Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yngwie lands Fender signature guitar, Hostess endorsement

Lerxstcat,
    Very well articulated view. I agreed that all people are bias to some degree towards one thing or another. I was speaking specifically of a guitarist bias as it relates to proficiency and the unbaised approach a non-muscian has also as it relates to proficiency.

The cool thing about the discussion is that there are no wrong answers. My view is he is not musical and yours is that he is musical. Works for me, we agree to disagree. Any other thoughts from either side regarding this?

Mark

Comment

I agree completley Lerx.

As for whether or not Yngwie is musical, I have no doubt in my mind that he is. Listen to his Concerto Suite stuff. If it's because he uses fast scales and arpeggios then that's BS.

People used to tell Mozart he used too many scales and arpeggios in his music, some people still say that.

*Destroyer* Who gives a flying **** who's fat or who's not? That's to everyone else who likes to poke fun at people because they are overweight. Michael Romeo is an amazing guitar player. If he is a good person, then who cares if he's 400 pounds or 150 pounds?

Comment

To answer Word first, I think most people who find Yngwie unmusical fall into 2 camps: those who don't like classical music, and thus don't like neoclassical; and those who are intimidated by his ability. Hey, I'M intimidated by his ability too, but I love it too!
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] I enjoy classical music very much (also flamenco), but I dislike neoclassical, so that must put me in the second group. Oh, wait, that would mean that I dislike anybody who plays better than me or who intimidates me with their ability. Boy, I sure must hate a lot of players [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] (Randy, Warren, Robbin, my God, the list is huge.) I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the main Malmsteen defence of "If you don't like him, it *must* be because you're jealous of his talent." How come nobody understands that a lot of people just don't like listeneing to him?

Comment

Yngwie still has it going on. I think he is misunderstood as an arrogant a$$hole.

I find him to be very musical, his first Rising Force album is a classic and underrated in my opinion. To me Rising force is of equal value to influencing guitarists as much as Blizzard of Ozz and Van Halen I.
          shawnlutz.com

Comment

I often wonder,when reading interviews with YJM,whether he tends to speak in a very "tongue-in-cheek" manner - jokingly making "outspoken" comments in the same way that we Brits often do.
            When transcribed,the vocal inflections would not come across,and he would be misunderstood as actually meaning what he says....

Comment

i love yngwie, just dont like listening to his music that often. have to be in a mood. I agree with rising force, it launched a whole new style of guitar playing. yes others played quick stuff before ie: dimeola, but yngwie nailed it.

alcatrazz no parole from rock n' roll is a GREAT cd. yngwie is ripping any chance he can get, it seems when graham bonnet is taking a breath, yngwie throws in a lick... awesome, all that and only 19 or 20 years old.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans:
                I often wonder,when reading interviews with YJM,whether he tends to speak in a very "tongue-in-cheek" manner - jokingly making "outspoken" comments in the same way that we Brits often do.
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">He does.

I am danish and therefore close to Sweden regarding language and culture, and that "tongue-in-cheek" manner you mention is quite often used in Scandinavia and also in Britain. I would say we're quite heavy on the ironic also - to the extent that we easily get misunderstood. I have felt this personally on this multi-ethnic board as well. Me, writing posts in a foreign language (english), using my danish irony or tongue-in-cheek approach just got me in too much trouble here, so now i make my posts simple and boring (but understood for the most part) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Has this anything to do with Yngwie signatur guitar? I don't know - i forgot...
                Henrik
                AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Working...
                X