No announcement yet.

Desolation Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You sir are among the few that get it. However with the lot on this forum, they're going to find something to bitch about no matter what Charvel or Jackson does.
    Occupy JCF

Comment

• For those of us that remember when US companies had pride in the name that was on their guitars ( ala Gibson Fender ) I submit this

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-manipulation/

*big topic.. I know but give it a little thought.. yea they do work on dirt floors in china and yes they do cut corners.

Originally posted by BYeh1 View Post
      I don't get all the China hate, their cheap and productive labor force has allowed Americans and the rest of the world's consumers to enjoy low cost goods for the past 20 years, and the free market long ago ended the debate on demand for their products. *

I've played these Desolation models at the guitar shops here in HK, and they're actually pretty decent quality. Heck, if they weren't labelled or if Mike McGregor didnt say so, I'll bet no one would've guessed they were MIC.

FMIC did this because they're in business to make money and they see demand for value-priced Charvels, and I'll bet the market agrees and they're commercially successful.

Any takers?

Comment

• I like the star ones
        Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
        Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

• Originally posted by g_reaper View Post
          For those of us that remember when US companies had pride in the name that was on their guitars ( ala Gibson Fender ) I submit this

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-manipulation/

*big topic.. I know but give it a little thought.. yea they do work on dirt floors in china and yes they do cut corners.
          and Western consumers are happy to get even bigger TVs for even less money and Western companies are happy to take advantage of the cheap labour and offshore the work to Asia. But that's all China's fault, right?

Some of us remember when US guitar manufacturers took such pride in their work that it spawned an entire aftermarket replacement guitar parts to make those factory instruments playable, drove the price of vintage instruments up and up, and eventually lead to the creation of a number of small guitar builders that fuelled the hotrod guitar boom of the 80s. So you can thank Gibson & Fender in the 70s for the birth of Charvel, Jackson, Schecter, Dimarzio et al. Because of the great pride they (G & F) took in the instruments they made.
          Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            and Western consumers are happy to get even bigger TVs for even less money and Western companies are happy to take advantage of the cheap labour and offshore the work to Asia. But that's all China's fault, right?
            Yeah, kind of a double edged sword. We hate the fact that jobs & manufacturing are increasingly being outsourced and the trade deficit is growing & all the while, we're grabbing up the cheap merchandise and clamoring for more.
            I got no beef with Charvel offering Chinese-made axes at a price range that puts them in a lot of aspiring hands. Those aspiring shredders will hopefully grow in ability and in earning potential, and start buying USA made higher-end models. Of course, with the global economy going down the shitter, along with ours, maybe no one will be buying anything...

Comment

• yeah..Das Rite! I gotta 65" Mitsobushi!
              Last edited by horns666; 06-05-2012, 12:18 PM.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

• Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                yeah..Das Rite! I gotta 65" Mitsobushi!
                I gotta 65" Mitsobushi, a case of cold Pabst, a buncha semi-auto hunting rifles and 5000 rounds of ammo. Fuck them Chinamen and the global economy
                Last edited by vector; 06-05-2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Hi Five Vector! I saw one of these Desolations and it had 5 pieces of wood glued together to make the maple back on the neck ( -the fretboard ) and 9 pieces of wood to make the body.

Originally posted by vector View Post
                  I gotta 65" Mitsobushi, a case of cold Pabst, a buncha semi-auto hunting rifles and 5000 rounds of ammo. Fuck them Chinamen and the global economy
                  Last edited by g_reaper; 06-12-2012, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Well... to get back on topic.
                    I bought one from the Music Farm a DS-1 ST and just loved it. I have A 1996 USA Select EDS RR1, a 1991 Japanese Charvel 650 XL, a Japanese Roswell Rhoads a DXMG, A KE3 from the 90's and a 2006 DK2.
                    After the DS-1 ST I bought a SK-1 FR and a DS-2 ST Blue Smear.
                    Leaving prejudice aside, I'm a guitar player and a musician first, and in my humble opinion, these things rock.
                    Lightweight, precise, good hardware, nice choice of pickups, there's something for almost everyone in here.
                    I'm gonna shoot some videos next week and post them for you to check out some of them.
                    Facebook - Youtube

