No announcement yet.

NGD: Jackson SDX Adrian Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found two of the neck plate screws on my maple board version were slightly bent so those will get changed with the pick up swap
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

• Update on the SDX AS I have. Finished up the last mods tonight and very happy with it. Swapped out the pick ups for a scrungy 83 DiMarzio super D in the bridge, 70's SDS-1 in the middle and newer SDS-1 in the neck. Sounds much better and throaty as hell,RS pot upgrade kits really makes the pick ups breath nothing choked back at all no mud and clear as a bell. Harmonics ring out all up and down the neck. Changed out the bent neck plate screws as well decided to leave the original so so tuners on it until they break.They work reasonably well and you have a lock nut so not all that critical. There it is all done.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by straycat; 11-04-2012, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• Want to give a big thank you to warlok for hooking me up with the newer SDS-1.
        If you have never tried an SDS-1 you should they are some of the best singles out there.
        Nice clean bell like tones and have enough balls to hang in and not go all to hell when up crank the amp gain up.
        This config of pick ups is my fave of all time.

Comment

• Apologies for reviving a thread from 2012, but I had a few questions (mostly for straycat or anyone else) who did an excellent job identifying the issues with the guitar and then getting everything up to snuff.

Seems like the really important mods are:
          1) Replacing the trem claw screws because they bend too easily
          2) Replacing the locking nut with a narrower one because of slippage on the 1st and 6th strings

Less important:
          3) Sustain block
          4) Pots
          5) Tuners
          6) Trem
          7) Pickups

2) Anyone know of a narrower nut that will drop right in? I don't want to do any dowelling and redrilling as described in this thread. Newer thread (http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/148...ut-Width-Issue) seems to be ambivalent on the issue of dowelling/redrilling versus direct replacement.

3) Straycat, you went from the stock 34mm zinc block to a 42mm big brass block. I myself have a 42mm big brass block from FloydUpgrades in my Soloist (non-recessed OFR) for many years. It doesn't look like you had any issues with going to a longer length sustain block, but intuition tells me there should be trouble! Could you (or anyone else) please comment on this?

6) According to the Floyd Rose website, the OFR and the Floyd Rose Special are 100% identical in dimensions (but not in materials), so dropping in an OFR should have no issues?

Thanks!
          Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 03-18-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X