No announcement yet.

NGD: Jackson SDX Adrian Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope I didn't but I'm still happy with the deal I got.They knocked the price down on a decent hard case for it so I got a more than fair deal.
    Going to give it some new strings and a set up tonight and have some fun with it.
    I have a black DiMarzio super D here in my stack of stuff so thats going in.
    I think this guitar deserves the super D anyway.
    Dying to see how its routed underneath so maybe more pick up mods in the future with a black pick guard.
    Its a really great guitar so those on the fence grab one or wait on a used one to pop up.
    The necks feel great no kidding.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Played one today at GC in reno , going back tomorrow to put it on lay-away, I loved it!
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

One thing I found when starting the set up the trem has a 34 mm sustain block which seems too short IMO and the angle of the trem springs looks off.The springs stay in just fine.On this one the trem claw sits up too high and when you back it off to get the base plate level it raises up to where you can't get the cover plate back on with out it making contact with the claw.
        I could fix it easily but being new I may choose to take it back and have them order a maple board version and take my chances with that one.
        Its a great playing and sounding guitar and the fret work is very nice for a MII Jackson.
        I'm going to call the Mgr today and see what they can do.

Comment

I just played a maple neck one at GC. It was OK but needed a proper set up badly. I also noticed that the necks are not quartersawn like the most Charvel necks but rather flat sawn. I know that the bodies are Basswood which is supposed to be light but this guitar was rather heavy.

Comment

8.7lbs...Heavy....unless that is the paint or cast iron hardware I'd say there is some wood in that body. Most uncrate like Sounds good.
            You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

No need even expect a quartersawn neck at that price so its a moot point.Flat or quarter its a great neck either way.
              8.7 is a good weight IMO you know you have a nice hefty hunk of wood.
              Vibrates really well

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                No need even expect a quartersawn neck at that price so its a moot point.Flat or quarter its a great neck either way.
                8.7 is a good weight IMO you know you have a nice hefty hunk of wood.
                Vibrates really well
                Dude, you should be on the lookout for MIJ Fenders. They really have this soulful handcrafted mojo feel thing going on that I just can't explain... I just got my second one in... all I have to say is... DAMN. I wouldn't trade a USA Charvel for either of my MIJ Fenders. They're really that good, but the necks are a bit fatter. If you can get past that...
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I have had a few of the MIJ contemporary/HM model strats and yes they are that good I agree.

Comment

Took my rosewood board SDX AS back to GC today and told them it had a few issues which I pointed out.
                    NP a new maple board one is being sent to my house Wed of next week.Hopefully no issues.
                    I could have fixed the problems but hell its a new guitar I shouldn't have to.
                    Trem claw was drilled and installed too high, after I got the trem level the cover plate rubbed the trem claw not good.
                    Middle pick up had some issues and was quite loose.
                    Great sounding guitar overall and it played great.

Comment

Got my rosewood yesterday. Luckily, I am not having any issues like you did. So far, I am loving it.

Comment

I have had a few of the MIJ contemporary/HM model strats and yes they are that good I agree.
                        No, I mean the newer late 2000 models. The older ones are nice, the new ones are amazing. Quality has improved.
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                          Dude, you should be on the lookout for MIJ Fenders. They really have this soulful handcrafted mojo feel thing going on that I just can't explain... I just got my second one in... all I have to say is... DAMN. I wouldn't trade a USA Charvel for either of my MIJ Fenders. They're really that good, but the necks are a bit fatter. If you can get past that...
                          ive got an 83' MIJ Squire Strat. The second year they were in production. What are the thoughts on this? Anybody recommend a prewired pick guard I could put in it if it is worth it?

Comment

The MIJ pick ups are about as close to vintage as you can get leave them in there and get a quality wiring harness and call it done.JMO.

Comment

The MIJ pick ups are about as close to vintage as you can get leave them in there and get a quality wiring harness and call it done.JMO.
                              I didn't realize this... Always thought the pickups were crap. So just redo the rest of the electronics and leave the pickups in?

Comment

Dying to see how its routed underneath so maybe more pick up mods in the future with a black pick guard.
                                You probably already figured this out but just in case: HSS.

A few minor issues that are solvable:
                                • Neck pickup can't be raised very high and is very meh (this is ok, it's getting replaced w/ GFS Surf 90 or SD Quarter Pound).
                                • One of the screw holes in the body for the pickguard is stripped out (should be easy to fix with glue and toothpick)
                                • Neck had too much tension for the stock 9's that the guitar ships with. put 11's on anyhow and the relief is perfect now.
                                • Body screws for the trem claw are bent so that when you turn them they angle out, and then back in, so you have to turn them a whole revolution so they don't poke out against the cover plate (i think this is what Straycat was referring to, was your maple one better?)
                                • Lic. FR hardware is pretty rough / low rent (this is getting replaced w/ a GFS Heavy Duty Floyd Rose)
                                • 3 springs on the Floyd Rose (again, getting replaced so won't be an issue)
                                • Intonation on the G, B, and E were all flat @ the 12th. Not a huge deal but surprising since everything else was pretty close to good.

Things that rule
                                :
                                • Love the headstock w/ big logo and black hardware
                                • Clean lower body with jack along the side instead of the top
                                • Awesome awesome neck (unfinished or oil finished)
                                • Great fret size and good fret finishing
                                • Overall feel is really solid, despite the little things above, it plays and sounds great.
                                • Rear pickup is passable clean, and decent with some metal distortion (will replace w/ GFS Power Rail)
                                • Electronics are actually really good: the pots are Alpha (thought i saw that stamp) and the 5 way switch looks very robust with springs and a rectangular PCB. I don't feel a need to replace these or the knobs.
                                Last edited by polishbroadcast; 09-23-2012, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X