6th Batch Custom Colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RobRR View Post
    Honestly, Id be sending that guitar back if it were me. The neck pocket on my SoCal is TIGHT as hell... actually have to use some force to get the neck back in. Thats the way it should be. More wood contact=better tone and sustain. A neck pocket like that can let the neck shift as well. Not something Id accept on an $1100 guitar.
    +1
    I agree with Rob.. For the kind of money you pay for these things you should have no question as to quality or satisfaction in workmanship.

But then again, I'm a tight ass.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

• Thanks guys for helping me navigate this. I am going to reach out to the dealer tomorrow to discuss the exchange/replacement options. Better to take care of this now until it is too late. Hopefully we can work something out. Besides that darn pocket, I have no complaints, but at least right now it is hard to not think about it each time I pick up the guitar. I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

• So I have decided to ship the guitar back. I think what drove me a bit over the edge was walking by a bunch of affordable guitars (~$200-$300) while at my lesson last evening - I did not see one guitar that had a similar neck pocket that I see on my Charvel. All of the pockets looked pretty darn tight to me.

I did call Fender last night and they informed me that their tolerance is .015 (.381 mm) on each side of the neck. I decided to pick myself up a feeler gauge as they are cheap and good to keep on hand anyhow. I just measured and my neck gap is approx .020 (.058 mm).

I'll have to admit I a bit sad to see the guitar go, probably because this is my first Charvel and I've dreamt of owning one since the late 80s. And of course its bit of a hassle to ship back, and I would just exchange it with the vendor, but I fear that I just might receive another with a similar issue.

So I think I will just make a trip up to Washington Music Center/Chuck Levins to have a look at their stock in person, including the array of customs for comparison as I am still set on getting a San Dimas Charvel.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyK View Post
          I like the more subtle Charvel white better. Pure stark white is a little much for me - unless it's a pearl snow white!
          If I get a white one, it'll be re-fin'd Pearlescent White. THAT will be nice.

Comment

• Originally posted by JZ06 View Post
            If I get a white one, it'll be re-fin'd Pearlescent White. THAT will be nice.
            I guess if you plan on re-painting it, you can get it in ANY color!
            '09 Charvel San Dimas USA
            '85 Jackson Soloist w/Floyd
            '98 PRS Custom 22
            '10 Les Paul Traditional

Comment

• Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

Also - the last guy who complained about their Pro Mod's neck pocket got his house busted into and his shit robbed!

Sorry Jazzy...
              :ROTF:

Yeah, but that was after I fixed it... Damn those guys stole a lot of my time, too.

A little gap is no big deal... I see it on Custom Shop guitars, too. But, even with the neck screws loose, the neck will want to stay in the correct spot and doesn't want to wobble around.

My Polar White SD1 was about as big a gap as this guy's, and you had to partially tighten the neck screws and torque the neck into place and then crank the screws down to get it in the correct spot... THAT is the kind of crappy neck pocket I would not put up with.

Comment

• I should provide an update. I did go through with the purchase of the Sea Sick Green San Dimas from Chuck's. This time with a pocket I can deal with. I will post picture soon, but I am very happy and it was nice to see the guitar first before forking over the credit card. They were kind enough to come very close to meeting the price offered from the mail order Vendor. I am also happy to have another Sea Sick in my hands as opposed to another color - so far this is my favorite from the production series that are still available.

Now I am awaiting a package from The Music Zoo. I decided to pull the trigger on a Green Sparkle Custom Shop San Dimas they had in stock. Excited about the arrival on Monday 11/16.

I will post pictures and a review, of course to another thread since this is focused on the production - 6th batch.

Comment

Working...
                X