No announcement yet.

ESP Guitars info!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got my first ESP last year (M-II), having used Ibanez and Jackson for 10 years. They are brilliant guitars - the Standard Series have original floyds and Duncan/EMG pickups, so hardware is top quality. In terms of quality Ibanez/ESP/Jackson are all broadly similar in my experience - the only difference is the neck profiles. I've also played an early 90's Horizon years ago and loved it. If you like rock guitars, you can't go too far wrong with an ESP.

Comment

Accept, that M1 is badass. If you were local I'd take it off your hands.

...and put black hardware on it of course.
      All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

The only ESP I've tried is an M-10. I haven't heard one through an amp or MFX, but I liked the feel.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Accept2 View Post
          Its meh.......
          Nice. Love the headstock.

Is that a rosewood or ebony board? The flash make it look lighter than ebony.

A few too many switches and knobs, but it's nice.

Too bad they didn't keep it a single Hum like an M-1 should be. I'd be half tempted to put it back to original, filling in the neck route and extra knob and switch holes.

I've heard mostly good about that Sinclair trem. Any issues? My Horizon came with the OFR when I bought it, so I never got to try one.

Comment

There were different versions of the Synclair trem. I've owned two different versions myself. They are solid trems, but getting parts is a pain. On one of them, the string lock screws had to be removed when changing strings, so they were just begging to be lost. Other than that, it was good. On the other one, I didn't care for the arm insert design, nor did I like the arm tension adjustment. Summary: Synclairs are good trems, but I'd take an OFR over one any day. Easier to get parts and a better design IMO.

Comment

I've had an Edwards Alexi Laiho, which was great, but, my rr24 is just as good, if not better. I've had THREE ESP M-II's... the later models are heavy as F**K, but the Deluxe I had from the early 90's was light and much better built... so like one said above, if you get an earlier one, good on ya! I've played the new Horizons, and, well, wasn't anything to brag about. All in all, after all the guitars I've had (Caparison, Strictly 7, ESP, Jackson, Dean, Ibanez), there is one guitar that I've always wanted to have again; and that would be my Jackson rr24! I would definitely get an Alexi again if I couldn't get another Jackson rr24(because I'm a fanboy), and I'd get an ESP M-II Deluxe over the new ones, and Caparison is prolly the only OTHER guitar I'd rather have over a Jackson... but only to have along with my Jackson. Besides, Caparison came from Jackson Check them out to stay in the family if you are going to branch out.

Comment

I've owned some 80s & 90s ESPs. But most of the ones I've had have been Standard Series made in the last 5 years. I like the newer ones better and think they are overall better guitars. Weight varies a lot on both the old and newer ones. I've seen light and heavy examples of each. The variation leads me to believe that when choosing wood for their guitars, ESP doesn't put much worry into the weight of the wood.

Comment

The old MII Deluxe can be either Alder or Ash bodies, typically Ash from Japan is White Ash or "Hard Ash" that is probably why some of them are heavy and some are not. So if in the market or purchasing you might want to ask the seller about the weight, or to not take a gamble the newer MII are Alder.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Nice. Love the headstock.

Is that a rosewood or ebony board? The flash make it look lighter than ebony.
                    Its rosewood. There is no question its a quality guitar, but it has way too much weight to it, and its got a neck like a baseball bat. It is a really cool guitar though, but I expected a Jackson copy to play like a Jackson.........

Comment

but I expected a Jackson copy to play like a Jackson.........

Comment

I wouldn't mind buying an old NY strathead...
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Its rosewood. There is no question its a quality guitar, but it has way too much weight to it, and its got a neck like a baseball bat. It is a really cool guitar though, but I expected a Jackson copy to play like a Jackson.........
                          Dang, sorry about that. Both of my old ESP's are great and easily go head to head with my SL2H, RR's, Model 6's and such. You know, I think back then ESP was sort of like the Jackson custom shop, and hand-made guitars to order. I wonder if the person who had yours built requested the fat neck.

Both of my ESP necks are very similar, but not like my Jackson necks (which I prefer). They are a tad fatter, but the most obvious is that they are a 'U' profile instead of a 'C' profile. IMO, I'd call my '89 RG550 a thin 'D' profile.

Comment

Anything that isnt a C or a D shape is a baseball bat.....

Comment

Anything that isnt a C or a D shape is a baseball bat.....
                              You haven't played an R8 yet. That, my friend, is a baseball bat. I'm tempted to shave the neck, but I just can't. It's my 2nd most expensive guitar.

Comment

I have a M-II Maple that I picked up a few years ago. I like it. The neck is comfortable and it resonates well.

I wouldn't mind trying one of the neck thru versions.

Comment

Working...
                                X