X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I may have posted this here before, but it makes me laugh every time:

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      What bands did he list that are even "djent"? The Black Dahlia Murder are metal, and they kick ass. And although I'm not really a fan, A7X are certainly not "djent", either. Someone else here mentioned Meshuggah, and they fucking rule!
      I was in no way calling all of those bands "djent." I was more so classifying them as all being apart of this lame brand of so-called "modern metal" - of which "djent" is obviously apart of. I don't really see Meshuggah, who've been at it since '87, as being apart of these "modern" bands necessarily. They're kind of lumped in, but these guys are real metal heads. Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly respect where they're coming from... And not just because Sweden kicks so much ass.

It matters less to me what sub-genre they're aiming at replicating, because the spirit of these bands is just different. I don't know if it's the combination of v neck shirts, side swept hair or cut-off capri skinny jeans, but I can't get past the feeling of "hipster" when I hear any of these bands. Periphery, Black Dahlia Murder, Avenged Sevenfold, whatever. For me they have more in common with Converge, The Blood Brothers, These Arms are Snakes, The Fall of Troy, other generic post-hardcore, etc.

Originally posted by elrrek View Post
      VanHoosen, you are - imho - hilarious and wrong. But you are welcome to keep your opinions so keep on fighting!
      That's fine. I'm sure a thousand pop fans would say something similar if I told them what I thought of thought of their "tastes." Opinions are like assholes, or so they say.

And I don't care if anyone disagrees with my opinion - that's what makes the world turn round after all - but at least do me a favor and backup your own with statements other than "hipster? ...wow, that's hilarious. You have no idea what you're talking about." This is like the hipster go-to retort after being called out. Everything is always oh-so hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
        And I don't care if anyone disagrees with my opinion - that's what makes the world turn round after all - but at least do me a favor and backup your own with statements other than "hipster? ...wow, that's hilarious. You have no idea what you're talking about." This is like the hipster go-to retort after being called out. Everything is always oh-so hilarious.
        Sorry for not backing up my statement but I honestly didn't see the need as I can't see how anyone can class Periphery as "hipster" due to that fact that everyone in that band is a ridiculous gear nerd and the level of musicianship displayed by the band is really rather high, neither of which seem to me like typical "hipster" traits. This would - imho - be obvious to anyone who heard one of their songs more than once with open ears.

I would also heavily disagree with your labelling of Converge as "generic post-hardcore", your limits of what genre a band exists in seem very wide.

But like you say, opinions, everyone has one and we don't really need to get deep into each others.

Comment

Whether they're good musicians or gear whores is completely irrelevant, who gives a shit?

This is Metal:

This is NOT Metal:

It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
          ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

So, section between 0:23 to 1:08 in the Periphery video is not metal? When I listen to what the bass is doing in the Vektor song is doing in the intro it's really not that different to the Periphery thing which is just more "skewed" and out than the straight down the middle "generic" pseudo (and bad) Euro-Thrash being plied by Vektor.

If "metal" is what Vektor are doing, which is typical of what "true metal" is considered to be - a retreading of existing conventions with a slap-down for anyone stepping out if the accepted limitations, then you are welcome to it, I'll stick to mine which encompasses Black Sabbath, Halford, Kreator, Slayer and Mastodon, via Godflesh, Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, Dream Theatre, the colour pink is gay, Faith No More, Conan, Obscura and Periphery, amongst others.

Comment

Oh believe me, i LOVE bands who 'step outside of the accepted limitations'; especially Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord and most of the bands you mentioned. Hell, i've become so jaded the past couple of years that i tend to only seek out bands who think outside of the box and break boundaries and even end up sounding completely harsh, bordering on unlistenable in the process. I would be happy to discuss some of my findings with you.

Either way, what those bands you mentioned have (for the most part) that Periphery doesn't have is balls, a unique identity or concept and attitude. As for Vektor, yeah they might sound a bit like Coroner at times but they're hardly 'generic' like Bonded By Blood or whatever other party-Thrash band Earache has signed in the past five years. Periphery is a mix of half-assed leftover Meshuggah riffs (without an inkling of the heaviness, darkness and oppressive atmosphere that makes that particular band so immense) with sing-along pop choruses, terrible Emo vocals and Bro-core breakdowns; a mishmash of Metalcore, Emo, Mathcore and basically most prevailing 'core trends the past decade, but without any of the original spirit. Hence the 'hipster' label; because that's what hipster is - the amalgamation of subcultural stereotypes into a vapid, unidentifiable mess that takes characteristics of each whilst completely sucking out any of the meaning or spirit behind what originally inspired it.

