MTV Icon - Metallica - Tonight 9PM EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTV Icon - Metallica - Tonight 9PM EST

Yeah, I thought it was odd James was actually using a new black Gibson Explorer with mirror pickguard. Then the new song had some weird looking ESP baritone.
    I thought the show was pretty good overall, especially when the guy from Sum 41 played the Master of Puppets solo!
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

ya, even though he screwed it up, he's still gotta be proud to have played the only real solo lol.

Comment

Yeah, Het's main live guitars thus far for St. Anger are a Gibson Explorer, Gibson Les Paul Custom, and an ESP LTD F-300FM which is the weird lookin one he used on the new song, 'Frantic.'

Comment

I just saw the show here in Europe.
          Snoop and Staind totally sucked.
          Korn did a good job with ONE, but the bass kinda ruined the song.
          Limp was tolarable but nothing more.
          Avril had a decent drummer.
          Sum 41 was quite good.
          Jim Breuer was funny.

METALLICA kicked ass!!! The new song sounds promising.
          Ive always loved Metallica and all of their music. Load and Reaload isn't up there with the rest of the albums but they're OK.
          I can't wait for the new album. I know it's going to kick ass.
          I'm not one of those people who whine about Metallica being dead to me or they've sold out or anything like that, because they haven't and it's just plain stupid saying something like that. They're a great band and have always been.

Long live Metallica- the Icon!

Comment

What are the times for the UK?

Jamesy

Comment

OK..........here's my speech, .02 cents, etc.

I too was a fan of Metallica right before they got signed. I even got laughed at by my friends who thought they sounded rediculous at the time. I had a copy of Metal Up Your Ass and the Metal Blade compilation album. I have several t-shirts, ticket stubs, CD's, posters and even my back patch on my Levi jacket from back in the day is Metallica-Damage Inc. I guess I am a true fan heart and soul.

Change is hard to accept for many people. Metallica paved the way as did Megadeth shortly after. Heavy Metal went in directions never dreamed of before. When it all caught on everybody was doing it. Hell, even DRI went from punk to record "Crossover" which was a direct result of what Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and several others were doing at the time. Metallica brought their unique sound to the spotlight and basicaly gave all of us a gift that has inspired our playing to this day. From Kill Em All to the Black Album you can obviously see the change. Music Evolves. If it didn't we would still be beating thigh bones together and chanting like cavemen. Metallica evolved as well and ventured into new areas that showcased their playing abilities and influences. Did Metallica sell out? HELL YEAH THEY DID! I for one would not live in a trailer park and put out underground records and starve just to satisfy a group of people who don't want me to sell out. If I were to make money doing what I love I would want to be a success at it and for sure would like to make a good living doing it. I don't agree with everything Metallica has done, but I can't say it all sucks. There's Ozzy songs that suck. I don't dislike OZZY though. Hell, he's one of the biggest sell outs of this decade with the reality show on M tv and his kids getting pimped out for albums and tv shows. Metallica do what they do best.....what they want, when they want and how thay want. We can take it or leave it. As far as Kirk Hammett not playing like he used to.....true. He doesn't seem to have the passion that he did years ago. EVH went through a slump too on 0U812. I'd be willing to bet St. Anger sells big and Metallica will be on top of this new metal genre. Why not. They were on top in the MOP and AJFA days too. That was our time. My dad, a big Beatles fan would always complain about metal being a bunch of no talent crap. He was talking about Dokken, RATT, Scorpions, Metallica, Twisted Sister, etc. Now alot of us sound like our fathers complaining about nu-metal, etc. Were musicians. We should embrace the new. Besides, we should feel good about ourselves. Most of us here can play circles around any nu-metal guitarists anyway. Metallica sounds good now as compared to Load and Re-Load. I for one will buy the CD, T-shirt and go see em in concert.

Disclaimer:I'm not bagging on anybody else here who has an opinion possitive or negative. I just think we are being a little over critical. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey I finally saw the show.
                1. Sum 41: was ok
                2. Avril: wrong song for her to sing
                3. Snoop: was a joke. Did he just need an excuse to get into the spotlight again [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                4. Stained: I still do not like that guys singing
                5. Korn: I actually like their performance. But I did not like Head & Monkeys tone. They had way to much chorus in the mix
                6. Metallica: They can apparently still thrash, although I don't know about that new song. I'll wait to hear the whole album before I make a final judgement on it. But I think it is safe to say it is not early Metallica.
                KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

I agree with Jon!! Hell, I think Kory Clarke from Warrior Soul said it best... as soon as someone puts out any album or merchandise for sale, they've already sold out. Anyone claiming they're just in it because they love the music and don't care about the money is full of crap. Most of these bands would be doing something else with their lives if they didn't make money with their music. Metallica just got more popular and kept selling more and more and expanding their musical direction. I never see anyone bagging on Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden Judas Priest or any other bands that played a couple songs heavier and others a little more mellow. Maybe Metallica at one time said they weren't going to put out and ballads or do videos, but they got older and changed their minds and decided they wanted longevity in their feild and not just rehash the same old stuff. It's a shame they had to use Jason as a scapegoat and take a lot of their anger and grief over Cliff's death out on him for 14 years until he couldn't take it any longer... but it seems they're coming back on track and are more focused than ever. I look forward to seeing them back on top and doing things their way! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

BUT WHEN ARE THE UK TIMES?!?!?!?!?!
                    [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

James

Comment

Sorry, Jamesy... I don't know. Maybe check your local cable TV listing or TV Guide? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks jon and toejam. at least some people had some positive stuff to say about metallica. i mean, if you think about it, there probably isn't a lot of people on this board that have made it in the big time, so they can't rant and rave about how much metallica has sold out because they don't know what it's like to be a big friggin' rock star and have all that pressure from fans and producers. i'm not saying that i have made it big time, but you have to look at from both sides.
                        the trend is dead r.i.p. dime

Comment

My belated thoughts:
                          1. Sum 41: very good except vocals.
                          4. Stained: why? a worthless cover.
                          2. Avril: actually enjoyed her vocal version of Fuel (hey, M's version isn't great).
                          3. Snoop: beyond a joke.
                          5. Korn: good, especially during the fast parts.
                          7. Jim Bruer: embarrassing. his AC/DC routine is funny but Hetfield is lame.
                          8. Limp Biz: ok, not bad for a nu-metal version.
                          6. Metallica: good on the old stuff, new song questionable (jury still out)

Comment

Lol NEVER!!!!!
                            [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            Its on tonight. Ill have a looksee

Jamesy

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'm one of those people who like to say stuff that's just plain stupid...Metallica is dead and they sold out.

Okay, they're not actually dead...I mean...I guess the guys on the ICON stage kinda looked like Metallica. But, I'm not 100% convinced...because I know how realistic animatronics can seem these days. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                                X