Comment

• I had the chance to try out a DST-1 FR at a store a few weeks back. It played really nice, the three-piece oiled neck felt nice (although could have done with a few more coats of oil if you ask me). The profile is thin, not Jackson speed profile thin mind, but really comfortable and fast. The action was low and it sounded pretty good with the EMGs. The only annoying thing was the abrupt transition from the unpainted neck to the body, you can really feel it and it's slightly irritating. It felt pretty solid and well built but you could tell that the wood isn't the best. The attention to detail is generally ok as well but one thing that disappointed me is that at the point where the clear meets the unfinished neck, you can see that they cleared over the fretboard binding as well; so you have a matte finish on the neck and binding up to around the 17th fret or something then suddenly the binding is glossy. This is obviously nothing that affects the playablity of course but it just brings out the OCD in me.

I didn't get a chance to play any of the other Desolation series hanging in the store but having a close look at a few of them i must say i was pretty impressed. The single cutaway, double cutaway and Skatecaster actually looked pretty solid and badass. I was also quite impressed by the tops on the trans finish models, they had a pretty decent flame to them and I also liked the fact that the headstock logo was a pearloid finish rather than just white. The abalone bling isn't for everyone (myself included) but i think it works well with the trans finishes. They also have black chrome hardware ala ESP which is nice; standard chrome looks cheap IMO.

Anyway, all things considered i think with the Desolation series you definitely get a lot of guitar for the money.
                      Last edited by Devotee; 06-22-2012, 02:06 AM.
                      It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
                      ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

• I'm still on the fence. I really like the looks of the Snow White Single Cut, I'm just not real fond of the blackouts.. The sound is really thin to me and I'm not real impressed. I'd like to hear one with some good passives in it before I pulled the trigger just so I know how that thin basswood body would sound. I have YET to find a Star in a store and would really like to check one of them out. The new BC Rich Mockingbird ST has my eye too so I see an aquisition in my future.
                        Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

• Why not get one and trade the blackouts out with some passives?

Comment

• Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
                            Why not get one and trade the blackouts out with some passives?
                            Because I'm a poor musician and can't afford to spen 600 bucks on a guitar only to change out pickups and find that it STILL sounds like shit.
                            Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

• I played one of the double cuts; neck-thru w/ EMG's, and it felt like a POS. If you want to talk about ould rivalries, Kramer is making better guitars these days.

Comment

• I finally got to see a DS1 (single cutaway) up close the at a local store. I must agree the transition on the neck wood to body paint is noticable, but not a deal breaker. It had a nice look, neck shape was comfy, and the bling reminded me of an over the top Schecter, which isn't a bad thing either IMO. I didn't plug it in, when looking it over I saw the price on the hang tag, it was over $700! Wait, it gets better. I looked at the HS to see the serial, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a serial number sticker, and a big ass USED stamp on this piece of gear! I was a bit miffed, and asked the dude beind the counter what the story was, he said it was new, on consignment, and the owner wouldn't budge on the price, (he wanted to make money on it.) I wished him luck, as they could be bought cheaper on Ebay, with a warranty, and for that much extra I could get a nice case too. I wasn't trying to be rude (known them for a long time,) just honest with them. He then told me it had hung there for 2 months now, and a few people looked at it until they saw no case/warranty.
                                I still plan on getting one, trans red stoptail. I want a mahogany guitar, I want a Les Paul style, but I want 24 frets, and this fits the bill perfectly. Only problem is no local dealer here, so I'll be ordering it. All the reviews I've read (TYVM BTW) makes me want one more.
                                "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                                X