MTV Icon - Metallica - Tonight 9PM EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MTV Icon - Metallica - Tonight 9PM EST

Ya know, in my opinion,(and it is just an opinion)even if Metallica came out with an album as heavy as Kill 'Em All, I still wouldn't buy it, or probably even listen to it. I was a huge Metallica fan back in the day...I was into them before they were even signed. I had the original "Metal Up Your @ss" casette. (anyone ever heard that? Hetfeild trying to be a lead singer? Hit the Lights was..um..something else)I saw them open for Raven (remember them?) in a little 300 person club, and nobody even knew who Metallica was. But as they got bigger, and more full of themselves, and started writing bad ballad after ballad, I just lost respect for them. And that's the whole issue for me: I have no respect for them anymore. They're going "heavy" because that's what's popular now, and don't kid yourselves, that's what it's about, or else they would never be going out with Limp Biscuit. If tomorrow the popular thing was sitar music, they'd be wearing Ravi Shankar robes and twanging away. I remember how they used to be (musically and personality-wise) and that's where it ends for me. I hope they do well, but I won't be one of thier "supporters". I just can't get behind folks that don't respect. But that's just my 2 cents, like everyone elses. Now back to your regularly scheduled program. [img]graemlins/rant.gif[/img]

Comment

an album as heavy as.....tum tum tum tum...kill em all....lol, you gotta be kidding. Justice eats kill em all alive, in fact, anything after kill em all eats kill em all. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

sum 41 did a great job, other than the vocals.

it just doesnt fit the style, works great for pop punk, but not for metal.

(for the record i hate pop punk, real punk i like, pop punk i hate)

bruer was great, my favorite part was het at the end "i dont sound like that do i? YEAHH!!!! guess i do"

averil should have been naked. that would have made her worth watching.

i'll be buying st. anger, but i wont buy another tshirt or any other merchandice or go to the concert. they'll get my 20 bucks for the cd, but thats all they get.

i still dont get why they are tuning down like that, but i am glad they are still playing like they used to with it instead of going to 2 powerchord crap. but i'm still disappointed that they're doing it.

i've heard one band that i liked the downtuning, and that one included the master of heavy mr. tony iommi. other than that, i've never heard a band do it well in my opinion. sure i liked when metallica did minus human, but i never wanted a whole album tuned down like that.

[ May 08, 2003, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Prof_Oblivion ]

Comment

alexi7 you are so wrong! kill'em all is one of the greatest heavy metal albums of all time. the beginning of hit the lights starts with the big metal ending, then it ripps into a fast ass riff and the solo's are just outta control!!! all thanks to dave and james. its funny that Dave wrote half of gaytallica's best songs.

why do you not think its heavy? because the guitar sound isn't all bassy like AJFA? the guitar sound on Kill'em All is better that AJFA, you can actually hear the bass guitar and it doesn't blow car stereo speakers! its raw, fast, and loud, sorry it isn't all gay and numetal like they sound now. that isn't cool. they had the heavy metal sound back then and don't have it anymore. guitar should be mids and treble while the bass guitar should be your low end. all this new metal sh1t has just got it all wrong. 4 string low end guitarist that arn't heard, 6 string bass factories that sound like ass, and forget a solo, that's against the numetal rules. heavy is not a metaphor for low end, its a feeling, an emotion created by a combination of notes and drum patterns, not "who has the most bass in their guitar sound". gaytallica had that emotion on kill'em all, and slowly lost it with each album.

i still like AJFA, its one of the ultimate 3 guitar albums, i just hate the mix. all these numetal bands might as well fire there 4 string guitarist. (the guy who thinks he plays bass but really plays the exact same thing as the guitarist except an octave or 2 lower which isn't heard by anyone since the guitarist has such a "heavy" guitar sound.) makes me sick! thanks to gaytallica for making that the standard for "heavy metal" bands when they put out AJFA. gay gay gay!
          go listen to "THEM" by King Diamond, thats heavy as ****, and the bass guitar work is amazing (oh and you can hear it too!) heavy is in the writing of a song, not a guitar sound!
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

.mp3's of the show at www.allmetallica.com

Comment

Instead of being anal, and overly critical of an already great band, Im just gonna say that I was overjoyed when they were playing the new song. It just seemed so kick ass and natural to them at the same time. Whoever was saying they couldnt understand what what was happening cuz of the mix must not watch tv very much cuz through my buddies kick ass home theater, Metallica had one of the best mixes ive heard on a live tv performance. Overall one of the most entertaining things on tv in quite some time. I wonder what brand their "Metallica" 4x12's were. Also, did anyone notice any amps besides the dual recto's on stage? I dug snoop,its not like he's trying to prove he can sing/rap a metallica song, he's showing support for metal fuking music by even being there. Most rappers would have rather spent the evening smoking blunts, but Snoop was trying to tell everyone that, yes......Metallica is cool.

Comment

Erock, I'm almost positive those are Mesa cabs. They just yanked off the Mesa logos and got the M logo thing painted on.

Comment

I agree with Subvamp. If Snoop Dogg comes down to the Immolation show coming up, and moshes in the front of the pit while singing along to "No Jesus, No Beast", THEN and only then will I think that he truly supports metal.

Metallica can all fall straight into the sky for all I care. The people who made Kill 'Em All are dead. The whole band died on the bus wreck, the record label simply couldn't find a Cliff Burton look-alike like they did for the rest of the band.

And for the record, I think Limp B!tches is the worst band EVER. I actually handed out flyers in front of my local Guitar Center(which happens to be the huge one on Sunset Blvd) when Fred Durst was pulling that Limp B!tches audition sh!t and ripping everyone's music off. I got a little attention from the news, but what I really wanted was Fred to come out so I could kick his punk a$$.

[ May 08, 2003, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Ace ]

Comment

What, pray tell, did your infamous flyers talk about? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] Got any left? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hey Erock, I too have a kick ass home theater and I think the mix on the show overall wasn't very good. It's good for MTV, which isn't saying a lot. And yes, I watch TV an awful lot [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

They warned everyone that Fred Durst was making them sign over the rights to 60 seconds of original music to him to use as he pleases. It said in the contract that "acknoledgment will be given in the liner notes, if space allows" if your music is used. It was like this huge contract that you had to sign. I will dig around for some more fo those extra flyers, I will post one if I can find them.

Comment

lol i love how everyone has a "big metallica speach" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Did I see Blink 182 play a Metallica song or am was I blind [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img] Also, it really sucks to see them play all of those ESPeeee guitars instead of Jackson`s and Gibson Explorer`s. There New Bassist seams pretty cool so far and they are actually treating him decent. But I also think they died with Master Of Puppet`s, I didn`t like anything else afterwards, but I would like to hear the whole New album before I pass judgement on that one [img]graemlins/brow.gif[/img] Jack. P.S. Does Korn sound very sterile sound wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Kamo:
                              lol i love how everyone has a "big metallica speach" [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">speech

Here, or on the show?
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here. and at the ESP board. Every metallica thread has a whole lotta speeches from everyone ^.^ I've written a few myself.

Anyway, Korn sounded like "Korn" to me lol. They were playing Metallica's One, but it still sounded like Korn with the adlib guitar and bass stuff. *shrugs* Oh, and James used a Gibson Explorer; Not an ESPee ^.^

Comment

Working...
                                X