Yngwie lands Fender signature guitar, Hostess endorsement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yngwie lands Fender signature guitar, Hostess endorsement

People might rag on Yngwie but I love the guy. When he was touring the US for WTEAW I got out to see 5 of the shows and met him several times even got to have a beer with the guy. Let me tell you, I got to have a couple chats with Yngwie and he's not the ogre people make him out to be, he's a nice guy and one hell of a sports fan. Me and him sat and talked about the Mets and Jets for a long ass time.
    I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. - Ayn Rand

Comment

but in relation to this thread, Yngwie is the one who lit up the widespread interest in theory among rock players
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lerxst, you just repeated what I said in my post. I said that he took the classical thing to the next level....

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> but in relation to this thread, Yngwie is the one who lit up the widespread interest in theory among rock players
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lerxst, you just repeated what I said in my post. I said that he took the classical thing to the next level....</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well Willie, if you read the post I made just prior to that one, you'll see that
        YOU were repeating what I had just said!
        Your Blackmore/Roth/Schenker/May/Rhoads post seemed to be trying to refute that Yngwie was THE guy that sent people running to learn theory. If I misinterpreted that post of yours, my apologies.
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84:
          </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> but in relation to this thread, Yngwie is the one who lit up the widespread interest in theory among rock players
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lerxst, you just repeated what I said in my post. I said that he took the classical thing to the next level....</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Holy sh!t!! A redundant post? On here?? No way!! Man, lucky you caught that one.

[ March 24, 2003, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: VitaminG ]
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Shine:
            Yeah, there is a US Malmsteen model (I forgot about it actually). It is like the Japanese models in that it has a large headstock. The first style Malmsteen Strat has been gone since around '95 or '98.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Did you mean to say.. it's not like the later Japan large headstocks? that is a small pre CBS style. I think most Yngwie series are modeled after '71 strat nowdays...please correct me if I'm wrong.

[ March 24, 2003, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: charvelguy ]

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat:

Before Yngwie, everyone copied EVH and really din't give a rat's a$$ about theory.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Now just hold on a second! Randy Rhoads inspired just as many people to learn theory as Yngwie ever did. Don't get me wrong; I'm an Yngwie fan, but let's give credit where credit is due.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Hey, nothing against Randy Rhoads!

I personally didn't need to take theory to figure out Rhoads' stuff, but DID need
                it to get a handle on Yngwie's stuff.

You have to admit that Yngwie's music is a bit more complex than Randy's, and as someone who was playing back then, I saw many other guys who could learn Rhoads without knowing the theory behind it. It was different with Yngwie's music.

[ March 25, 2003, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: lerxstcat ]
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I would gladly gain 30 lbs to play like Yngwie....oops... I already did.

Seriously, Yngwie is without a doubt one of the greatest ever. Who cares how much he weighs.

Comment

How many of you find Yngwie musical? Given a choice would you rather be musical or the fastest player on earth?

Comment

I find Yngwie musical.

I don't understand the "Yngwie has speed but his music sucks" attitude so many people have.

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
                        I find Yngwie musical.

I don't understand the "Yngwie has speed but his music sucks" attitude so many people have.
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Please don't think that I am equating speed to being non-musical. IMO speed in the right place is magic, but speed all the time or most of the time in conjunction with one approach regardless of the type of music is mundane and not musical. I have never met an unbiased ear that thinks Yngwie is musical.

As guitarists I think we are bias and therefore blind at times to what is musical. This bias is based on the appreciation for the perceived high level of proficiency attained by the guitarist.

I respect that some people find him musical and some don't. Can you articulate why you find him musical? Do you think we as guitarist are bias and could mistake proficiency for musicality?

Mark

Comment

this is off subject a little, but i know you guys like to call yngwie fat....but have oy uever seen Michael Romeo from Symphony X? They are my favorite band and he is one of my favorite guitarists, but that guy is huge!

Comment

Can you compare Dream Evil to Symphony X? I've never heard much of either one. But I was thinking about picking up a disc or two.

Comment

Originally posted by mguitar11:

I respect that some people find him musical and some don't. Can you articulate why you find him musical? Do you think we as guitarist are bias and could mistake proficiency for musicality?

Mark [/QB]
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">To answer Word first, I think most people who find Yngwie unmusical fall into 2 camps: those who don't like classical music, and thus don't like neoclassical; and those who are intimidated by his ability. Hey, I'M intimidated by his ability too, but I love it too!

There is no such thing as an unbiased person, Mark. All human beings have biases, so the guy who loves Angus Young
                              may be biased against Yngwie, and since he can't attack the guy's technique, will
                              say he lacks "feel". Yngwie certainly has a lot of feel in his playing, though
                              his speed can overwhelm a lot of people so they're numb when he reaches that part. I could say as a critic that he maybe should put some more dynamics into his solos, but that's really nitpicking.
                              He changed the course of metal guitar probably more than EVH, though he's less
                              acknowledged for it.

His fast scales and arpeggios give me an
                              impression of flight, the solos soaring over the arrangements. The arrangements
                              themselves, not hummable Top 40 ditties, are beautiful studies of the art of Classical and Baroque small ensemble music applied to a metal context. They
                              show the deepest love and respect for both classical and rock music, and were
                              mostly composed with little regard to what would be commercially successful.
                              That's art as expression, not as market
                              campaign - it still captures MY imagination!

This doesn't mean I don't like simple stuff too - I was reminiscing over at Sully's Love/Hate thread, and that was a
                              band that glorified the simple in rock and life! They were great, and Yngwie is great!! Both have feel, if you are open to it.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

yay Lerx! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X