Metallica - St. Anger Song - Radio Release Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metallica - St. Anger Song - Radio Release Today

Well, I recorded the song and have listened to it a few more times. It's starting to grow on me a bit but frankly, there are better tunes on Reload. I really like the riff after the chorus but James vocals are horrible and the production sounds like Bob Rock was on crack. I just can't get over how poor the production quality is, unbelievable!

Comment

If you want to read a real unbiased review on St. Anger, go here:

http://www.metallicasucks.com/page2.html

And jgcable, I can't imagine how you could have possibly heard the CD. The security on this thing has been like Ft. Knox. Not even radio stations have received advance copies.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable:
        A buddy of mine got an advanced copy and I listened to the entire record yesterday. Sounds like old school Metallica to me. Lars is definately an underrated drummer because he rips on this one. To me this record sounds like Metallica. And that is definately a good thing. They aren't going to get to much radio air time out of this release and I don't really "smell a hit" which again is a GOOD THING!! The best Metallica is the stuff you don't hear on the radio. That is actually true with most metal bands. I give it high marks but nothing beats Master of Puppets. That is a masterpiece.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've heard that Lars didn't play drums on all the cuts... studio guys 'helped out' in the drum department. I wouldn't doubt it.

Pete

Comment

I'm just going to give my shallow 2¢ here

METALLICA SUCKS! money hungry *****s! I'm still with the "Selloutica" group!!

Flame away! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

ok, we've all heard that lars may need help in the drums department and maybe he's slowing down a little bit. but, i kind of find that hard to believe. if he's slowed down at all, then there is no way that they can play battery anymore. i mean, he was the one that played the drums on that album, so he has to be able to play that fast. and besides, double bassing isn't the easiest thing to do in the world. when you're doing it, it feels like your running a freaking marathon. and lars is getting older, too. not that much older, but older none-the-less.
            the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

Ok, the lyrics and james's voice are good. I could see how this would be a great album, IF it didn't sound like ass. Lars's drums have always been very pro tooled. It's like it was recorded in my room through a cpu mike. The guitars don't have that sound they alway's have had, even on the load lp's. Rob's bass doesn't blow through the bottom like it should.I will probally end up buying it just to hear the whole lp. I don't have that much hope but I really like the writing at least on the 1st tune.
              I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Comment

I just saw the video on MTV2, damn that sucked! It sounds like a demo not the work of an established band and such a great producer. And talk about repetative, that whole song could have been cut down to 2 minutes and you not miss anything.

Worst part though, no solo. Not that I expected something great from Mr Wah Wah anymore but it would have been nice to break that song up a bit.
                I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

I've heard it twice now on the radio. (My radio station out here said they're gonna play it at the top of every hour.)

I don't hate it, but I think the drums didn't sound all that good, and was there even a guitar solo in it ?

Too me, it sounded like Metallica. But it didn't sound like the Metallica I grew up with...

Comment

I seriously doubt that was Lar's drumming too. [img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]

Comment

That snare or whatever it is with that tinny sound is the most irritating thing i've heard in quite some time.

The mix of this song is absolute garbage IMO. Especially during the vocal sections.

If this is the best of the album I might consider saving my $15

Comment

It is NOT the best of the album. They had to choose the most radio-friendly, and lets face it, the most radio-friendly song is usually the worst song on the album.

I actually liked Frantic better...but I have heard some snippets of the other songs and I think that Invisible Kid sounded pretty cool and that the last 2 songs are supposed to be brutal as hell.

You people ***** and moan 'that can't possibly be Lars [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] .' You can say that after you see them play it live. Their entire set as of recently has been their old music almost exclusively so I'm sure he's been brushing up on his drum skills.

[ May 28, 2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Guitarzan ]

Comment

They still play 6 string and most of it is standard tuning. Face it, heavy metal nowadays is MUCH heavier than it used to be.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I dont think you need to be tuned to F with a 7 string to be heavy.. some of the most brutal riffs have been in standard tuning. Sabbath, pantera, etc..

you still cant polish a turd, and the "new" metallica sounds like a steaming pile...

Dave

Comment

Agreed. I heard the song on the radio last night. That Snare was WAY to lound and loose to me. I couldn't hear the guitars that well either? I thought James' voice was decent.

Comment

I actually saw the full video a couple times last night and again this morning. I'm digging it a little more. I still think when the vocals first kick in that James sounds a little whiney, but seems to get better after that. I think it's overall a pretty good song, but the drum sound is definitely underproduced... not that it's bad, but it's just not what we're used to hearing from Bob Rock like on the last few albums. The snare drum is a little tinny-sounding, the bass drums are loose sounding, but at least it's not like it was on Justice when Fleming Rasmussen had it sounding all high-pitched like a typewriter like a lot of death metal bands do. Bob Rock's bass playing sounds okay, but it would have been better if they let Robert Trujillo recut it to have his signature on there.

[ May 28, 2003, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: toejam ]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just watched it too and all I can say (about that song anyway) is, the nu metal fans should be happy. The riff is total Nu Metal with all that bending the riff root note just out of tune... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] Not my cup o tea and like Xen said...Just look whos on the tour bill! If some one said hey Dave listen to the new POD featuring Hetfield on vox I wouldn't have questioned it one bit.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Working...
                                X