a bunch of holes on picks for better grip. Now I just use the incredible power of my brick like fists to hold the pick in a monster grip.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
      If Ive ever gotten annoyed with the fact that tortex gets slippery when wet,
      Yup same problem especially when my fat sausage fingers get all sweaty.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      I used to do the razor blade thing when I used the blue 1.0mm Tortex picks years ago. Read an article where Dimebag said he used to do that to his picks. It worked pretty well.
      I would use whatever was sharp at the moment... Before I could easily get my hands on new ones I had some pretty horrendous looking cut up picks...
      sigpic
      Action Jackson

Comment

I like the Dunlop Jazztone and Primetone Large Pointed tips. Lately, I've discovered Wegen Gypsy Jazz picks which I am digging even more.
        2003 Jackson SLATQH Custom (cobalt cabo), 2002 Jackson SLATQM (burnt cherry), 2011 Jackson Chris Broderick Soloist (transblack 7), 2007 SL2H (black)
        Mesa Road King, Bogner Uberkab, Mesa Lonestar Classic, Kemper Profiling Amp, Eventide H8000

Comment

Does this work on Ultex?

Originally posted by MetalDaze View Post
          Don't forget about the carpet trick...

Comment

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

^
              sigpic
              Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I used to use a dremel drill press with a .5mm bit to drill out a bunch of holes on picks for better grip. Now I just use the incredible power of my brick like fists to hold the pick in a monster grip.
                I used a hole punch on a few picks with great results. Now I also just use my incredible brick-like fists to keep hold... and when I'm done, I give kick sweeps to my enemies like Chuck Norris, John Petrucci and Vince Sansevere.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I used a hole punch on a few picks with great results.
                  Hey, that was my trick!, a la The Simpsons, I called them speed holes I would place 2 or 3 holes in each pick, and I thought they’d help me hold on to the bugger.

I went up the ranks of the Tortex, beginning with red and ending with the blue and purple, though I find the purple a little too thick, so I settle with the 1.0 mm blue. I also like the 1.0 mm Clayton acetal and most recently a Tortex variant called “The Wedge”: http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/tortex-wedge

The last 2 feel a bit stiffer than the regular blue, which I like. I didn’t realize The Wedge is marketed as a slightly different shape than the normal Tortex, with a tip a bit more sharp. When I have them back to back, I can tell, but don’t see any other difference. The Clayton has more of a sharp point like the Wedge, again which look like standard pick-shape to me.

I am always up for trying new pick shapes, but nowadays it seems picks are no longer sold as singles in those trays, they’re sold by the dozen, or half-dozen and I don’t have that kind of commitment! I’ve been looking to try the Jazz III to see what the hype is about, but I’m not gonna buy a dozen to find out I don’t like em. Actually, they’re 1.4 mm which I find too thick, but I didn’t realize they made the Tortex Pitch Black Jazz III in different thickness, so I might have to try those out.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Yeah, I know it's old school, but it's what I started out on and just stuck with over the years. Still works for me.
                    In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Fender extra heavy picks work for me.

Comment

I used Tortex standard blue for 20 years. Just got some .94 black fangs (Ultex sharp) and like the sharper, brighter attack. The sharp point gives the speed and precision of the Jazz III's without the annoying small size. I don't know yet if they'll last as long as the Tortex.

Comment

i only use the green dunlop tortex sharps...everything else feels sloppy to me for some reason...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Dunlop green .88 tortex; sometimes I use the jazz versions but otherwise it's been the same pick for 2+ decades now

Comment

Been through plenty. First 72pack was Dunlop Gels in red. Bout 1mm, loved em. Played through heaps of different ones, jazz III's just weren't right. Hard to riff chaos with. I liked the sharpness though. I tried the tortex sharps and went through a few diff thicknesses. I bought a 24pack of the wedge in 1mm, loved em.

But now I'm using Ultex Sharp 1mm. Perfect pick! It's as close to the red Gels but sharp. I like the consistency of newish picks. Can't be too fresh, can't be too old. Gotta have a little bit of give for the major chugs and plenny of bite when your meedlin'!

Comment

PickBoy 1.14 Carbon Nylons.
                                My Toys:
                                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                                '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                                '94 Dinky HX in Black
                                '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                                X