Originally posted by RD
              ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

@ Devotee: that's the sort of response that makes me glad I'm registered here A proper "discussion" (even if it is a little off-topic so I'm not going to continue it here).

Comment

Hehehe. Well said.
                  I dont know, I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to metal. I still haven't progressed much from the 80s and in fact I dont think music in general has improved much since then. But what I do know is I like what I've heard of that Bulb dude playing on his own but the Periphery stuff I've heard is boring and doesn't make me want to explore more deeply.

Anyway, Jackson/Charvel have Guthrie Govan on board now.
                  All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

"Real" metal died in 1990...
                    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
                    Gotta get away from here.
                    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
                    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by elrrek View Post
                      @ Devotee: that's the sort of response that makes me glad I'm registered here A proper "discussion" (even if it is a little off-topic so I'm not going to continue it here).
                      Amen buddy!

Originally posted by RD

Comment

Originally posted by VanHoosen View Post
                        I was in no way calling all of those bands "djent." I was more so classifying them as all being apart of this lame brand of so-called "modern metal" - of which "djent" is obviously apart of.
                        Black Dahlia Murder is melodic death metal. You might as well put Arch Enemy, Hypocrisy, Opeth, Soilwork and At the Gates in your list while you're at it, too. They're all basically Gothenburg, which is an established genre that pre-exists modern "djent".

:P
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I don't see the need to argue the point.If you like it listen to it if not don't.
                          Personally I don't get the screamo death metal shit to begin with, it all sounds the same to me so I don't listen to it.
                          Can they play? Sure they can.Can they write songs? Sure but they all sound the same.
                          If the young like it I'm all for it. This genre will pass and evolve into something else as all genres do in time.
                          I find it amusing there are so may genres with in one, so much its getting ridiculous.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You say that now stray, but once you hear the newest protogrindcorpsmackerdestructo metal band you mind will be blown!
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              I don't see the need to argue the point.If you like it listen to it if not don't.
                              Personally I don't get the screamo death metal shit to begin with, it all sounds the same to me so I don't listen to it.
                              Can they play? Sure they can.Can they write songs? Sure but they all sound the same.
                              If the young like it I'm all for it. This genre will pass and evolve into something else as all genres do in time.
                              I find it amusing there are so may genres with in one, so much its getting ridiculous.
                              And to me, Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, Poison, Dokken, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Whitesnake, etc..... all pretty much sound the same too. All a bunch of dudes dressing like girls trying to get them but in the end, really only looking like faggots that ended up killing metal in the late 80's.

/shrug

EDIT: And before anyone's zebra panties get all bunched up, I loved a lot of that shit back then too. But I've moved on. The homo out-gaying each other is what killed metal in the end, at least here where there WAS a big metal scene. Guys became manly again and realized that playing dress up and taking more time primping and looking prettier than their girlfriends was actually an embarrassment. And that's why Glam died and took most of metal away with it. It was a sore reminder of girly dress up times and even having it around brought up embarrassing memories.

That's why thrash and grunge took off so heavily at that point. It was anti-girlyman.
                              Last edited by xenophobe; 10-16-2012, 12:22 PM.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
                                Either way, what those bands you mentioned have (for the most part) that Periphery doesn't have is balls, a unique identity or concept and attitude. [...] Periphery is a mix of half-assed leftover Meshuggah riffs (without an inkling of the heaviness, darkness and oppressive atmosphere that makes that particular band so immense) with sing-along pop choruses, terrible Emo vocals and Bro-core breakdowns; a mishmash of Metalcore, Emo, Mathcore and basically most prevailing 'core trends the past decade, but without any of the original spirit. Hence the 'hipster' label; because that's what hipster is - the amalgamation of subcultural stereotypes into a vapid, unidentifiable mess that takes characteristics of each whilst completely sucking out any of the meaning or spirit behind what originally inspired it.
                                Well said! I think you covered just about everything I was attempting to get at - a lot better than something like "The Fall of Troy meets Meshuggah played on 8 string guitars" would have.

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                                Black Dahlia Murder is melodic death metal. You might as well put Arch Enemy, Hypocrisy, Opeth, Soilwork and At the Gates in your list while you're at it, too. They're all basically Gothenburg, which is an established genre that pre-exists modern "djent".

:P

Except Black Dahlia Murder aren't from Sweden. I will go on the record and say that musically they're not that bad, but the amount of inside jokes and ironic tendencies in their music turns me off instantly. I can't tell if they're joking about what they're doing, or if they're actually serious. For me, this puts them in direct contrast to bands like At The Gates, Dissection, or Dark Tranquility. They've replaced the darkness that made me fall in love with metal in the first place with loads of irony.
                                Last edited by VanHoosen; 10-16-2012, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X