MTV Icon - Metallica - Tonight 9PM EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTV Icon - Metallica - Tonight 9PM EST

I hated Korn's guitar sound, but otherwise it was okay. Limp Bisquick did an okay job. Atleast he got most of the lyrics right (unlike his cover of wish you were here). Snoop Dogg was horrible. I was hoping a lighting truss would fall on him the whole time.

The new Metallica song sounds very promising. I really look forward to this album. I was also intrigued with some of the sing choices in their medley. To have "Blackened" in it was very cool.

[ May 06, 2003, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Jim Shine ]

Comment

Did anyone else notice that none of the bands played the solos to the songs? The guitarist from Avril Lavines band tried, but you could tell he was struggling and it wasn't even the entire solo.

Comment

In case you missed it, you can still catch it:

Here are the air times for mtv:ICON METALLICA

All times are EST

Tuesday May 6 2003 9:00 PM
        Wednesday May 7 2003 06:00 PM
        Friday May 9 2003 2:00 PM
        Saturday May 10 2003 5:30 PM
        Sunday May 11 2003 1:30 PM
        Sunday May 11 2003 8:30 PM

Comment

I don;t see a problem with that. None of the guitarists on there were lead players. Would you rather hear no leads or TERRIBLE attempts at Leads? hehehe Heck, Kirk didn't even play a lead until the very end of the medley and it was just a short little outro.

I though the show was great and all the bands did a decent job other than the Snoop masacre.

I thought the new song seemed.... Wierd... Dunno if I liked it or not. I'll just have to wait until the album comes out to say for sure. It may be one of those albums that has to grow on me.

Comment

Originally posted by KingV1:
            Did anyone else notice that none of the bands played the solos to the songs? The guitarist from Avril Lavines band tried, but you could tell he was struggling and it wasn't even the entire solo.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yeah.. what kind of band plays a tribute to Metallica playing their songs without the solos? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Then again, I think it's up for debate whether or not Kirk can even play those solos anymore. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Jim Bruer was the best [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] i'm serious. yeh the new song sounded wierd

Comment

They better air that over here... I swear. Just so I can laugh at Avril Lavigne and watch Metallica.

I think it was shown over here and I missed it, thinking it was a States only thing. Hopefully, it'll be repeated. *fingers crossed*

Comment

I watched an hour of it. Jim Breuer was the best of course. Avril sucked, she can't sing, it sounded horrible, the guitarist doing back up sounded more like a chick than she did. I actually saw a picture of her without make up...BUTTTTTT UGLYYYYY. I thought she was supposed to be anti-pop but she sure cakes herself in make up who would have thought? I saw Staind's little performance. I hate how is vocals drone on and on and on that same note over and over and over. I don't really like Korn, I saw them live when I was in 7th grade. But they forgot to play the rest of One including the faster solo at the end. I thought the solos they did do were kinda half-assed. It sounded like they only hit main notes in the scale. Agreeing with the census Snoop Dogg was horrible, although provided me with a REALLY good laugh. I thought it was kind of stupid that Rob Zombie said "In all the make up and big hair one band came out..." I promise that there were more than Metallica that played without makeup back then. Savatage released their first album in '83. It is my opinion but they are WAY better than Metallica. Slayer released an album in '83. I know Mercyful Fate wore some make up but come on...they would sacrifice Metallica to satan! I then took a shower. Oh yeah, Lars looked like someone beat him up and took a piss on his head.

edit:
                  Forgot to add how I personally feel about Metallica. It is their music their lives, they can do what ever they want. If you don't like it don't listen to it. So I don't. But I don't think anyone has a right to tell someone what they can and can't write, even if they write as bad as Metallica.

[ May 07, 2003, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: Disco Dave ]

Comment

DD, they didnt "forget" to play the rest of the song and solo, Kirk probably cant even pull that solo off anymore, let alone, munky or head.
                    I went to the sick and twisted tour when i was in 7th grade too [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] . it was a great concert, but i dont like em anymore.

Comment

Actually, I thought "Pimp Jizzdick" was the best, maybe tied with Sum 41. Can't belive their guitarist could play the Master Of Puppets solo.

Comment

*shrugs* he played it wrong, and screwed up a few times though.

Comment

Like I said in the other thread, I couldn't figure out if Snoop was trying to sing, or was he trying to keep a normal monotonous(I hope that is correct [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) tone throughout the song? Either way it sucked ass and I couldn't laugh because I was too embarrased for him. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I didn't see the Avril part, but I will catch it the next time.

My favorite performace was by Korn.

Comment

limp was the most pathetic god awful thing i have ever seen.

i hate korn but i gotta give them credit, they did a great one i thought.

averil was a joke, i mean the guitarist couldnt even play the fuel solo. thats just sad.

Comment

A few things struck me after watching this.

MTV Icon is nothing but a big commercial that showcases a big band and flavor of the minute MTV bands. With that in mind, I took the show with a grain of salt. All the bands that performed weren't there because Metallica influenced them. They were there to get promotion by MTV.

Also, when will MTV learn how to mix a live show??? I couldn't tell whether most of the bands played shortened sets or if MTV edited them.

On to the performances:
                              Sum 41: sounded good and actually played a solo.

Avril: zero stage presence. I think Fuel is one of the lamest Metallica songs along with Sandman. Her voice was too buried for me to judge it.

Stained: Quit whining already.

Snoop: I love Snoop. Entertaining and bizarre. Plus, he had Archbishop Don the Magic Wand on stage with him [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Limp Bizkit: Pure crap. Fred can't sing. Stop the sing along already.

Korn: I like Korn. Their performance was okay but didn't do anything for me.

Jim Bruer: Very funny.

Metallica: I dug the medley. Fast and tight. James got some of his growl back. The new song...I liked it. But with the crappy MTV mix, hard to hear all the nuances.

Comment

Why does everybody assume that Kirk can't play anymore? Christ.
                                Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                                X