It's a GO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
    Why can't the Sustainer be painted/covered? Jackson won't do it? I mean, it can be done, physically it ain't impossible, you can even paint pickups without a cover...
    According to JCS they believe the paint &/or cover would negate or dampen the magnetic field the sustainer generates. This was per Rob Maywalt. They would do it unpainted and part of me is thinking that's the route to go but the design kinda needs the p'ups to be painted.

Comment

Assuming we are talking sustainiac here versus the PC-1 system, it can be painted according to the manufacturer. They recommend against covers because it causes the driver to be a little further from the strings.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        Assuming we are talking sustainiac here versus the PC-1 system, it can be painted according to the manufacturer. They recommend against covers because it causes the driver to be a little further from the strings.
        Dunno. Just quoting what came down the pipe from JCS...

Comment

Stole this idea from Uli Jon Roth. Just relieved the underside of the fretboard . Played and sounded fantastic.
          Vine-web-1.JPG
          Also, if they will do painted pickups, have them paint an extra set of covers. I did this guitar for a member here. He originally wanted EMGs. I painted the EMGs and a set of covers in case he wanted to change.
          CW-151.jpg
          No expert, but I fail to see how a non-ferrous coat of 0.012" thick paint is going to create any problems with magnetic fields or cause one to move the pick up so far away from the strings that the sound will be destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
            Stole this idea from Uli Jon Roth. Just relieved the underside of the fretboard . Played and sounded fantastic.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3993[/ATTACH]
            Also, if they will do painted pickups, have them paint an extra set of covers. I did this guitar for a member here. He originally wanted EMGs. I painted the EMGs and a set of covers in case he wanted to change.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]3994[/ATTACH]
            No expert, but I fail to see how a non-ferrous coat of 0.012" thick paint is going to create any problems with magnetic fields or cause one to move the pick up so far away from the strings that the sound will be destroyed.
            Very cool! I like your idea of an extra set of pup covers in case. I am certainly one of those types who changes minds on p'ups until I find "the one."

Comment

From this page...

http://www.sustainiac.com/st-pro.htm#not-recommended

Concealing the driver: If you cover up the driver (to fool people into thinking you are Superman), you move the driver farther away from the strings by the thickness of the cover. This reduces the sustainer performance. Paint should work OK, or very thin plastic etc. Using a metal cover upsets the magnetic balance of the driver.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                Very cool! I like your idea of an extra set of pup covers in case. I am certainly one of those types who changes minds on p'ups until I find "the one."
                I highly recommend it. I've got a custom shop with painted EMGs that I wish I had requested an extra set of painted passive covers for. I don't mind the EMGs, but I wish I had the option to try some other things in there...

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  From this page...

http://www.sustainiac.com/st-pro.htm#not-recommended

Concealing the driver: If you cover up the driver (to fool people into thinking you are Superman), you move the driver farther away from the strings by the thickness of the cover. This reduces the sustainer performance. Paint should work OK, or very thin plastic etc. Using a metal cover upsets the magnetic balance of the driver.
                  It sounds like I need to steer clear of the cover idea IF I go with the sustainer. Matt suggested I contact the manufacturer of which ever unit I'd opt for and ask them if painting the driver would effect the performance. Though the link Hellbat provided states: Paint should work OK, or very thin plastic etc.
                  Last edited by vector; 05-09-2012, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Gotcha. Didn't know if you might still cover the bridge pup...

Comment

Ahhh, but wait! It looks like it's back on. Matt is trying to hash out the particulars but it looks like I will be able to get the sustainiac in the CS Star after all. Sheeesh!

Comment

Cool. I'm thinking of making a project out of installing my own Sustainiac in the DKMGT I just bought. But then I lose my excuse to buy myself a PC1 some day, so I have a dilema hehe.
                        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                        X