NGD: Jackson SDX Adrian Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD: Jackson SDX Adrian Smith

Well I lucked out and got the Adrian Smith SDX for my birthday from my wife and in-laws Being a big A.S. fan I really wanted one of these !!

Have to say, the guitar does look amazing! I've often looked at the USA model (which is about 4x the price) and the SDX does look as near-as-dammit the same. As per the specs, there are real differences in hardware and pickups (as well as the basswood body), but comparing it purely on looks to the USA it does impress.

It's not a lightweight guitar at around 3.8kgs (8.4 lbs) which was unexpected really as I thought the much less expensive version would just feel cheap. The Floyd Rose special really surprises and stays in tune well and even pushing all the way on the bar and returning it to pitch after having the strings flopping about in space makes no difference. The fine tuners feel a little bit scratchy but the trem as a whole is darn good.

I was surprised to read that they were keeping the 12-16" compound radius neck. On a budget version I thought they just do a 12" and leave it at that, but the neck really is good one with a dry, smooth finish to it. Profile is a thin, flattened C shape I'd say, not Ibanez thin but chunky enough in the hand. The fretwork is good, some sharp edges if I'm being picky but nothing major.

Sound-wise there's a lot of variation here. The bridge pickup may just need some more low end to it, but it's far from disappointing. Single coils are pretty cool too and, again I was surprised by the variation in the sounds available. This is far from a one-trick metal-only pony

All-in-all it's an excellent guitar for the money. OK, I'll probably mod it a little but there's definitely no urgency to do that.
    Jackson PC1
    Jackson Adrian Smith SDX
    Charvel 475 Ltd Edition Platinum Crackle
    Jackson Professional Kip Winger bass
    Sei Flamboyant Offset 7 string bass
    Sei Flamboyant 6 string fretless bass
    James Tyler 4 string bass

Lucky bastard...................now show us some bloody pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congrats on the new Esteban!

Disregard this post if and when any pics are posted.

Comment

You're the first one on this forum to get one. Grats. Pictures are required. Many of them.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I thought they felt pretty good so good to hear you like it.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

What type of board did you get? I am curious about the brightness of maple ones in this SDX version. Overall finish and quality of your new "Esteban"? LOL

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I tried the rosewood board version and still want the maple/maple version.
                  My only beef is it has an 11 screw pickguard.Would probably swap that and go two hums and a single anyway.
                  Has a real hefty weight to it which I like, very solid feeling for an import.

Comment

Here's the photos !!

After playing this for the last few days, I just get more and more impressed with it. I'll do the usual shielding mods if necessary (haven't opened it up yet as I was waiting for strings to come in the post!) and maybe change the pots and switch. Might look at Floyd Upgrades if their stuff fits this trem as it's not a Floyd Original. Not sure what bridge pickup to switch to thinking at the moment to go to a James Tyler one, but early days in that decision. As it is, there's really no real need to change anything immediately.
                    Jackson PC1
                    Jackson Adrian Smith SDX

Comment

If your impressed with it, why are you wanting to swap out the pots/switch? Are you hearing/feeling the lesser quality components?
                      OH! And great looking Axe. Back to my earlier question: Does this maple fret board make this a bright sounding guitar? I know on my DK2M, it certainly did.

Comment

I am dreading the day I walk into a guitar store and find one of these hanging on the wall

Comment

As soon as I heard about it I wanted one!

I asked about it in the store and they said they were available. I was going to sell my Cort Neil NZS-1 to buy it as well !!

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
                          If your impressed with it, why are you wanting to swap out the pots/switch? Are you hearing/feeling the lesser quality components?
                          OH! And great looking Axe. Back to my earlier question: Does this maple fret board make this a bright sounding guitar? I know on my DK2M, it certainly did.
                          I haven't opened it up yet, but if they're going to skimp on anything it'll be the electrics I switch them if I have to.
                          Jackson PC1
                          Jackson Adrian Smith SDX

Comment

I want one with a maple board.
                            People can rag about them all they want I like them a lot after playing one.
                            Very cool guitars for the money IMO.

Comment

I want one now!

Comment

Working...
                              X